Tilt Steering Wheel on '65 standard?

Parccent65

My '65 does not have a tilt steering wheel and everything I've read about the '65s says it was standard. I guess it's possible they could have paid to delete it? My car also has the standard trim  interior but has power vent windows. Was the tilt steering wheel first offered on the '63?

19 hours ago, RivNut said:

Yes, code S5 was the tilt wheel delete option. That code will not appear on your Fisher data plate. Kind of weird though. Standard interior, tilt delete, and power vents. Tilt wheel was an option in 63 and 64.

These cars are built funny sometimes. Saw a 65 for sale on some website yesterday that was a Gran Sport with almost all the options I could think of including Custom interior, power windows, etc. but NO power seat or A/C.

It was weird back in the day how a buyer could tailor a car how they wanted it to the smallest detail — unlike now, where so many cars are sold loaded or close and options are so often part of packages and that's the only way you can get them. Mine also has a factory rear defroster, air conditioning, power antenna and power seat.

4 hours ago, jframe said:

These cars are built funny sometimes. Saw a 65 for sale on some website yesterday that was a Gran Sport with almost all the options I could think of including Custom interior, power windows, etc. but NO power seat or A/C.

My Gran Sport has power windows, rear defroster, AM/FM , wood wheel, but no power seat. Makes you wonder just how quickly the salesman may have skimmed over the order blank.

When I was in the Army back in the late 60s, almost no one from Chicago, Detroit, New York, etc. had a/c. It just wasn't that hot all that long. My 68 Dodge Charger didn't have a/c and we lived quite a bit farther south.  I don't think that you can buy one without a/c now no matter where you live.  The a/c dryer makes the defroster work so much better than just hot air.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/20/2020 at 8:15 AM, RivNut said:

Yes, code S5 was the tilt wheel delete option. That code will not appear on your Fisher data plate. Kind of weird though. Standard interior, tilt delete, and power vents. Tilt wheel was an option in 63 and 64.

Hi Ed, what would the option code be for a ‘63 with tilt wheel? Mine has it but I can’t recall an option code relating to that.

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀

Hmmm. The steering is not part of the Fisher Body plant, it's downstream in final assembly. I found a code on one site but I've found errors on other parts of the site.  Back to your question. What I found says the code for the tilt wheel is L1. 

• Like 1

On 8/21/2020 at 9:41 PM, RivNut said:

Hmmm. The steering is not part of the Fisher Body plant, it's downstream in final assembly. I found a code on one site but I've found errors on other parts of the site.  Back to your question. What I found says the code for the tilt wheel is L1. 

L1 for both 1963 and 1964, I believe. Just to confuse things, L1 became the code for Soft-Ray tinted glass (all windows) in 1965 and for some years thereafter.

15 hours ago, Buffalowed Bill said:

Until about 1990 I don't think I had ever ridden in a car with AC. Even many luxury cars didn't come with them. Today in mild Seattle, I have to force myself to use the AC in my cars to keep them operable.

When we bought our 1995 Honda Civic, air conditioning for it was still a dealer-installed option—none came from the factory with AC. There's such a difference in the arrival years of standard air conditioning, depending on the market position of the car and other factors. Some not-so-random examples:

Lincoln Continental Mark III—1971

Cadillac Eldorado—1975

Buick Riviera—1978

Chevrolet Corvette—1980

Edited by J3Studio (see edit history)

1 hour ago, J3Studio said:

L1 for both 1963 and 1964, I believe. Just to confuse things, L1 became the code for Soft-Ray tinted glass (all windows) in 1965 and for some years thereafter.

On the Team Buick website, you can find a list of options for all full sized cars. I was really surprised that the L1 is missing.