1965 Buick Skylark GS Grille repair

Must agree, it is beyond repair. Even if it could be welded, then the finish around those areas most likely would be damaged. Plating of that piece is expensive to say the least.

It's not unusual to see them cracked on the center rib. If you are in need of one, they are available. 

Loren

I have had luck gluing things like this together. I use an acrylic cement and reinforce the piece by including a solid backer of some sort in the repair.  However I don't expect the repair to survive efforts to re-chrome it. 

Clear acrylic adhesive is available at the hardware store and a thin flat piece of metal can be used across the breaks.  It may still be visible upon close inspection but it could salvage a mostly complete part till something better comes along

• Thanks 1
On 8/24/2020 at 7:33 AM, Loren@65GS.com said:

Must agree, it is beyond repair. Even if it could be welded, then the finish around those areas most likely would be damaged. Plating of that piece is expensive to say the least.

It's not unusual to see them cracked on the center rib. If you are in need of one, they are available. 

Loren

Hey Loren

If 64&65 are same original person can pm me about an NOS, not inexpensive grille. Thanx ahead for guidance!

21 hours ago, ol' yeller said:

‘64 grilles are different from ‘65 and not interchangable

Between '64 and '65 , the only parts that interchange for front sheet metal are the inner fenders and hood. Don't ask me how I know. lol

Loren

Here's a repair that was done.

20200828_172846.jpg

This headlight door is broken as shown below.  In this case the area behind the chrome edge was cleaned, then a bead of the acryllic cement applied and while the cement was still wet a piece of wire was embedded to bridge the crack. 

20200828_172857.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/28/2020 at 8:11 AM, Loren@65GS.com said:

Between '64 and '65 , the only parts that interchange for front sheet metal are the inner fenders and hood. Don't ask me how I know. lol

Loren

Are these grilles part numbered in raised cast numbers or some other method. Since I dont know how to ID I may have a '65 grille, which wont work in my '64. Thanx for feedback!

I have never looked for a part number cast into one. I will have to take a look at one of the three extra ones around here.  Physically  they are totally different on the bottom ends.  The '64 comes up at the bottom end to meet the headlight door and the '65 drops down to meet the headlight door. 

Loren