Jump to content

Ron’s 1928 DB Senior Phaeton


Mattml430
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 9/19/2020 at 11:20 AM, Ron Lawson said:

 

Rich, If you set every thing up with your body on the chassis then remove it for painting I can't see any major problems as it will be going back with the same spacers etc 

Thanks Ron.  Did you find that the door catches had to be really precise or do they have a reasonable tolerance to variation?  The latch part on the door on mine has a angle on the back of the latch and I wasn’t sure if that was to allow variations in closing position or if it was just years of wear against the catch.  Photo below shows the section I mean.

52EEBB3A-16A4-4633-97A4-19D91DF48741.jpeg.d42cdde97f3414226f911189818623ff.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, RichBad said:

Thanks Ron.  Did you find that the door catches had to be really precise or do they have a reasonable tolerance to variation?  The latch part on the door on mine has a angle on the back of the latch and I wasn’t sure if that was to allow variations in closing position or if it was just years of wear against the catch.  Photo below shows the section I mean.

52EEBB3A-16A4-4633-97A4-19D91DF48741.jpeg.d42cdde97f3414226f911189818623ff.jpeg

Sorry Rich I have just given you another job They are worn, should be parallel. I dismantled all of my locks because they were so worn in the same area as yours and also on the part that  where the outside handle fits in was crook Welded all of them up just like new ones now Word of warning  if you have to dismantle them heat the little tangs up to cherry red before you try to straighten them . If not they will snap off Hope I have been of some help 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, RichBad said:

Hi Ron,

Not sure if you’ve seen Rob Teal’s work on facebook - he’s made a complete screen frame from scratch - not sure if there are any useful tips there?  Also some of it is on you tube - 

 

Thanks Rich I have seen that I have tried to get in touch with Rob without any luck I believe that he has shut up shop Dont know if it's temp or permanent

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, RichBad said:

Hi Ron,

Not sure if you’ve seen Rob Teal’s work on facebook - he’s made a complete screen frame from scratch - not sure if there are any useful tips there?  Also some of it is on you tube - 

 

He’s a pretty clever bloke. He did really well to make that he’s got some great old machines. 
I wanna see Ron do the tummy bend with his windshield frame. Hahah. When we shaped yours Rich did we use timber in the press to support it , I just forget now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Mattml430 said:

He’s a pretty clever bloke. He did really well to make that he’s got some great old machines. 
I wanna see Ron do the tummy bend with his windshield frame. Hahah. When we shaped yours Rich did we use timber in the press to support it , I just forget now. 

Sorry Matt The tummy has got the WRONG profile 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Mattml430 said:

He’s a pretty clever bloke. He did really well to make that he’s got some great old machines. 
I wanna see Ron do the tummy bend with his windshield frame. Hahah. When we shaped yours Rich did we use timber in the press to support it , I just forget now. 

I think we tried the rollers first then tried the press with a few bits of wood - that’s what it needed but mine only needed a small adjustment so not sure if it would work from scratch.  It may well work out with lots of small presses - with a little heat to help.

 

the uprights would be the hard ones as they have quite a curve on the bottom - assuming they are the same as mine.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, RichBad said:

I think we tried the rollers first then tried the press with a few bits of wood - that’s what it needed but mine only needed a small adjustment so not sure if it would work from scratch.  It may well work out with lots of small presses - with a little heat to help.

 

the uprights would be the hard ones as they have quite a curve on the bottom - assuming they are the same as mine.

Yer I did my new one with the rollers but it’s brass and not hollow so a completely different ball game. 
It’s to hard to get and expensive to stuff it up. I think your idea of filling it with sand will definitely help Ron. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, RichBad said:

I think we tried the rollers first then tried the press with a few bits of wood - that’s what it needed but mine only needed a small adjustment so not sure if it would work from scratch.  It may well work out with lots of small presses - with a little heat to help.

