Help with Question please -1942 Lincoln Coupe

jbondjr007

Hello, I am new today here,  I bought a "1942 Lincoln Zephyr -3 Window Coupe"  last fall project car barn / garage type find;  its a true 50's early 60's hot rod Lincoln in a way …..

I am trying to  find out really how many of these were made -- could anyone know or lead me to the right aprox numbers?

I just don't know how really rare it is , and its probably best to sell to a real restoration person/ shop. Undecided right now.

Thank You !

Mark

1942 lincoln front rt.jpg

Nice looking car! What  do you mean by 50's  and 60's HoT Rod ?  Does it have  the V12 engine?  By checking the VIN #  on front cross member you can determine 

if it is a true '42 or an upgraded  '42 to "46.  The grilles look to be  '46 -'48 and the hood ornament looks to be  '47-'48.  Years back I purchased  what I thought was 

a '47 LC  Cabriolet - turned out to be  a rare '42 LC Cabriolet. This could be a held over '42 sold as a '46. Still, all being said the car looks good! Sheet metal  looks to

be real good. Keep us informed ----Good Luck---Larry

Hello , Larry -Mark in rochester ny area,  its pretty solid body wise - frame is mostly solid - there is surface rust underneath and a weak spot at least by the pass side body mount area under foot floor -- there was heavy metal old floor patch work done non pro-on front floors - fire wall and floor hump were modified way back -

it has a  1951 caddy motor with 55 eldorado tri power intake -- and adapter with a ford or merc 3 or 4 spd ? on the floor set up -we drove it off the enclosed trailer and drove it up into my garage - ran fine- NO BRAKES working  --if have cleaned up the top end -flushed it all out 3x already --  it had black diamond tuck n roll interior with zebra style leather trim -- around -mostly all removed --  everything else seems all original really ---i have spent 3k on finding missing better -extra parts so far and such - almost done searching finally--Thanks to Chris Boos - Herrel's help--advice- parts ---A VG Man!  

Where beside the data plates on the firewall can i exactly look possibly - not on a lift - you said cross member sir?  Here's whats on the NJ old title - H135767

Thanks for now again.....Appreciate the help...

According to "The Cars of Lincoln Mercury" 1942 #'s are from H129691 to H136254.  Then for 1946 the first 1,797 units through serial # H138051 were powered  by 1942 engines. 1942 was last year for 3 window coupes. Being a hot rod, someone changed the front clip to 1946. 

Mark,

The Caddy  and the Olds OHV V8  engines were a very popular swap back in the  50's and 60's.  A worn out HV12 was pricey to fix.  Is your trans a side shifter

with a after market floorshift  like an old Foxcraft?  I think your engine might be a 303 c.i.  Try to clean up the engine and have some fun with it ! The  brake

parts are available.  The vin # is stamped on the frt. . cross member near the main frame rail.  This drivers side. Stand at left frt. fender and look down in-

side engine bay. You may have to lightly sand or wire brush the dirt and rust off. The other location of VIN # is  left side frame about 8-10"  left  of gas

fill pipe. The data plate on fire wall , if not removed ; will have the model    ( 26H ) for '42  or (66H) for '46. The next # is the model  code  for the type  ,ie-

coupe, sedan, conv.. etc. The last # if given ,is the count #;  which means actual # coming down the line.  All of my Lincolns--"38 LZConv.coupe, '42 LC

Cab. and  '48 LC Coupe had this info.  If you are not a member of the  Lincoln Zephyr Owners Club, please join !   A lot of great people and a lot  of

good information. POST  PICTURES!  We want to see what you are working on--  Good Luck!---Larry

On 8/16/2020 at 5:29 PM, larry butcher said:

Nice looking car! What  do you mean by 50's  and 60's HoT Rod ?  Does it have  the V12 engine?  By checking the VIN #  on front cross member you can determine 

if it is a true '42 or an upgraded  '42 to "46.  The grilles look to be  '46 -'48 and the hood ornament looks to be  '47-'48.  Years back I purchased  what I thought was 

a '47 LC  Cabriolet - turned out to be  a rare '42 LC Cabriolet. This could be a held over '42 sold as a '46. Still, all being said the car looks good! Sheet metal  looks to

be real good. Keep us informed ----Good Luck---Larry

Thanks Larry - and others- like the Jalopy Journal guys are vg also and helpful ,indeed I Appreciate the help again here-- I will also try to clean around those areas for more ID info -- here is what is on the original intact firewall ID plate also;  26H  72  239
I bought it from a gent in southern ohio tom- whom bought it from the owner I believe was in NJ -- Title is from NJ and 1972 -   I dont think its been on the road since then and seems to have been in storage there and for yrs and then ohio.

It was a challenge so far finding parts and  have some extra spare parts now also since last fall - so about a yr . I may indeed join the club, thanks...
If anyone knows more about this old gal -- please feel free to let me know --Thank you all so far- really....... GOD BLESS AMERICA! 
I have a muscle car that has taken up allot of time and stash money -- so this one has been on the back burner more so.

1942 lincoln rr rt.jpg