1963 f-85 cutlass

Hey guys I’m selling a 1963 Oldsmobile cutlass f-85 with the numbers matching 215 and slim Jim. It’s all apart at the moment but the engine has been completely gone thur and ready to be put back together. I bought it hoping to make it a really nice weekend cruiser but then life happened and need it sold. It’s in okay shape, the front needs to be replaced and trunk lid due to someone trying to break in. All the parts are there. Please let me know why you think. I have 5k in the car right now with engine work. It is in Tehachapi,

3FA9B0FB-0667-4734-93FC-4C9B1FD8905F.jpeg

Welcome to the site. Since you asked us to let you know what we think my opinion is you need to remove one zero off your price. For $5k you can buy a car that runs and drives and doesn't need everything including the engine to be reassembled. This '61 Studebaker is for sale now on this site for $5k and it runs and drives. Good luck....

Edited by Lebowski (see edit history)
  • Like 2

The unfortunate part of project cars is it's very easy to get alot invested before it starts looking like you did.  Engine work though now a days expensive and other mechanical work seem to be the worst return on investment when selling.  That's speaking from experience as every old car for sale,  seems the buyer expects to be in great mechanical shape.  This changes as a buyer when you buy your first car that unknowingly needs an engine rebuild.  Then you no longer take that for granted. 

More than a car at this point you are selling a dream.  The key is to find a dreamer like you were when you bought it.  Hopefully they are still around as lately seems to be less dreamers with the means to buy a project especially one closer to the beginning of the restoration curve than the end.

You might want to post a state as well as most people may have never heard of that town.  I ship alot around the country and never have. 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thanks guys. 5k is what I have in the car. Just wanted to see how much you guys were thinking, 500 is way to little. I know you can get some cars for 5k but I have seen lot worse piles for more here in California. I know 5k is to much just need some of that back. It’s been a tough year, mom passed away, got in a tbone car accident rolled three times and broke my collarbone so out of work for months. Tehachapi is in California in the middle of Bakersfield and Lancaster.

Many condolences for you loss and hardships, Brookiesandrew. I've grown to really like these '63 F-85's. The '63 Dynamic 88 I had required a shop manual, and the gigantic one I purchased included all the data and text on the F-85, too (as you probably already know.) I spent a bit of time looking at the F-85 section in the manual, and I think that's how I grew to like them.

Your car looks pretty solid and straight, but as others said, an involved project, which seems to be getting less popular with "old" old car guys. I don't know if you also have it listed on the Oldsmobile forum at this AACA site, but it might get you connected with a potential buyer. A lot less traffic on the brand specific forums, but more focused interest. Good luck.

4 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

The unfortunate part of project cars is it's very easy to get alot invested before it starts looking like you did.

It's eerie how true that is. Have you been spying on me? Because that's exactly what happened with the Thunderbird I'm dealing with now! 😄

Yea I know it’s kind of a long shot but with everything going I figure I just try ha. Yea I actually really love this car and would love to see it running and get to drive it. I love the 215 in it and that’s why I spent the money I did on the engine. I’ve always loved the rare and unusual cars.