I can finally reveal my 1969 Riviera

chuckfmtexas

I can finally reveal my 1969 Riviera I bought in late May. The car has been completely restored inside and out and all mechanical running gear including new springs, front and back. The car also had steel wheels and hubcaps.
What was immediately noticeable was the car was sitting too high, see the first photo shown below. It was 2.5 inches high in the front and 2.5 in the rear.
The end result to get the car back to original factory height was to remove the 2.5 inch spacers someone had put in the rear springs and order front springs that were 1.5 inches lower than stock springs. We installed a new set of stock front springs when we installed the rears but the car still sat 1.5 inches too high in the front. By installing the 1.5 inch below stock spring height in front today the car is now at factory level.
Also installed the four rallye wheels I bought and had re-chromed and powder coated. With new Firestone 78 R 15 whitewalls the car now looks original.
Looking forward to driving and showing the car.

Chuck

DSC_8484 - Copy.JPG

IMG_6926 - Copy - Copy.JPG

IMG_6929 - Copy - Copy.JPG

IMG_6930 - Copy - Copy.JPG

IMG_6935 - Copy - Copy.JPG

IMG_6941 - Copy - Copy.JPG

Edited by chuckfmtexas (see edit history)
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I can't see the pics in this thread but saw them in the duplicate. Looks great Chuck. BIG transformation with the height correction and wheels. So common to see these cars sitting too high because of improper aftermarket springs. Thats why I always suggest people to check their curb height to the shop manual spec before replacing original springs especially on a GS.  My 66 was still right on spec with original springs. Many folks just assume they have to be sagging and replace them rather than basing the decision on fact.