'48 Super Woodie Wagon project FS

Restorer32

100% complete including all woodie specific hardware.  All wood has been disassembled and is only good for patterns. 1/3 to 1/2 of wood has been replicated in ash as original and is included in sale. Pics are problematic as car is stuffed in my garage with all the wood, new as well as old,  stacked on it.  Great opportunity for an talented woodworker.  Asking $17500.  Free delivery within 250 miles of 17327.  Restoration also available.  Good title.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Without any photos of anything, it's impossible to get an idea of how much of a project this would be. Therefore, one has to assume the worst about all of the car--body rusted (?); roof still in place or collapsed (?); interior any good or devoured by mice (?); engine intact or apart (?). I wouldn't give $2000 for it until some of those questions were answered or photos posted. Been taken advantage of too many times by not seeing photos first of what I was buying.

Pete Phillips

Restorer32, 

I mean no disrespect.  There is, overall, a glut of cars in the marketplace.  I guess if I was in the right position I would jump at it.  But most of us wannabes say that.  I have owned 270 cars in 40 years, so I am or was a buyer.  I know or think I know - you specialize in woodies.  Didn't you have a 1949 Olds woodie for sale a while back and have owned other 1946-48 Buick Woodies?   

There is a lot of wealth wrapped up by retirees and a lot of the men buy "old" cars but more of them are buying modern "halo" cars.  They want the rush and fun of ownership of a convertible but don't want to work at it.  Even used Corvettes are plentiful.  

This specialty car - your Woodie - clearly needs an ebay auction to find the right buyer at the right price.  

Actually, it's a good project. Customer of ours bought it so we could use the wood as patterns to build him a '47 Cadillac Woodie. All the wood was disassembled to use as patterns. None of it is good enough to use other than as patterns. Car runs, though it has been a while,  and is 100% complete including all woodie specific door handles etc. It does need some metal work but not a lot.  All in all a good candidate for restoration.  We traded the customer some work for the car. Our original intent was to produce complete wood kits for the '46-'48 Buick Estate Wagon. We definitely do not specialize in woodies. We did do the Cadillac and the '49 Olds woodie. We do do a good bit of other auto wood work in addition to our usual resto work. It would cost at least $30k to reproduce all the wood. Sometime back I priced a set of wood for a Ford woodie and it was $29k. Lots of wood in a '46-'48 Buick. We also reproduced all the woodie specific brackets, latches and door hinges for the Cadillac woodie we built including making the elaborate tube front and rear seat frames in polished stainless.

• 3 weeks later...