Is a '56 Bel Air 2 door always a hardtop or did it come as a sedan too?

Lebowski

I really like this car which is being sold by a used car lot about 45 minutes from my house. It's a '56 Bel Air two door sedan so my question is did it come from the factory that way or was it originally a 210 or 150? I always thought that the Bel Air two doors were hardtops and the 210 and 150 models were sedans. I would also appreciate it if some of you guys could take a look at the 29 pics and tell me what you think of it. It looks pretty clean underneath to me which is always a good sign. Is that a power steering unit barely visible in one of the engine pics? Do you think it's worth $27k? Thanks....

https://www.abellandgillahancars.com/vdp/16564569/Used-1956-Chevrolet-Bel-Air-for-sale-in-Mt-Washington-KY-40047#

62B50064-E48A-4197-B0E5-23ADD9B3018E.jpeg

Not bad but the photos don't tell us much about the quality of the bodywork or the underbody. The interior is pretty low-rent and whomever cut out the radiator cradle to install the radiator should probably not be allowed to work on cars ever again. But these are simple cars with huge aftermarket support, so upgrades are always easy and you can always make repairs and fixes to previous issues while you drive and enjoy it. Is the price too much? That's for you to decide. It's $15,000 less than I got for this one last week--could you turn that '56 into this car for $15,000? Maybe.

007.thumb.JPG.0e1d9626a015d8b1865232e70c07ff6f.JPG

https://www.harwoodmotors.com/vehicles/inventory_details.php?id=1197

I personally find the '56s to be the prettiest of the Tri-Fives, but as the other thread demonstrates, everyone has their own favorite. The '56s are also the least common simply because of a strike-shortened production year, but I don't really think that makes them any more valuable. 

And seriously--a Bigfoot accelerator pedal? The guys who do that ought to have their own feet removed.

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

Second on that ID plate. It was obviously removed and riveted back on. It might not even belong to this particular vehicle. There are usually secondary VIN numbers stamped on the frame somewhere. Your local Highway Patrol office can advise you on that. In California that VIN tag would be a huge red flag. This car would probably be impounded until the numbers could be verified. I wouldn't consider this car until it got a clean bill of health from the State Police.

Edited by Rivguy
typo (see edit history)

7 hours ago, Rivguy said:

In California that VIN tag would be a huge red flag. 

I've registered old cars here where the plate with the serial number was attached with Phillips screws and not rivets. Remember this is Kentucky and not California. I'm going to pass on it so thanks to all who responded.... 

Edited by Lebowski (see edit history)

Im with you Matt, I like the 56 model year the best.  The original question reminds me, a few years back a buddy of mine was on  the hunt for a '57. I came across one down the street from me sitting at a scrap yard, price seemed too good to be true. It looked really good and complete. I gave him a call and he came over the next weekend (2 hr round trip) so we could take a look at it. Come to find out it was a 4 door that had been welded in and made to look like a 2 door. He told me before he got there that he suspected as much but couldnt really tell from my picture. I was a bit embarrassed to put him through the trouble but I did learn about 57's and their tricks a bit more that day.

19 hours ago, Lebowski said:

I really like this car which is being sold by a used car lot about 45 minutes from my house. It's a '56 Bel Air two door sedan so my question is did it come from the factory that way or was it originally a 210 or 150? I always thought that the Bel Air two doors were hardtops and the 210 and 150 models were sedans. I would also appreciate it if some of you guys could take a look at the 29 pics and tell me what you think of it. It looks pretty clean underneath to me which is always a good sign. Is that a power steering unit barely visible in one of the engine pics? Do you think it's worth $27k? Thanks....

https://www.abellandgillahancars.com/vdp/16564569/Used-1956-Chevrolet-Bel-Air-for-sale-in-Mt-Washington-KY-40047#

62B50064-E48A-4197-B0E5-23ADD9B3018E.jpeg

G.M. cars started using a hardtop in 1949 and they were Cadillac with it's Coupe deVille, Buick with it's Riviera, and Oldsmobile with it's Holiday.

In 1950 Pontiac and Chevrolet get their hardtops. Chevrolet's hardtop is BelAir and Pontiac's is Catalina.

In 1953 Chevrolet used the name BelAir for all it's top of the line models. So now you could buy a BelAir 4 door sedan.  

Maybe just me but in the two door sedan body style, while available as  Bel Aire, I think the 210 trim, paint scheme looks a little better.  You can get a 210 hardtop, I think a little more unusual than a Bel Aire two door sedan.  Lots of these out there.  Expect a 25% premium for an original car (as in orig engine) in a good body style.  I had a 56, and it drew lots of attention.

That said, still think you should buy the Cord. 🙂