1930's Buick straight 8 motor

BillyR

I was trying to get some info on this motor. Im told it is a straight 8 and I tried to look up the serial number on it to see what year and brand that made it but can not find anything that matches with the serial number. Attached are pics of the motor and serial number, at least I think its the serial number. If anybody could help me out or point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

straight 8.jpeg

straight 8 2.jpeg

A lot of '30s Buick experts here, but I am not one of them. General observations. Half cylinder water jackets likely mean mid '30s or earlier. Down draft carburetor indicates 1930 or later. That is NOT the serial number! It is a casting number that someone that KNOWS the blocks of that era and marque could probably identify an exact model series. It has "GM" which most likely is General Motors. Buick was the GM product those years that mostly used an over-head valve straight eight. Some Oldsmobiles and Pontiacs also had straight eights, but were mostly flat heads. I think some trucks may have used Buick ohv engines.

Those are casting numbers

The engine serial number is stamped on a machined surface near the distributor - spark plugs on the other side

Manifold is 1938 or earlier,  but manifolds get swapped

Valve cover has 3 studs so is 1938 earlier, but heads get swapped.

First guess is 1937 1938  248ci

https://www.teambuick.com/reference/ident_engine_til_52.php

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Newbie, welcome. You have a Buick inline eight(the small engine). I think its either a `36 233cu in or a `37(or`38) 248cu in. The numbers you show are a casting number. Engine number is located on the passenger side, if its the `36 engine, number is located at the front of the side lifter cover, if a `37 engine engine number is located above the oil dip stick. I just noticed the valve cover has 3 fasteners on top, `36 engine has 2.  So most likely a `37 or `38 engine. The `37 engine, like the `36, has flat top pistons, the `38 engine has domed pistons. If you`ll post the engine number someone could tell which year/series engine is from.

Guys I really appreciate all the feedback. I was a little apprehensive posting because I am not a car guy and didn’t wanna seem dumb. I went back and did find the serial number and it is 43353085. So the story goes, I bought and old house that needs to be torn down and this motor and a ton of car parts were in the house. I obviously don’t want to just take it to the scrap yard so I pulled it all out. There were 8 doors, grill, hoods, bumpers, white walled tires, and tons of window trim. I’ll attach pics of it. What would y’all suggest be the best way to sell them? I really don’t even know the value of any of this. 

C10F6386-F34E-4ED0-83E9-DA6151FDC17F.jpeg

Guys I really appreciate all the feedback. I was a little apprehensive posting because I am not a car guy and didn’t wanna seem dumb. I went back and did find the serial number and it is 43353085. So the story goes, I bought and old house that needs to be torn down and this motor and a ton of car parts were in the house. I obviously don’t want to just take it to the scrap yard so I pulled it all out. There were 8 doors, grill, hoods, bumpers, white walled tires, and tons of window trim. I’ll attach pics of it. What would y’all suggest be the best way to sell them? I really don’t even know the value of any of this. 

DDCB6D54-FF72-40BB-AF1C-82EB58518006.jpeg

I'm not your guy but do agree that there is some Buick guy here that would probably give you a few hundred for this stuff.

Also commend you for reaching out and not taking the easy route of the scrap yard.

A HUGE contributing factor would be location.

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)

6 hours ago, BillyR said:

I’m outside of Nashville, TN

6 hours ago, BillyR said:

1937 engines start at 3166225

1938 engines start at 3396937

4-=40 series Special 248 ci

4 3353085 = 1937

Keep the photos coming.  Those parts have value. 

Small bits of trim can have good value. Wheels & doors will sell. The doors look OK. Depends on how much rust

Looks like parts left over from a restoration, or maybe more than 1 restoration.  The engine is not in a car for a reason.  The cover is off the top of the transmission for a reason.  Good parts will have been put into the restored car

You could sell here.  But some work in taking individual photos, identifying, shipping and selling over time.   Selling the lot one person may the best.

Local Buick Club chapters here --> http://www.buickclub.org/regionschapters-divisions/

• Like 2

Are there more parts that are not shown in the photos? You mentioned a grille. I don't see a grille in the photos so far. If you are interested in sending me some good photos to show all of the parts I would be happy to advertise them for you in the Torque Tube II newsletter of the 36-38 Buick Club. Unfortunately, the September-October issue is already being printed, so it would be about November 1st before the next newsletter would get to the membership. 

• Like 1

Here are the rest of the photos I took the other day when I pulled the parts out. I can take better ones of each individual piece if someone would like. I am going to try and go over there and get a list of all the parts there to give a more accurate description. Do ya'll know if there is a shop that kind of specializes in restoring buicks that would be interested in buying everything? I am not really interested in trying to part it out. Dont really have the time nor the space for all these parts. 

image1 (2).jpeg

image0 (3).jpeg

image4.jpeg

image5.jpeg

image6.jpeg

image7.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image2.jpeg

1 hour ago, BillyR said:

Here are the rest of the photos I took the other day when I pulled the parts out. I can take better ones of each individual piece if someone would like. I am going to try and go over there and get a list of all the parts there to give a more accurate description. Do ya'll know if there is a shop that kind of specializes in restoring buicks that would be interested in buying everything? I am not really interested in trying to part it out. Dont really have the time nor the space for all these parts. 

image1 (2).jpeg

They are not a lot of value, so to many people not worth spend many $$ on gas or time to personally collect or to spend $$$ on crating & shipping.  Takes space to store and a long time to sell/use.

One person would be Pete Philips mentioned above. But he is near Dallas Texas

Contact the BCA chapter in TN linked above.

36-38 Club newsletter would be a good outlet, if you have a few months to wait

What is the length of the spark plug cover?  (firing order) Does it fit the engine

What is in the orange bucket? May have some good items. Size/weight does not equal value

For the doors, window surrounds etc a photo with a tape measure can help ID. But more work

The image above is from a 1939 Buick steering wheel: all series.  May have (white) spots of corrosion (= less value). The maroon plastic always warp, but repro's are available.

3 hours ago, bhemi said:

Wouldn't Dave Tacheny be interested in a bulk lot of parts? That's a trailer load for sure. I see some good front end parts. 

Not unless there are a lot more parts that are not shown in the photos. I have already discussed these parts with him and from the photos, they are not worth the cost of a trip for him to pick them up. Somebody else who is closer could probably buy the lot and sell the parts individually to help them get saved and make a little profit. 

17 minutes ago, MCHinson said:

Not unless there are a lot more parts that are not shown in the photos. I have already discussed these parts with him and from the photos, they are not worth the cost of a trip for him to pick them up. Somebody else who is closer could probably buy the lot and sell the parts individually to help them get saved and make a little profit. 

Agreed, that's two hard days of driving. Probably 12 hours each way.

On 8/18/2020 at 10:43 PM, BillyR said:

image1 (2).jpeg

image0 (3).jpeg

image4.jpeg

image5.jpeg

image6.jpeg

image7.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image2.jpeg

If the wheels are in good condition and 16" diameter, I could be interested in 2 of them if not too expensive (since shipping would be pricey). If you click on my avatar, you can send me a private message.