1955 Cent

2carb40

Sweatn' with the oldies 2day! Dewpoint 76 degrees with short dry spells btween severe thundr boomers. Tryn' ta sneak in my freshly ceramic coated ex manifolds and the stainless crossover I bought from Wal-something in the bugle. Hope it fits! Using advice from an old salt 55 Cent owner, actually seems 2 B workin out some, so "Tank" U! Heehee! Anxious to take it off the recalled Harbor F... jack stands! Dr side first. I think I lucked out and did the hardest one first for a change. Man its tight on that side! Copper never sieze on stainless bolts, new stainless flat washers and stainless "French" locks. Thin coat of red high temp silicone, no gaskets. Any torque suggestions from in the know folks when using French locks appreciated!20200814_133624.thumb.jpg.a0192aee57874d309136389e395f478e.jpg

Edited by 2carb40 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Btw I had my 57 on Harbor Freight jackstands for months.  When I finally got them loose I discovered mine weren't part of recall.  Be sure to check the model number before you haul them down there with plans to buy something with your rebate...

Thanx! Im deciding wether to use the manual to beat on the car out of frustration! Was really looking forward to bolting up the expensive stainless crossover pipe I purchased from Waldrons out of the Bugle. Raaaight. The pipe and manifold flanges touch on one side...leaving a 1/16"-1/8" gap on the other. Pipe is very strong. Doesnt give. Cant tighten further for fear of breaking cast iron flange off newly ceramic coated mainfold. Thinkin cut a small wedge shape cut  outta middle of pipe to change angle of flange at least on driver side and pay cost of pipe again to have a guy tig back together and hope I guessed right or grind a wedge shape on a spare flange and use extra gasket. Or win lotto and buy one done! Oh wait! I bet Waldrons will handle it......Caveat Emptor is ringing inside my head! Used parts just came up on craigslist locally. Maybe I can just buy used and throw the Waldron experience in recycle bin! I did hear of this issue with Waldrons some time after I bought this. Oh well. S...t happens!

After mulling over my mistake at trusting a company to provide quality parts that FIT, I ve decided to remove it and cut it in half, bolt the two parts to the manifolds and then see how to handle the misalignment at the center of the pipe. SWAGS, comments from others who have solved this b4, folks wanting to buy this pipe cuz they know the "secret" fix, heck, any, ya never know which will provide the answer! Im going to cut the sucker in place with a cutoff disc, then Ill post the photo of the misalignment. Details to follow!

39 minutes ago, Fr. Buick said:

That's where I would cut too.  Much easier to weld back up precisely while in place.

If you want original, I have extras...

Thanx for the offer and welding suggestion. I havent learned tig welding and dont have that machine. Was considering a stainless double clamp about 6" repair clamp Ive seen advertised after figuring out how to cut and ajust back into alignment. Also considering mod to gasket I did on my '41, belt sanding a donut gasket for another application so one side flat the other angled to accept the misalingment at the flanges and move on the head pipe extension. Working outside at 170 yrs old limits my time given the vast beauty however abreviated our summer weather in Many-snow-dah. Of course, two acres, two kids and one wife, ...

Yikes, they still cannot make 'em right.  My 'adventure' was with Kepich.  I thought I got lucky and tried to attach it to the manifolds with it on the engine stand...did not fit.  I took it off and took to muffler shop where they expanded one end.  Got it to fit with the other end one inch into the expanded end.  Clamped 2 pieces of split exhaust pipe and took back to the muffler shop to weld.  Fit well now and good to go, right?  Wrong!  After installing engine and crossover, the flange angle to exhaust pipe was wrong.  Cut a wedge out and clamped again and back to muffler shop to weld.  It ain't pretty, but is functional.  I bought some tail pipes and mufflers from Martin Johnson exhaust, and those parts fit well.  Some friends have bought crossover pipes from him and report no problems.

Take a close look at the flange where it meets your manifold exhaust gasket. I had two sets from the source and both had minimal material at the flange, maybe 1/16". You may get it all in place and not get a good seal or pull through the flange clamp. One set went to my nephews spare pipe rack and the other is in the rafters of my garage. That was for my '60 Electra.

