1929 Franklin 137 4 Door Only 2 Owners! - $14,995 (West Haven, CT)

https://newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/d/west-haven-1929-franklin-door-only-2/7178040128.html

Gorgeous Classic 1929 Franklin 137. This vehicle is in Fantastic Shape for 91 Years Young and it's only had 2 Owners since it was born in Syracuse NY! Franklin was a auto manufacturer that met it's extinction as a result of the Great Depression in the 1930's. Because of this, these are Rare finds and most people have never even seen one. This Beauty is a 7 Passenger Limo Style vehicle and it must be seen to be truly appreciated. Don't miss out on your chance to own a piece of automotive history with this beautiful Franklin!

00h0h_8xmvJsN2InW_0ew08a_600x450.jpg

00Y0Y_k6fDCP4a9sZ_0ew08a_600x450.jpg

00S0S_eu73EYBA2dV_0ew08a_600x450.jpg

00K0K_BBVMoq2IF_0ew08a_600x450.jpg

00909_7u7AoguGlWO_0ew08a_600x450.jpg

00w0w_6gEM5BJhAaJ_0ew08a_600x450.jpg

00x0x_9VJbKGcswsR_0ew08a_600x450.jpg

00G0G_imN8UIvM46o_0ew08a_600x450.jpg

00r0r_8sWEkv2gQ16_0ew08a_600x450.jpg

• Like 1

Standard factory Walker Body 7 passenger sedan on the long wheelbase for that year.

It has the factory accessory Masco heater, for the front and rear seat areas. And it has the later production Stromberg cast iron U-2 carb ( an excellent carb) instead of the earlier potmetal T-2 or U-2 "crumble carbs".  

Paul

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, deaddds said:

Are these complicated cars or fairly basic relative to water cooled? Hard to find replacement parts?

Much simpler and lighter than a water cooled engine. 

1929 is the first year Franklin used Delco Remy generator, starter, and ignition, so parts are easier to find than earlier models. The cap, rotor, points and condenser (same as 50 Chevy) are still made and available through local autoparts stores. AC fuel pump for which rebuilders, or kits, are  available from a few sources.  Uses the fairly common 6.50- 19 inch size tires.

The large squirrel cage cooling fan is bolted to the crankshaft like a second flywheel. And thanks to it's strong flexible hub it also acts as harmonic damper, so one of the smoothest running 6 cylinders of that era. No pumps, hoses, radiator to ever deal with. No worries about boiling over, thermostat failure, coolant leaks, or cooling system corrosion. And not having all that water cooling system takes a lot of weight off the front end so, tires and brakes last longer and steering is easier. 

Paul 

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Not overly complicated  "just different"  from the normal flat head water cooled motors of that era. One thing to be aware of is that the 1929 series 135-137  do have a tendency to have cracked valve seats which can be repaired but need to have the cylinder /valve "jug" removed and then repaired ( there are guys in the Franklin club that have done and do this) and then put back . You are not dealing with water leaks so that is one less thing to worry about.

Mr. Albright - Mike West is not the only Franklin enthusiast on this web site!  Many knowledgeable Franklin people on here with PFitz being one of the most knowledgeable on the classic era Franklins who does not buy and sell cars.

Looks like a nice car - structural body wood would need to be inspected as it would on any car of this era.

WG

• Like 2

It's killing me to sit here watching this one after having just spent my bundle of cash on the '37 Caddy.  This is exactly the Franklin I hoped would come up...and the price is right too. Oh well. There will be another.

• Like 1

I agree that this is a super nice original car and it should find a new  home soon . I see its missing the shutter thermostat for the hood front, the pop-out ignition switch, the headlight switch and handle, correct clock and the Oakes lock for the fender spare. NAPA doesn't have these parts but I do  all at reasonable prices. Thank you, Mike

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ericmac said:

Believe me,  I'm not sitting here broken hearted. A Full Classic Caddy  convertible sedan is hardly a consolation prize. I just wish I could afford both.

Eric, I am pleased to hear that. You do need to share pictures of your Caddy, or tell me where some are posted so I can look at them!

If I had the money, and any way to have done so, I probably would have jumped on this Franklin the minute I first saw this posting. That in spite of the fact it is really two years too new for my interests! My dad bought a '31 (I think?) Franklin when I was about five. He never did much with it and sold it about three or four years later. He loved Franklins, and I in turn have always had a fascination with them. Every couple years a couple come along and I wish I could get them.

That looks like a great car.   I guess my problem would be that with Franklins there are so many attractive bodies that I would hold out for one of those.   The counter, of course, is that they won't be as nice or as cheap.

• Like 2