Vermont: Gates Auto Salvage, Shaftsbury [Update: No more parts]

Justin Pease

Antique cars galore! These guys have been my steady source of obscure parts and odd bits and pieces for years now. They have everything from run-of-the-mill junkyard stuff to cars from the 80s, 70s, 60s, 50s, 40s, and even 30s (though the 30s cars are usually just piles of rusting metal by now, with few salvageable parts). They're located at 231 Craftsbury Rd., Hardwick, VT and they can be reached at 802.472.5058 M-F from 0700-1600hrs and Saturday 0800 to 1200hrs. Additionally, one can search some of their parts catalog here.

Additionally, photos of Gates' offerings and relics can be found here. If they have a part you need and you're not local to the area, let me know - I can probably arrange to ship you the part for a small fee, as Gates doesn't do parts-by-mail as far as I'm aware. Hope this helps someone!

EDIT: I reached out to Gates to ask about some parts I needed. I learned that as the scrap price was about to drop, Gates sadly scrapped every single antique car left on their lot. They essentially liquidated their least profitable parts-pulling lot into scrap due to the falling price. Can't fault em, but don't call em for old parts anymore. A big part of my childhood with my dad was grabbing parts from this place together - sad to see the old stuff go :( 

• Like 1

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Vermont: Gates Auto Salvage, Shaftsbury [Update: No more parts]
  • 10 months later...

There was a yard in Brookville when I was a kid my dad and I went there often looking for gems. Went out of business a few years ago. Lots of great memory's are all that's left.