 

the uprights would be the hard ones as they have quite a curve on the bottom - assuming they are the same as mine.

 Rich the profile is different or that beautiful 27 four on that I have would have been cut and extended for more width The curve on my up rights are not as severe as on your one I can see that I will be sealing one end and packing it with dry sand then sealing the other end before attempting the make any bends 

At present I am rust repairing doors from a 4CV Renault tis very hard welding tissue paper and while doing this I am pondering ideas on how to attack this frame 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Ron Lawson said:

 Rich the profile is different or that beautiful 27 four on that I have would have been cut and extended for more width The curve on my up rights are not as severe as on your one I can see that I will be sealing one end and packing it with dry sand then sealing the other end before attempting the make any bends 

At present I am rust repairing doors from a 4CV Renault tis very hard welding tissue paper and while doing this I am pondering ideas on how to attack this frame 

Hmm, I think I may have a couple of uprights - I repaired mine by using the best parts from 2 frames but I think the donor one was from a 6.  Will have a dig around - hope I didn’t cut it up for repair strips.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, RichBad said:

Hmm, I think I may have a couple of uprights - I repaired mine by using the best parts from 2 frames but I think the donor one was from a 6.  Will have a dig around - hope I didn’t cut it up for repair strips.

These are the bits I had leftover, the uprights were from a 6 but unfortunately I’d cut one in the middle and a small ~1” piece from the top of both.  Could be repaired/reused if you have no luck with the forming.

4687E17C-A180-4D40-B993-2CD78E4181DA.jpeg.9ea41826932f8ddcc9247d61813ffad1.jpeg
CF01D695-881E-4A0F-8357-2EB04AB9F8F9.jpeg.6a350c02bc516bfbeb32af6d3d1dbcf3.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, RichBad said:

These are the bits I had leftover, the uprights were from a 6 but unfortunately I’d cut one in the middle and a small ~1” piece from the top of both.  Could be repaired/reused if you have no luck with the forming.

4687E17C-A180-4D40-B993-2CD78E4181DA.jpeg.9ea41826932f8ddcc9247d61813ffad1.jpeg
CF01D695-881E-4A0F-8357-2EB04AB9F8F9.jpeg.6a350c02bc516bfbeb32af6d3d1dbcf3.jpeg

Don't chuck them out cobber just in case I make a stuff up

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Ron sent some pics of the vintage car and machinery show he went to this weekend in WA. Just so we know there is a light at the end of the tunnel even for us poor buggers in Victoria. 
we can hope one day we get to do this again soon. He took the senior as you can see it there. 
 

Ron. 

Had a fantastic day Had fourteen cars from our club participate One of our blokes won the best car with his 1911  Star We drove in the parade with the Senior and mum also had a drive We are staying the night and heading home tomorrow

7E706AC9-BCAD-4433-9C09-EA2611950A45.jpeg

3C7F5E03-AB44-438C-A4AA-32B2F43CFE59.jpeg

45DB26D4-28A3-4254-AB42-C8CCD818F9BA.jpeg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I spoke to him as well Matt! He was pretty pumped up about having the Senior out ! It still has a few things to do to finish it but it bloody close to beening finished.  It a real credit to him. It looks fantastic.  I saw it when I was over that way, plus he has sent me photos of his progress. He has also promised me a drive when I drop in again, but I don't think it will be happening soon. I think Dan's is enjoying all that power! 

Keep up the good work Ron !  Also I can't wait to see your Roadster finished and on the the road as well Matt!  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, aunty norm said:

I spoke to him as well Matt! He was pretty pumped up about having the Senior out ! It still has a few things to do to finish it but it bloody close to beening finished.  It a real credit to him. It looks fantastic.  I saw it when I was over that way, plus he has sent me photos of his progress. He has also promised me a drive when I drop in again, but I don't think it will be happening soon. I think Dan's is enjoying all that power! 

Keep up the good work Ron !  Also I can't wait to see your Roadster finished and on the the road as well Matt!  

