1937 Plymouth

TimMuldoon

i ended up buying the 37 Plymouth . its actually pretty clean. As you can see the car is maroon or faded red. The interior door panels are Maroon and the seat is beige which I think is pretty neat for the time. It needs some items like a distributor and firewall items. guess I would need a picture or the manual for the car. the main issue is the running boards are toast and the front part of the floor pan needs replaced mostly were the gas and foot pedals are. I will probably switch it over to 12 volt. The frame is in great shape and I will probably power wash then POR 15 it. 

This car has vent windows which i think is strange. it also has 2 wind shield wipers which i think was a add on or part of a upgrade package ??? The front wind shield I thought was able to open but this does not.  There is the fresh air door on the cowl. I think the seat is another option that was an upgrade. any comments or thoughts would be appreciated. Absolutely thrilled I picked this up.  its my older brother in the picture not me. 

1937 Plymouth 2.jpg

• Like 1

Is this car stock or has it been hot rodded? If it's stock there is no reason to switch over to 12 v electrical. Some body parts are available through the a few early MOPAR parts dealer but are mostly hand made and good fit is a tossup. Mechanical parts are fairly easy to find.The vent windows were new for '37 and the dual wipers were probably an accessory. Not sure what you mean about the front seat.You should be able to find a good many original replacement parts on the internet and through forums like this one. If you can find a parts interchange book, it will help in determining what parts from other marques, say Dodge and Desoto, might fit your car as to broaden the search. Don't be afraid to seek help, there are many knowledgeable guys on this forum, however, if the car is modified , say with modern running gear and engine, some of the hotrod forums may be of more assistance. Have fun with your 'new' car!

• Like 1

The car is completely Stock. The original owner couldn't bring himself to hot rod it and neither will I . Basically I need a book showing where everything goes fire wall ,dash and wiring which is not my best suit. I have all the body parts except running boards which I can fab if I can find a brake. Thanks for your reply.  

• Like 1

Do you have a pic of the front grill. The car may be a '38. The '38 front window did not open. The grill is vertical on a '38. The '37 has a slight forward angle on it.

Of what I can see of the grill in the photo, it looks more like a 38. A better pic will clarify.

I seem to recall 2 window wipers was an option, so was 2 brake lights I believe. Vent windows, do you mean the pop open triangular windows in the door? These are normal for these cars.

I have a 1938. 6V original system. I have no need to upgrade it to 12V. I ran it 120 miles today on the hiways.  Great old cars...

• Like 1

The Master Maintenance manuals show the wiring diagrams but not where they pass through the firewall. you'll probably have to find some photos of a car to see those kind of things. Most manuals only show some diagrams of the mechanicals and overall pictures of the body. Best to look at some good restored or original cars for better details. I'm sure, once you've determined the year , that there are many owners who would gladly send you photos. When restoring a car like this, I think it's always a good idea to spend some money and find a good parts car, not only for parts but for comparison. I had to by 2 extra cars to supply parts for my '36 Dodge, and all 3 cars, built at different times through the year, had minor differences in parts and construction. You should be able to find runningboards fairly easily, there might be new ones available with the mats moulded to the steel. A good deal now as there is no one that I know of reproducing runningboard mats in the U.S.at this time. Don't be afraid to ask questions, that's what this forum is about!

• Like 1

The car was appraised to be a 37. Worth $6500. Money was not the issue as I know I will have more into it then probably what its worth. I don't care honestly. I do but I don't if that makes sense to anybody. I have the VIN and another tag on the car. Don't know if those will tell you the year. The guy selling it at first said it was a 1938 so after Keith's post I am inclined to think it is a 1938. As far as extra cars it could be a good idea. Honestly i am all about new parts. the body will be ok as is except for front floor section and Rockers. Frame has been coated with something black. Could be POR 15 except it looks like who ever did it added saw dust to the paint.  I am lucky in the fact my wife does upholstery work and is exceptional. I will take some more detailed pictures and post. spent most of the time since Friday Gawking at it, figuring out it is missing a lot and will work on my wallet some. 71 Grand Prix with 72 Cutlass Supreme 455 and 1968 Century 19' Resorter 440. 

Thanks

Dougs car at Wilson Barn show 2011 011.jpg

68 R 19 FGL-4.jpg

It might be tough to find,  but a 37 if it turns out to definitely be a 37, Parts manual will have alot of exploded views of parts that may help.  Careful on reprints as the quality of the pictures suck on some of them. An original is the way to go.  I know they made a 39 and back manual which concentrates the pictures on later model cars.  The 37 may have older parts as well, but will have the best illustrations of 37 parts.  The later you get the less pictures of your car they will have.  Some companies also offered collision books that might show mainly sheetmetal,  window risers and stuff like that.  all helpful if stuff is not in the right places.  Again you will probably want something printed prewar.  Of course google images is your friend as well. 

I was very fortunate to find an original 1938 Mopar parts book. I have used it for illustrations. Also to verify part numbers and score good deals on NOS parts on ebay. Sellers don’t always know what the part fits. They just have a part number sometimes. When you can find those listings you usually find good deals in my experience. 

A Motors Manual from the period is also a good book to own. I located one from 1940 or so. It has plenty of good info on my ‘38. 

Here’s my ‘38 grill for comparison. 

866005A2-EF06-4E02-8D40-762A31F760D4.jpeg

Edited by keithb7 (see edit history)

Have a good floor pan, few minor rust points in driver rear. Or is your problem the removable kick plate that the gas pedal attaches to?

this came from a 37, should be the same as a 38. Have a trunk lid for 38 coupe and front bumper.

DSC05297.JPG