Is this '41 Cadillac one of the best "barn find" pics you've ever seen? It's for sale in Ohio for $2k...

My son just bought a John Deere B out of that barn. (501 cubic inch 2-cylinder gas) No starter!!

That will keep you young!

There is another Cadillac as well.

Luckily, the D fared better. It is currently running.

Dennis

• Like 1

Guano, or bird poop in today’s language was a highly sought after fertilization method in the late 19th century.  The car in question can be used as a field fertilizer device for quite some time before any serious restoration takes place.

The 1941 Cadillac is a Fleetwood 60 Special sedan, one of the 4,101 of the body style built.  This was the fourth and final model year for the original Bill Mitchell-designed 3-box sedan, 60 Special body, one of the most influential designs of the immediate pre-WWII years. 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Lebowski said:

There's no need for you to be an a**hole with that idiotic response. If you can't think of anything intelligent to say then feel free to STFU and move on to the next thread.... :wacko:

Easy there, killer. Read what I wrote again. It was a joke about auction companies carefully preserving the dirt on "barn finds" so that the new owner can pretend he found it. They seem to think it adds value to leave it dirty. That's all I meant--nothing personal, nothing regarding you, but if this is your personal car and I hurt your feelings by joking about the bird poop, I'm sorry. Please let us know in the future so we'll know not to have any more fun.

• Like 2

NO - NOT A DEAL AT ANY COST - amazingly difficult and expensive cars to restore (ex. acres of die cast chrome) and unfortunately have a lower value than cost of most of the restorations ever done on any of them (aka get a done one that  someone is loosing their shirt on in sale). 

19 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

carefully preserving the dirt on "barn finds" so that the new owner can pretend he found it. They seem to think it adds value to leave it dirty. 

Yes, dirt does add value to at least the seller = the dirt hides the flaws that will cost you another 20K to correct that were not anticipated over other restoration costs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
3 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

Yes, dirt does add value to at least the seller = the dirt hides the flaws that will cost you another 20K to correct that were not anticipated over other restoration costs.

Isn't it sort of like opening a gift in a Christmas raffle when you hose it off?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
22 hours ago, Lebowski said:

This car that has sat in a barn for years. It has the motor in it but no transmission. Interior looks like the outside. Price is negotiable.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/603826710314967

Image may contain: people sitting and car

How do you break the front bumper on one of these - it is like 3/16 inches thick and ... (aka I suspect a 60 mph accident would perhaps bend one, but ....) ?

At the risk of hurled brickbats, this '41 60 Special parts car plus a good example could be the basis to build yourself or contract a build a version of the 60 Special Fleetwood Custom Executive sedans for top GM executives, those that were lengthened mid-ship and lowered roof height.  Think of a 60 Special version of "The Duchess" one-off custom for the Duke and Duchess of Windsor.  

• Like 1
On 8/28/2020 at 3:35 PM, dl456 said:

My son just bought a John Deere B out of that barn. (501 cubic inch 2-cylinder gas) No starter!!

That will keep you young!

There is another Cadillac as well.

Luckily, the D fared better. It is currently running.

Dennis

I'm curious about the other Cadillac.  What else does the seller have in there?

The other thought is when considering the popularity of "cars with patina" I would be inclined to power wash the whole thing, get a transmission in it, (preferably a 3 speed stick) remove the bird pooped seat covering, fix the mechanical issues,  then drive it as-is. 

16 hours ago, ericmac said:

I'm curious about the other Cadillac.  What else does the seller have in there?

The other thought is when considering the popularity of "cars with patina" I would be inclined to power wash the whole thing, get a transmission in it, (preferably a 3 speed stick) remove the bird pooped seat covering, fix the mechanical issues,  then drive it as-is. 

They usually do not go like that (aka Pipe dream as they say) - the engine blocks due to whatever the steel tend to flake rust and that clogs up all the water passages and radiator - you get into a lot of issues with that if someone tried to run one with the issue.  That said - not much more expensive to rebuild one than a Ford V-8 and parts pretty plentiful, but quality parts a little more expensive and little harder to find.  As a sidnote - Automatic's are fine, but pre-war Automatic whine/hum and a lot of people put in a later as they do not like that - the Standard is pretty bullet proof though, but on a 30K mile car it took me 5 to get one together that I thought was "perfect" - just me though.   And, they are hardwood structural sill cars - they sit on two planks that are probably 2 inches thick and 7 feet long (and those tended to rot due to can being pretty advanced design for a wooden sill).  They are are very expensive to restore as it really is a handbuilt car and the fit/finish was not that great (yes, i said that).  And, they have more die cast trim on them than just about anything ever made.  

• Like 1

I buy stuff like that. Done it quite a few times. I don't have any now. I farted around with them for a while, cleaned and polished what would clean and polish, made some pretty good looking sow's ears, and sold them all. Imagine I will do it again, maybe a few times.

Do you know the true definition and origin of sauntering? Sixty or so years of sauntering through the old car hobby ain't that bad.

Bernie