Ron’s 1928 DB Senior Phaeton

Mattml430

2 hours ago, nearchoclatetown said:

Thanks Matt, they are different then DA and Victory. As usual  DB could not make two cars alike. The DA and Victory does not have the recessed area. 

Your welcome Doug, Ron sent them to me today to post for him. 
If you have the victory ones I’ll get the left and right ones of you. 
Can you do PayPal?  

Edited by Mattml430 (see edit history)

20 hours ago, nearchoclatetown said:

Matt, I am sorry I do not take PayPal. A personal check would work. It has to be drawn on a US owned bank to clear though.

That’s a shame  Doug have you thought about getting PayPal it’s pretty good for overseas transaction. 
I occasionally get stuff sent to a friend in LA and just fix him up through PayPal. 

• 2 weeks later...

Making of the bonnet (hood) sills. 

The green piece is my template The tape line is the bend line Once cut out and bent the part was clamped to the former and the rest was formed using a wooden mallet The round p bit was used to get the shape for the bar near the front of the frame The other two bits were used as guides for the curve at the front. 

The best of the two rusty relics that I had to go by

47CCD3C1-CD35-4D1E-A196-99504E43AFCB.jpeg

C6DB262D-03D8-433A-9250-1B81250A6D4D.jpeg

5DBF4E5A-7ED8-4387-8FB3-B3CBDA60AEE3.jpeg

A6AAA7C1-2560-4C95-94FD-2F191293CE9B.jpeg

DE87F266-823D-41D4-9909-12F36E49E5EF.jpeg

92170056-9D02-459E-A962-6B631316D49C.jpeg

1E9B6BB0-53BA-42E6-BB15-714324D3BCFA.jpeg

6B3BEF62-97D7-4C12-A104-62494A0A4631.jpeg

09DF5EE0-D3C3-41E5-89A5-44FB75D21C7C.jpeg

1EF0F5B7-3E6D-4CDB-93E8-26267B2D7A59.jpeg

0BD38F81-EE40-4857-93B5-EBAA290EA225.jpeg

Test fitting the rear bumper after straightening and grinding ready for the chrome plater. 

Both front and rear bumper mounts all painted after straightening the fronts were a mess. 

The original bumper was very badly pitted from rust so I machined up two new bars in the milling machine then had the spring works put the eyes in each end and shape them Then off to the chrome man. 

Rear bumper on. Nice and shiny

D4E62E03-8A95-497E-8B2B-D1F7DB505A7D.jpeg

9B0AE927-300C-4E0F-97DF-6ABA466B87B7.jpeg

C2FE5872-5E70-4F2F-9F99-0093CC3914E5.jpeg

3E2749DF-9233-4768-83E9-04AF689C8F0B.jpeg

0CCE4FBA-9931-476D-A865-1406B41F1F1D.jpeg

You’ve done an amazing job Ron. You’ve really had some challenges making some of that stuff. Those bonnet sill would not be easy to make , I looked at making some new ones for mine but decided to repair the ones I had. They are tricky. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Amazing... Incredible job !

Love the wheel rack idea, surprised I haven't seen that used before. 
The photos are going to help a lot of people. 

Thank you for sharing

I asked Ron yesterday if he had a patent on that wheel rack because I want to copy it for when I have to paint the wooden spoke wheels I make. It’s a great idea. 

• Like 1

Ron, this is going to be stunning.

The amount of work you've done on this is amazing and puts me to shame.....I wish I had your talents

Petrol tank in a cement mixer.............thought I've seen everything !

A friend of mine had to heat up his block so he shoved it in a pizza oven.....who would have thought ?

Matt, thanks for helping Ron with the photos.....really puts what he's doing into perspective !

Cheers guys !

• Like 2

Thank you all for your kind comments I am just an ordinary bloke that is trying to bring this beautiful and rare old car back to life When I say rare there was only 250 of these cars that were bodied by Holden Bodybuilding Co in Adelaide South Australia I know of 8 and 1 of them is in England As I have stated before without the help and advice and encouragement that I have received from so many on these forums the old girl would probably still be a heap of rusty panels When I see the achievements that Ian Greenlaw and The restoration of Daphne the Dodge, like you guys have done fantastic jobs and that's what gives us all encouragement to push on when we can't find that special part Well we have to improvise so we make it or have it made   Being part of this BIG Dodge Brothers Family is very special 

• Like 4

Ron  its starting to look to much like a car now , you know you will have start driving it soon and you know you will never stop doing so and wonder why you didnt do this years ago ,ha ha . Its only been ne on 40 years for me and i cant ever stop , they are just so practical for every day use , good work mate . Bob

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, gundog99 said:

I can see two items that are missing from my  car, the "Senior" on the radiator and the crank hole cover. Are they originals or reproductions?

They are both originals Anthony The "Senior " was on the car when I got it and the crank hole cover came from Dick Perry I did reproduce the word Senior for my old mate Terry Carol Aka "Aunty Norm" for his Senior sedan I don't think that I could do another one as the arthritis in my hands is getting worse There was a lot of work in making it using small Jewelers files to get the shapes of the letters 

Great to see all the photos Ron - looks awesome.  Did the body move around much when off the chassis for painting?  I’m wondering if I set all the door strikers and catches before paint will they all need adjusting once the body comes off and back on after painting?

2 hours ago, RichBad said:

Great to see all the photos Ron - looks awesome.  Did the body move around much when off the chassis for painting?  I’m wondering if I set all the door strikers and catches before paint will they all need adjusting once the body comes off and back on after painting?

2 hours ago, RichBad said:

Rich, If you set every thing up with your body on the chassis then remove it for painting I can't see any major problems as it will be going back with the same spacers etc 

• Thanks 1

On 9/14/2020 at 7:37 PM, Mattml430 said:

The tubing to make the windshield frame Have yet e tackle this job Any tips on how to bend it without creasing I am thinking of packing it with dry sand then heating to bend

A4A04953-32A3-49D2-884B-E84CC52DB00D.jpeg

BDEFE861-7177-4374-80EA-E7555C466F7C.jpeg

C232868D-94A5-4C3E-BC80-C80F1B33959D.jpeg

Hi Ron,

Not sure if you’ve seen Rob Teal’s work on facebook - he’s made a complete screen frame from scratch - not sure if there are any useful tips there?  Also some of it is on you tube - 

• Like 1