1959 Cadillac - stalls when put in Drive

Crin

Hi all,

I'm looking at a 1959 Cadillac I want to purchase.  Upon speaking with the current owner, he told me that it stalls when you put it in Drive.  He said if you keep your foot on the gas and kinda hard shift it into Drive it will keep running.  The engine has been rebuilt recently as has the transmission.  I'm just curious if it's something simple or something I should stay away from.

Thank you for your help,

Crin

13 minutes ago, Crin said:

Hi all,

I'm looking at a 1959 Cadillac I want to purchase.  Upon speaking with the current owner, he told me that it stalls when you put it in Drive.  He said if you keep your foot on the gas and kinda hard shift it into Drive it will keep running.  The engine has been rebuilt recently as has the transmission.  I'm just curious if it's something simple or something I should stay away from.

Thank you for your help,

Crin

If it was an easy fix it would be done by now.  

44 minutes ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Depends on the "fixer".

Ben

That’s true!  
Could be a linkage issue on the throttle that causes the idle to drop, a wrong setting on idle speed, a loss of vacuum or any number of things wrong that take time to trace down.  The fact that it continues to run if the throttle is pressed is a clue.

Check for a leaking vacuum hose between the brake booster and  the manifold. Good place to start.  Another common cause is the incorrect ignition coil. An underperforming coil will start and idle the engine but will not take the load and stall.  

I am of the school of a vacuum leak thinking.having said that most of the time a vacuum leak will cause a high idle there is a possibility if that was the case someone may have turned down idle if so now when put in gear idle is to low resulting in stalling.WAG