Mounting winch in enclosed trailer

So, the time has come where I am ready for a winch in my enclosed trailer. When I bought the trailer, it included a mounting plate. Unfortunately, that plate is flush with the underside of the floor, so if I mounted a winch, it would be sitting on the floor.

When I move, I put some of tools, plus all the chemicals navy movers won't touch, in the front of the car trailer and the Packard behind it. So I don't really want the winch sticking out like a sore thumb.

I was thinking of using something like this: http://www.midwestracecabinets.com/store/p165/In_floor_winch_mount_Aluminum_Finish_.html

Anyone have any experience, or a better idea? I have a wirefeed at my disposal, so I could do something myself, but also trying to get it done fairly quickly (i.e. by the end of the weekend).

Thanks!

Edit: I think I'm going to buy 4 shoulder bolts from McMaster Carr, and modify a Harbor Freight winch plate to accept the shoulder bolts. Drop the winch plate on, seat the shoulder bolts, quick disconnect to the battery. Voila!

Still open to any better ideas.

Edited by Ken_P (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...

Mount it in the front of the trailer on the A frame.

Cut a hole thru the box for the cable.

Much easier access for maintenance and use.

Put a box cover over it to protect from the weather.

Roger, thanks for the input. I ultimately elected to just bolt it to the floor on the pre-installed winch mounting plate. If I need to remove it, I have to take off 2 battery cables and undo four bolts - super simple. I didn't want to mess with cutting a hole in the box, but I might go that way in the future.