Flushing a T motor

Brad in Wisconsin

crazy.gif I recently bought a 26 Tudor that hasn't been run for at least 25 years,(ran good when parked) Yeah right!. It is loose and a slight bit of Compression. Was thinking of flushing it some with diesel, spinning it with the crank, draining and repeating. Then dropping pan and cleaning out oil tube and seeing if I can get some smoke out of it....Any thoughts on this? Thanks

If it was mine, I would drain it, drop the pan (the little one under the rods), make sure there was no gunk, and use diesel or somthing to flush the rest of the combined crankcase, button it up with clean oil and then go for it....I am just afraid of a rod journal scooping up some doo-doo thats settled somewhere.

Bill

I'd take the transmission cover off as well to see that the band lining was still in good shape. One of the best investments in a T is the accessorie transmission oil screen (@$20.00) that fits in just under this cover. I've had on on my '12 for years and it keeps junk out of the oil.

I'm assuming that, since you said the motor is loose and doesn't seem to have good compression, I'd consider tearing the engine down and rebuilding it properly. Also, while it's open, you can get a good look at the transmission and see what it needs. When you do this and it's properly rebuilt, you will have a more dependable car. My 2 cents.

Rog smirk.gif

I agree with Rprice it only takes seconds to make a mess of an other wise good motor due to stuck rings or dirt in the bearings, Gaskets are cheep in compared to having the crank redone. Where a simple good cleaning would have at least let you know just how good or bad the motor really is. Yes do soak it to help free it up diesal and auto tranni fluid works good and also does loosen up the rings, did a 54 packard that sat 40 years with out being turned over it free up in two weeks and all the rings came free when I took it apart.