My resolution was to search Ebay and Craigslist for manufactured (not shop bent) pipes. They went on fine. I have stashed away manufactured and NOS pipes for my cars ahead of time now.

I believe their little hearts mean well. In my instance they just couldn't do it. I missed the Danvers National because of all the banging around under the car from misaligned pipes.

A sample view.

134.thumb.jpg.005d813981bdddd65e83f86161f2ce37.jpg

• Thanks 1

I bought one and It came without flanges. When I called about the missing flanges they said they are extra $.   WTF..........

If you need another one do call Martin Johnson. His fit like a glove. No massaging needed.

IMHO SS is not needed for the X over pipe. They last forever...........Bob

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Another option I thought might work is to split the crossover pipe instead of the squashed/joined pipe ends bring duals back off ends staying round but right next one another and curve em out and 45 or so down right in front of pass rear tire. Welcome neg or positive you thoughts alternatives. Yes its non- original sacrilege, but its hot where Im goin anywho! 

I got the 3 bolt flanges pounded up a bit on the studs. Not the way I like stuff to assemble! When I looked the studs were binding in the holes, actually ovals 3/4"X1/2", Wow! The used manifolds I have still have stubs where I  cut the pipes a few inches below the manifold outlet. The factory flange has holes barely bigger than the 3/8" bolts that go thru them! Evidendently someone anticipated problems installing this crossover pipe! I took it down and ground out the holes,(ovals) until they became 3/4" holes! When I went back with brass nuts with flat washers to span the large holes in the flanges the binding was gone and I was able to pull the flanges up to the outlets. Done, Phew! I emailed Waldrons and got a response, to wit; "please send us photos and let us know what the issue is". Nice of them 2 reply, but they can read my description here if they would like. Just my experience. Yours may be different. Moving on.

• Thanks 1

20200818_110400.thumb.jpg.0b672648a9ed21eb33d7d3dcc32b3521.jpgCheck that! Not moving on! Photo update of problem, I think machinist call it "stacking" tolerances. Trying to install head pipe extension piece and when flange on front of that pipe is flat against stainless crossover ext pipe is up against the side of the frame! Now to cut pie shaped wedge out of ext pipe to keep it off frame! Just keeps gettin better!photo shows wedge shaped gap after I rotated and moved side to side, finally centered in frmae hole with connection for muffler level, not a snowballs chance in Finland for gasket suface alignment! Im going to have to cut a 3/8" wedge out of ext pipe an inch back from bolt flange to get alignment and firment at flange gasket. Well at least I can mig this steel ext pipe myself! That last word keeps comin up! Being able to trust venders would be nice!

Well that is a real bite when you have to modify the car or good parts to make an inferior part fit.  Consider applying a rosebud torch while prying away from the frame and tightening the flange.  I would be about ready to take a cutting torch to that POS crossover!

1 hour ago, 2carb40 said:

I'm going to have to cut a 3/8" wedge out of ext pipe an inch back from bolt flange to get alignment and fitment at flange gasket.

It might be better alignment wise to cut most of the way through, open up the 3/8 wedge, then weld in a filler piece. Just sayin...........Bob

• Thanks 1

20200818_150809.thumb.jpg.69eab5de793dd4f10d61136d4b2281b0.jpg20200818_150837.thumb.jpg.2c790a0c2004ddb6269296e847a381d2.jpg20200818_151039.thumb.jpg.4db403ffc3df7a9726789a0da9365782.jpgSure glad I used the angled forward filter upgrade. Straight down woulda hit ex stuff!20200818_123309.thumb.jpg.91546d4c657d023f58e3e7825df1cced.jpgyeah, kinda like this? Only to big and then hit in another spot. Finally just used the exhaust "donut" fix. Able to swivel with the tapered side toward crossover. Attempting to now move on!

20200818_123344.jpg

Edited by 2carb40 (see edit history)