Options Info from VIN?

Is it possible to get factory info about a car using the VIN? In other words, is there some place that can take the last six digits of a VIN (the sequence number) and tell you what options the car originally had?

Bill

Check with the REO Museum in Lansing. For a fee, I believe $25. they will run your VIN. I think it is posted on the Oldsmobile Club of America Web Site.

• 4 weeks later...

I know of no cars where the last 6 digits (sequential number)of the VIN itself will reveal ANYTHING about the content.

On relatively new cars (last 25 years or so), the earlier digits of the VIN will reveal brand, plant, body style, and engine. Other than engine, no "content" is identified.

Going further back in years, the VIN tells even less. My 66 Chevrolet VIN doesn't even tell the engine type---it only reveals it's a V8 (as opposed to six). My 60 Buick doesn't tell the body style--just year, plant, & brand/model.

• 3 weeks later...

I've worked for a number a years in the retail auto industry (car dealerships) as a bean counter. ADP, and others, offer a software package called VIN Explosion that identifies what you say. The first character is the country of mfgr i.e. J=Japan (you will find Toyota's, Nissans, Mitzis with American numbers because the plant is in the U.S.) W= Germany etc. Then it goes on to the mfgr (JT= Toyota made in Japan) and then as 70 electra has stated. The 8th character from the right (end of the number) is the year of mfgr, i.e. "3" = 2003. This started in 1980, with "A" 1981="B" skipped a few like "O" (never an "O" always a zero same with "i" always a one) They went through the alphabet stopping at "Y" for 2000. Then they started with 1 for 2001. As far as color and other trim items go, it's not on there. The last six digits are the serial number and that's all. BTW, those last six can repeat themselves in different lines from the same mfgr. We had a pick up and a car, both Chevies come to our dealership recently with the same last 6 digits. We use the last six for stock in purposes, so it caused a bit of confusion.