1936 DODGE TAILIGHT LENS

autonut

How do you install the '36 Dodge tail light glass lens?  I can barely get it inside with a lot of effort, but cannot get it in front of the wire holder that holds it in place.  There has to be a trick to it that I am just not privy to.  Can anyone help?  Seems like a few years ago I saw an article of how it is done, but have no idea where to locate it now. Any help would be appreciated.  Don't want to break the lens since they are so hard to find.

They are not perfectly round, so I’ve started one edge carefully and with your palm lightly wind it in clockwise until the lil nub is in the lil notch. Might want to protect your bezel with masking tape. That’s how I did mine, but I’m sure other members could add some good advice. Take your time and you’ll be all good 

• Like 1

I can't find anything in any of my manuals that describes that removal and insertion of the tailight lenses. You will notice that there is a little notch on the inner rim that should be at the bottom of the housing. Check to see that the retainer spring is installed with the tabs pointed outward and at the 9 ,3 and 12 o'clock positions ,so that the slice in the ring is at the bottom at the notch. You'll notice too, that the lens has a round dot cast into it which indicates the bottom of the lens.Insert the edge nearest the dot into the rim at an angle pushing inward and down. The lens should go into the housing with enough clearance to pop into the top with a little pressure. Removal is opposite. Press in and down on the dot and that should move the lens down enough so the top pops out. Some replacement lenses tend to be a bit wide and will not fit right. I've already used my bench grinder, and good eye wear, to grind a little off of the edges of the lenses to make them fit better. Hope this helps, they can be a son of a gun.

Edited by jpage (see edit history)

If you need some grinding of the glass lens;  find someone who does or teaches stained glass.  they often have the fine wet spindle grinders to do the fine fitting work.  If they are like the artists here they will be happy to do it for you.  These machines are table top grinders and offer a lot more control than a pedestal.  

3 minutes ago, autonut said:

Thanks much for your info.  I will try again today and let you know how I come out.

Lee

If I were you, I would put down a few towels below the lamp in case it drops out of your taillight bucket or hand.

• Like 2

ALL good suggestions and thank you. The first thing I did was bring the wire ring around 180 degrees since it did not agree with one of the posts. For some reason, this made it a little easier to install and I did get it installed okay. To put silicone in is not a bad idea either. 

On 8/26/2020 at 12:31 PM, keiser31 said:

If I were you, I would put down a few towels below the lamp in case it drops out of your taillight bucket or hand.

I remember removing a headlight lens from a DeSoto Airflow once and thinking,”You ought to put some padding down in case you drop this.” about one millisecond before the lens hit the unforgiving floor. Zeke

• 2 years later...

The tail lights for my 1936 dodge D2 sedan were disassembled for a paint job.  I see that the ss bezel needs to be crimped on the housing. I am working on that.  Any ideas are appreciated.  But I do not see or understand how the retaining spring is held in place.  There does not seem to be a ridge or slot to hold it mechanically.  I am considering an industrial silicone adhesive if I can not figure it out.  Help is appreciated

Greg Gladden

gladden@airmail.net

713 443 6633

Gladden, Read the response I posted on your thread under General Discussion as I've outlined it for you. I think this should help. The springs go inside of the ring  and lock just behind the lens. The springs hold tension on the lens to keep them in place. I've included a couple of photos in the other post that should help.

Edited by jpage (see edit history)