1931 Chrysler cm coupe body colours

OpenReach

Kevin,

There are a couple of tags, hopefully on your firewall and door pillar, with numbers on them,

that someone in the Chrysler forum can look up to provide you with the proper color (colour).

Repost your request there, and I think you will get a faster response.

Mike in Colorado

Does the never painted black only apply to Chrysler CM cars?  My 1932 Dodge Brothers was definitely painted all black, with the color chalked on inside the body.  The build tag I got from Chrysler Historical also identifies the factory body color as black.

• Like 1

Here is my advice:  Something darker and rich - you can never go wrong with Maroons, Blues, or Black.  

Stay away from circus wagon tu-tone colors with HUGE contrast. 

I often preach in contradiction to my rules as to historically significant cars that have been known to be certain colors when new and/or have been certain colors for eons and are well know for those colors (Yes, a Green Duesenberg that was Green new or has been Green for past 70 years is OK - may not get you top dollar, but is probably important to leave Green and OK).  

Here is from my Pre-WWII  automobile sales experience as to what you "take a hit on" in sale and the savvy buyer even if they love the color they will still tell you they hate it or they are aware of the problem and expect a hit when they go to sell:

No White on a car Pre WWII

It is not easy being Green = EVER

No Tan/Brown with Orange wheels (I have been going with Maroon wheels on things as often too expensive to repaint)

Greys are pretty, but a lot of people object and they cars usually do not win awards

Stay around Brown has issues

Old Man Gold has issues

Resale Red has certain applications it is fine on and others NOT SO FINE ON

This may help:

https://www.autocolorlibrary.com/pages/1931-Chrysler.html

1931-chrysler-pg01.jpg?6320

1931-chrysler-pg02.jpg?6320

1931-chrysler-pg03.jpg?6320

1932-chrysler-pg02.jpg?6320

1932-chrysler-pg03.jpg?6320

Here is a link to colors:

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?manuf=Chrysler&year=1931

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Beautiful Chrysler, should be fun to drive.  Restores take a lot of liberties with color.  If you find the original color offerings, the coupes were generally low key, the coupes were for business men.   I did a lot of color research for the 1931 Graham cars, the only wheel color available on every model was black, seldom seen now days, it looks great on this coupe.

1931 Chrysler 6 Coupe | Classic cars vintage, Antique cars, Chrysler

• Like 4

Go to  paintref.com  look up Chrysler your year and click on the color tab and it will bring up the colors for that year.

Sorry but no tags on your car that has paint info. The color could be written inside just right of the rear window behind the upholstery.

Your car could have been ordered black but there are a few very dark colors.

11 minutes ago, 28 Chrysler said:

Go to  paintref.com  look up Chrysler your year and click on the color tab and it will bring up the colors for that year.

Sorry but no tags on your car that has paint info. The color could be written inside just right of the rear window behind the upholstery.

Your car could have been ordered black but there are a few very dark colors.

Yes....look for this sort of designation. Passenger side roof quarter. Mine means I have a Marquette Blue Model DH6 business coupe.

Picture 28460.jpg

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

Yes....look for this sort of designation. Passenger side roof quarter. Mine means I have a Marquette Blue Model DH6 business coupe.

Picture 28460.jpg

You are probably on this page with Blue Body, Black Moldings, and Ivory wheels

1931-chrysler-pg01.jpg?6320

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?ditzler=IM103&rows=50&syear=1930&smanuf=Chrysler&smodel=Plymouth&sname=Marquette Blue

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

Also, keep in mind, paint chips sprayed on paper change color and when you find the right color there is a 99% the old formula will not be a match as the base tint colors change over time (ie like there are countless shades of white and a countless shades of black).  The best thing to do is find a chip you want to match. 

If you can fins a chip close to a Model A Ford color you may be able get modern formulas, but other than that tends to be a matching game out of chip books/samples. 

2 hours ago, 28 Chrysler said:

I had  30 Dodge coupe that was Arabian Mocha Brown, a muddy grayish tan a little heavy on the ish color ( IM 1057 above , I would not recommend it )

Tend to look nice with a blue or maroon next to it, but not so much black and gets to be a lot of brown when accompanied by another brown shade (you see Model A Fords in such - some look great, but some not so much). 

Thanks John , for going to the effort of posting  this useful information on this forum.

I know it will help others with their colour choices .

I am driving my wife mad at the moment deciding on colours for my 66 Tourer. it will definitely help me out.

Once again thank you.

Hi All again... I'd just like to say a big word of thanks to all who have replied to my post. There is a tremendous amount of tasty info to savour. If those lists of colours and formulae were for ice cream I'd be obese(er.)

Ive looked at the firewall and the rhs door pillar and can't see any numbers stamped in. Various parts I've paint stripped have revealed a very dark blue or black lacquer colour.

I've attached a couple of pics of the firewall and the wheels which I've already painted.

Regards Kevin

20200825_161259.jpg

20200825_161608.jpg

I see numbers on the serial number plate on the right door jamb. The engine number will be stamped on the outside of the frame near the rear spring shackle. It will look something like this....you gotta look CLOSE.

Picture 28543.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)