Removing wood spoke wheels

29 Chandler

I have found the one very stubborn wheel on my 1929 Chandler. It is the rear wood spoked wheel, mounted on a keyed, taper axle. I have searched and read all previous posts and have done the following:

rented a Snap-On drum puller

applied heat to the hub (about 400F, near the key slot)

kept ice on the axle so it stayed under 200F

banged the heck out the main shaft of the puller

Still no luck. I think this wheel has been on the car at least 40 years now. Driving the car is out of the question at this point. I'm afraid to use more heat as the spokes were getting abouve 300F. I have a non-contact thermometer that worked great for this job.

What should I do next???

Here is a picture of what I hope the wheel will look like when/if I get it off.

Click on the "Attachment" above to see the picture.

There are pullers made just for wood spoke wheels. They thread on where the hubcap goes and have a bolt that presses against the axle. You tighten the bolt against the axle and give the bolt a whack with a large shop hammer. Check around with other club members, these are fairly common. Or have a machine shop make you one up. Don't forget to take the axle nut off the axle before you try it.

If you haven't had success yet locating the puller, I see you live in Monrovia, CA, that is Bill Cannon's hometown the Studebaker club founder. I hate to suggest borrowing someone elses tools but the 2-3/8 hub size I believe is the same as 1925-27 Studebaker Big 6. Cannon just may have such a tool, he wrote many treatises on Studebaker service over the years. His address is on May Ave. He would be a fine gentleman to visit even if he can't help with the tool. Stude8

Thanks!!! Sometimes the answer is right under your nose. Bill lives a block away. You are right he is very nice. And puts out an incrediable magazine! I'll get in touch with Bill and then walk over to his garage.

I didn't know that Studebaker and Chandler had some many things in common.

Happy Holidays,