Yes he’s definitely taken that old girl from the junk yard to a rose garden. It’s totally amazing how it’s looking now from what it was. We can only live in hope to get our cars back out on the road. Dan is loving his little power trip even though he has major memory loss. Haha He needs to be placed in a padded cell and left there. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, nearchoclatetown said:

Does this mean things are getting better down under or just in certain areas? Hershey would normally have been this week and we've had some of the best weather ever. Today would have been the normal show but it was relocated to Gettysburg and postponed until Nov. 7. I am so sick of this crap. 

We are still in stage 4 lock down in Victoria our Premier has gone completely balmy and has us all on a 5km lead from home. Where Ron is on the west side of Oz they have much less restrictions than us. Our restrictions are supposed to be eased on the 19th but by how much we don’t know. We just have to carry on and live with this bloody virus as bad as it is and just be responsible for ours and the people around us health and well-being. We can’t stay home for ever. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We were told in March we had to "flatten the curve" so the hospitals won't be overwhelmed. Well the damned curve is as flat as Twiggy. The TV says the hospitals are full and the people we know actually doing the work say NO way, very few cases. Many of our local businesses are closing for good. Many will not recover later. And they admit they are lying when they say the kid hit on a motorcycle or the old guy with cancer tested positive therefore they died of covid. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cobber I feel sorry for all car people over your way On our way home on Sunday we passed possibly a hundred club cars traveling in the oppersite direction and loads of Motor cycles Our thoughts are with you all and that some day in the not to distant future you will be able to enjoy your cars 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Hey Ron, I’m trying to figure out the small pieces of bodywork that go in the door gaps at the bottom.

 

i know they are a “u” profile around the main body frame rail and the top edge has a swage running the length but wanted to check if they are straight or follow the slight curvature of the body!

 

Also, does the “U” profile just fit around the main rail or does the lower edge drop below the rail (not sure if that makes sense).  Mine are clearly wrong but I’m trying to figure out what they should be. Ta!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, RichBad said:

Hey Ron, I’m trying to figure out the small pieces of bodywork that go in the door gaps at the bottom.

 

i know they are a “u” profile around the main body frame rail and the top edge has a swage running the length but wanted to check if they are straight or follow the slight curvature of the body!

 

Also, does the “U” profile just fit around the main rail or does the lower edge drop below the rail (not sure if that makes sense).  Mine are clearly wrong but I’m trying to figure out what they should be. Ta!

Hi Rich As you can see the doors on my car fit flush with the body Not sure if yours are the same I will post a photo tomorrow and the do have a curve to follow the body line I used my shrinking machine to do that Was a bugger because of the stepped fold at the top 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Ron Lawson said:

Hi Rich As you can see the doors on my car fit flush with the body Not sure if yours are the same I will post a photo tomorrow and the do have a curve to follow the body line I used my shrinking machine to do that Was a bugger because of the stepped fold at the top 

Perfect, thanks Ron (and Matt) they look similar to what I should have.  Do you have any end on photos showing the profile (cross section)?  Even a rough sketch?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Mattml430 said:

Beautiful job Ron looks great. Now you have to get the other one the same. 

Matt this is one of the jobs that had me in a jam I tried casting them in Devcon 2 pack rubber but they turned out terrible and miles to hard I have since found that the kit that I was advised to use by Devcon was the wrong one. $118 down the gurgler This way has been fairly easy especially doing the rebating with the Dremil The curves are the easiest using a contour gauge and then transferring it onto the rubber. I have lots of mess to clean up when I finish Rubber dust is every where

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Matt they are not for my car I am sending them over to Terry for his Senior I have ragged him for about 5 years for not having the correct ones and to also fit the nickel flexi conduit Only way to hurry things along is to make the allusive parts Very fiddly work for my arthritic paws but we still manage He is lucky that he is a great mate That's the name of the game though helping each other where possible 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...