CADILLAC 1926 TOURING TOP PADS

JC Boutin

O.k. 

There is an artical from 1960 in Antique Automobile ,by E.W. Stitt on how to make your own top..about 9 pages.It was reproduced in "Model T Ford Restoration Handbook in 1965 and is still in print.It is the RED book with a '09 red touring on the cover.And can be found for as little as 20.bucks plus shipping.

A very usefull artical.

I can copy the artical I have and mail it to you.

0826201222.jpg

0826201222b.jpg

You don’t want to overpaid, but putting a thin pad of foam (as in newer cars) doesn’t work either.

When you install pads, the important part is to put webbing inside the pad to provide strong support for padding.  Then, a layer of cotton batting ( not the thin quilt batting, the one inch cotton) over that.

I can provide detailed instructions on how I believe the correct way to make a pad goes, as taught to me by an old time expert.

31 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

Not right at this moment though, I get "report" and "share" as only options.

It worked before the site went down for a short while so I guess version 3 missed some of the updates of version 2. Give them time it will get fixed. These guys/gals are pretty good at what they do.

They just want to mess with Trimacar a little. 

I just edited this post so it’s back. 

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)

My opinion and experience .

Convertable tops even  when resorted  right will only look tight and smart and new untill the first few times you start letting it down..

It should left up 98% of the time.

Do not let it down for extended periods.Try only lowering and raising it when its warm out..

The best materials have odd memories from when relaxed  and seem to shrink when not under constant stress.

On big touring tops it very important to take the time to do a good job of folding the layers between the irons when letting it down. Hard wrinkles and wear spots show up pretty fast and easy..

I almost never let the tops down on previous roadster and tourings.

And never longer then one day to over night..Leave the top down for weeks to all summer you will regret it putting it up in the fall.

Warm summer evenings with friends  is when I personal like the top down.. Ocassionally a nice first warm spring day /morning or a fall scenic ride..

The top on my Malibu is getting a little long in the tooth but it is over 30 years old now.

But I used to put the top up and down almost every day when it was my daily driver.

And I know there is no way it was installed by someone with as much knowledge and skill as David Coco has.

Tops on larger cars like a touring could be a challenge if you wanted the top to look perfect all of the time.

But if I own a convertible of any kind it's getting used like one.

For the casual reader of this page:  I think that the opinions about not putting tops down are pretty consistent of those here with Canvas Haartz/Stayfast tops  and especially with AACA/CCCA high point late 1920's and 1930's Convertibles (also quite understandable give a high point top running + or - 10K in hours labor and given that one error putting one up or down can create a hole/flaw in the blink of an eye (aka quite understandable as people are only going to upholster it once), but personally, I put them down at the upholsters, rarely put up except for highway driving and winter, and understand it will never be the same via use and I am basically destroying it (but then just a car and it is for my own enjoyment).  That said, a well done restoration includes a top that works, and that includes folding nicely. 

• Like 1

John:

I am in agreement with your philosophy. Of course I bought my cars as drivers for enjoyment. Only needed to get things straightened out to period correct. Mostly for the next person who will drive it down the road.

My 1925 Standard touring has worn and torn 1960s convertible top material fitted to cut down and re-welded top sockets. The previous owner would put the top down without unsnapping the Gypsy sides.  Also no form of top rests. Instead of the correct snaps the person who installed the top installed "Lift The Dot" pins to the sides. The light interior padding and lining is well stained. 1715566154_DSCF1317-Copy.thumb.JPG.efd50cc654a76a86c2efdba970efa712.JPG

So, I had a fitted top boot made to cover the nasty looking folded top.

DSCF7574.thumb.JPG.b4cf1e371682e5102280790b24d6f402.JPG

Looks much better with the top down, covered with the boot and my wife driving.

Since I have had the car on the road my practice has been to put the top down in May and put it back up in October.

My 1925 Master had a good Haartz/Stayfast cloth top done in 1980 on the correct original bows and sockets.

It is still in serviceable condition.

DSCF5667.thumb.JPG.6d17f6be841097ec750a7244013edac2.JPG

DSCF5687.thumb.JPG.9628d8f6e1366e69cc42bdca046657d2.JPG

The same boot made for the Standard fits this top better.