RAG JOINT MAKER

bobs1916

50 minutes ago, bobs1916 said:

does anyone  know  of  a  source to  have   old  style  rag joints custom made?  NOT  rubber but   more  fabric  type  like   they  were  originally

Are you talking about the joints on the driveline? There is a guy on this site who has n.o.s. ones.

Google flexible coupling, or Hardy Spicer and you'll find plenty of resources including a number of American companies. In the UK they are also called "fabric couplings".

Terry

2 hours ago, bobs1916 said:

does anyone  know  of  a  source to  have   old  style  rag joints custom made?  NOT  rubber but   more  fabric  type  like   they  were  originally

Fabric, or rubberized fabric ? I don't know of any that were just fabric, but some are so worn the rubber is mostly eroded from the surface so they look like they are just fabric.

I don't sell NOS ones -the rubber is too old and will hardened with use and fail - same as you wouldn't want to drive on old canvas cord tires.

Yes, I can do custom sizes and various thicknesses. From small diameter for generator/water pump drives, on up to eight inch diameter for trucks and fire engines.  I only use modern synthetic rubber reinforced with layers of synthetic fabric. Much stronger than the originals, and unlike natural rubber, is oil and grease resistant.

I also replace the flexible rings for clutch discs, such as Franklin and Nash used in the 1920s.

PM me with measurements and I'll give you a quote.

Paul

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)
  • Like 1