1937 coupe that turned out to be a 1938 deluxe coupe

Well dummy me or lucky me. <G> was talking with Wayne Brandon , great guy, looking for parts and found he is very involved with the Plymouth club. My car was appraised as a 1937 and that's what the title says but Wayne's checking found it turns out be a 1938 deluxe coupe P6 B CPE. We also found out the car was made in Windsor Canada. I guess Canada added a little more info on there tags then the cars built in the USA. Anyways the serial number gave us the Canadian connection. Guess l will have to figure out what deluxe means but the word sounds good . Sorry to lead all down the wrong path. My nick name is two times Tim. Guess it fits. Lol!

Don't worry about that! In those days, it was not uncommon to have a car titled in the year it was sold and not the year of production. Happened a lot with early built cars. I have 1 '36 Dodge that was titled a '35 because it was built and sold in December '35. Fools a lot of folks. Did you see my PM on the parts guy? Always mention the Canadian build issue. They can be a bit different than the American built cars.

Edited by jpage (see edit history)

Ha! It happens...That grill was a clue to me that it was a 38. My '38 Sedan was also built in Canada. Just so happens it has spent its whole life in Canada, where it still resides today. Additionally my 38 was insured and registered as a 1939 model.

On the Canadian versus USA build, I am not sure what the differences are aside from the square Robertson screw heads you'll likely find. Look at the metal window opening trim in the door. Likely held on with Robertson screws. I assume you have the stock 201 engine. 3 speed. 3.9:1 rear end gears.

I've have recently gone all over most systems in my 1938 Sedan. Ask away. I'm glad to help out. I have a You Tube channel that I created to upload and share all the things I have been doing to my car. To help others in the future once we're all gone... Seen here:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVoBq2i7wl4w0W4JB6cAMjg/videos

• 2 weeks later...

Well, there is quite a list l have found . I will stick with the motor which is a 1938 Truck motor made in the USA. You would think somebody switched the motor since Canada made the 217 and ID on this block indicates built in USA. Interesting point is the block has a block heater for cold weather starts. Canada equals cold weather. Was the car ordered with that block heater from the USA and shipped to Canada for installation?  Did they offer block heaters only for truck motors? Did they only install motors with block heaters in the USA? I would have to check to see if a car engine casting had a hole for a block heater or just USA truck blocks? Canada Built there own 25 inch 217 not the 201. All Canadian cars in 1938 were 217 not 201. Weird. I think my motor is original and was ordered with a block heater which came from the USA. Cant prove it though. 

Then we can get into color codes. My car is Maroon. No USA code shows maroon. Canada had there own color chart. Anyways looking closer l have the Mahogany looking dash. There were options that came with that dash which l havent quite put together yet because Canada did things different. I am assuming since the car had a block heater a actual heater that defrosted and kept you warm came with the car. I found although it was advertised you had to pay $5 extra to get the heater. Oh Dummy me thinking cars back then had turn signals. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Tim, have known Wayne since 2012, always very helpful. Your car being a Canadian build you wont be able to get a Chrysler Historical Build Card, story goes that when the Windsor Plant was shut down some of the boy had a bonfire and the microfiche slides were lost. You could get a letter from them stating that the serial # is within the 1938 build production. (I have this for my LA bult PT125) What would have been useful to you would be a follow on from ply33.com but sadly that stops at 1937, it covers the first decade of Plymouth production. have fun with your project.

Tom