Steering wheel color '58 Roadmaster

highcking

My 1958 Roadmaster's  steering wheel has a few cracks so I'd like to have it redone. The question is the color. Whatever color the plastic was originally, sun exposure and age have shifted it to a sort of mottled pale green. The interior is a blend of black fabric and a pale blue-gray vinyl. The body is Laurel Mist/White. My instinct is to match the vinyl. Thoughts?

Bill in Luray Va

Dupont Bulletin #29 for 1958 Buick lists a "silver mist metallic" paint. This color would be an excellent blend for the new interior. Oddly, though, the column and the lower dash seem to be wearing original paint and it isn't silver. I think these parts were taken off a parts car and never repainted. It would be a very tricky job even for a pro to repaint these areas the correct silver. 

I am not sure, but if you could send me photo of your body tag I could look into it, but maybe the column and lower dash are correct original paint on your car, and are this silver-gray that I did find for 1958 Buick, silver-gray Ditzler PPG # 31722, it also shows "Interior"  Close to PPG # 21260 is what you need. Just as lancemb stated steering column and lower dash should be the same color, that could be why "silver mist" does not match your steering column and lower dash, as they both should match in color.  You can view these PPG codes on: www.paintref.com

just google 1958 Buick interior paint color codes. 

I hope this helps.

Bob

Bill, the way we determine the original color of a steering wheel is to break it down and get a core sample from the inside of the plastic, sand and polish the core sample and then do a color match to our color samples.  All of these Roadmaster wheels were color cast and not painted.  We have the mold and can recast it for you.  Your wheel should match the steering column.

Dave

DandDAutomobilia.com

Edited by 61polara (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Dave - many thanks for that information. When I have a few other things finished on the car, I'll pull the wheel and send it along. I didn't know that was how the origibal color was determined, but it makes sense.

Roadmaster 75 - love to have the pictures. I'm working with a car that had already been "restored" so determining original features is tough on anything. My plan was to attend the Buick National this summer and look at some correct cars...but that didn't work out.

Bill 

• Like 1

Thanks for sending! What a lovely car in a great setting. I live on a farm in rural Virginia, looks very much the same. I see the seatbelts. Any recollection on how those were installed? The front seat has no pass-through between the bottom and the back, making it quite a challenge. One I haven’t solved yet.