Studebaker President Eight

Nicolas Macan

Nick, your question is NOT clear......please restate what you are asking. Pistons are available for about 1500 us per set with rings and pins. That would include modern ring packages. Babbitt our mains and rods, valves,  timing chain and oil pump, valves guides........lots going on in that engine........they are also known for cracking.....so you need to check it, and stitch it if you find any issues......do NOT weld on that block, head, or manifold.

• Like 1

According to the Fred Fox article in Turning Wheels (Mar. 2009), the standard compression ratio was 5.0:1 using 3.5" bore and 4.375" stroke.  Optional heads were 5.5:1 (painted orange) and 6.5:1 (painted light blue).  I'm guessing that export engines got the 5.0:1 head.  If you put a pressure gauge in the spark plug hole, you might get 400-500 kPa for peak pressure, not more and probably less.

Hello Nicolas ! If you are looking to increase your compression ratio by searching for another cylinder head, forget the orange 5.5:1, and see of you can find the light blue 6.5:1. That would make a difference. It has been more than 20 years since I have been in Chile, but I remember the wonderful low octane gasoline available for use at very high altitude. I believe the octane is in the 70s. That is the gasoline to use in all low compression engines, (7.5:1 and lower), for ALL altitudes including sea level.     Suerte,   -    Carl 

Nicholas, finding ANY head for an FE/FH/80/90 engine is difficult, though not impossible.  The factory was not selling competition equipment in 1930.  Perhaps a few Presidents had the high compression head.  I think the part number for the 6.5:1 head is 159167.  The same head gasket, p/n 157407, was used for FE, FH, 80, 90, and 91 cars, so the heads should interchange.  Good luck finding a head.

8 hours ago, C Carl said:

Hello Nicolas ! If you are looking to increase your compression ratio by searching for another cylinder head, forget the orange 5.5:1, and see of you can find the light blue 6.5:1. That would make a difference. It has been more than 20 years since I have been in Chile, but I remember the wonderful low octane gasoline available for use at very high altitude. I believe the octane is in the 70s. That is the gasoline to use in all low compression engines, (7.5:1 and lower), for ALL altitudes including sea level.     Suerte,   -    Carl 

Dear carl 

thanks for your recommendation!  my Studebaker Grand Prix will be built for long endurance rallies and not for speed.  This car will be for the routes of Chile as they are in Patagonia or in the driest desert in the world!  I hope you can visit my country again! Regards 

8 hours ago, Gary_Ash said:

Nicholas, finding ANY head for an FE/FH/80/90 engine is difficult, though not impossible.  The factory was not selling competition equipment in 1930.  Perhaps a few Presidents had the high compression head.  I think the part number for the 6.5:1 head is 159167.  The same head gasket, p/n 157407, was used for FE, FH, 80, 90, and 91 cars, so the heads should interchange.  Good luck finding a head.

Gary, If the cylinder head goes to my destination, I will buy it!  I will continue to tell you about my project, thanks for your support!