Gizmo to determine sender ohms?

ojh

Anybody know of a gizmo that can be used to determine an unknown value for the fuel tank sender?  I know its a potentiometer, but I've never seen one that gives a readout of its value as you go thru the range.

Thanks Oj

Just use a simple ohm meter,  all the sending unit is, is an ohm meter measuring the resistance to ground through the variable resistor in the sending unit. 

I ran into a problem with GM cars. in the mid 70's some cars had a 32 ohm sender and some had a 64 ohm.

You are going to have to have it out of the tank to perform this test accurately

OK, he wants to find what sender matches his gauge!

Yes, as Padgett says, use a potentiometer, or other variable resistor. Usually 100 ohms or less is needed, but hard to find. You need to find an electronics guy with a large "junk box".😉

Adjust the resistor until the gauge reads Empty, yes, you have to wire a complete circuit as if it was in the car. Take resistor ou tof circuit, use ohmmeter to read resistance.

Put resistor back in circuit, adjust until gauge reads Full, remove resistor and read the ohms again. This will be the sender range you need, the difference in the two readings.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

You might find a test resistor in a scrap electric fuel pump from a Japanese car that uses a built-in sending unit.  The electric fuel pump on my Suzuki motorcycle went bad and I replaced it.  A potentiometer type fuel sending unit was part of the new pump.  In reading about it I found the design was similar to many Mitsubishi built electric pumps for cars and motorcycles.  Most times it’s the pump that is shot but the sender is fine.  It didn’t appear difficult to remove the fuel gage sender unit from the pump.

The year and model of the vehicle will tell almost everything. With a very few exceptions the senders fall into a short list of values. As told above what you need to find the sender range manually is a lower value pot and an ohm meter. A 1K (1000) ohm pot should work great. Hook up one edge terminal to ground and the center terminal to the sender wire. Apply power (ignition On) and adjust as said above for both empty and full. You will then have an accurate range and you can pick the sender that most closely matches the measured range. Do not be overly concerned about the measured and specified values matching exactly, they won't! Just get it close and live with the small error....

One other thing. If the measured range is way different than a standard sender you most likely have a bad fuel gauge or wire or connection somewhere. Fuel gauges are simple meters, but the system can drive you nuts on an old car with old wire and connections. Also, NEVER forget the grounding!! A lot of fuel tanks relied on the straps for grounding. That may have worked when the car was new, but not so much with years of dirt, grime, rust and corrosion.  Just saying.....

Good Luck,

Robin

PS:  Just a tidbit of information for those that want absolute technical accuracy...  The sender is actually a Rheostat and not a Potentiometer.  The difference is that a Rheostat only has two connections, one to the fixed end of the resistance element and the second to the moveable contact. A Potentiometer has three terminals, one to each fixed end of the resistance element and one to the moveable contact.  Just a bit of overly technical detail.  (I would call it a pot in either case and I am retired from the electronic field so I should know better :P).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

OK, he wants to find what sender matches his gauge!

Yes, as Padgett says, use a potentiometer, or other variable resistor. Usually 100 ohms or less is needed, but hard to find. You need to find an electronics guy with a large "junk box".😉

Adjust the resistor until the gauge reads Empty, yes, you have to wire a complete circuit as if it was in the car. Take resistor ou tof circuit, use ohmmeter to read resistance.

Put resistor back in circuit, adjust until gauge reads Full, remove resistor and read the ohms again. This will be the sender range you need, the difference in the two readings.

I found a 0-300 ohm rheostat on Ebay that makes the full pass with less than a full turn of the knob, I can mount it on a plate and add a pointer, use my DOM to create the range on the plate for the pointer to point to.  Maybe I'll post some pics of it when I get the parts.

This car is a '52 Nash-Healey, I've wanted this type of device for other projects and have assumed it would be commercially available.

Thanks, Oj

The article below was copied from a document I found on the web with a simple search for Nash Healey fuel gauge or sender. Anyway you can most likely research the Stewart-Warner D-384C and get the resistance range. Now reversing the direction of the wiper action is all on you :rolleyes:.  It does appear that you found one of the oddballs I mentioned.

image.png.73d191edaa8268c6cda064d5cc0c9d7d.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, padgett said:

Guess it would help to know what car.

No, not really. The OP want's to figure out the sending unit resistance needed to operate his fuel gauge. The process is exactly the same, no matter what car it is. As others have already pointed out, you need a variable resistor, an ohmmeter, and an appropriate battery for the car, period.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 37_Roadmaster_C said:

The article below was copied from a document I found on the web with a simple search for Nash Healey fuel gauge or sender. Anyway you can most likely research the Stewart-Warner D-384C and get the resistance range. Now reversing the direction of the wiper action is all on you :rolleyes:.  It does appear that you found one of the oddballs I mentioned.

image.png.73d191edaa8268c6cda064d5cc0c9d7d.png

I hadn't seen this one, thanks for finding it.  Well, one could use a mirror to read the gauge I suppose.  I'd like to do better.  I am having to make the entire gas tank so the mounting flange is being fabricated anyway.  I made the end caps for the tank today.  Tomorrow is going to be interesting, I couldn't find any 'terne' to make the tank from so I'll have to create it by leading the entire blank for the tank, incl the inner baffles and end caps.  Hmmm.  Thats a lot of lead.

21 hours ago, joe_padavano said:

As others have already pointed out, you need a variable resistor, an ohmmeter, and an appropriate battery for the car, period.

Unless you are working on a car with a dash instrument voltage regulator, such as the Standard VRC 601, used in Chrysler and AMC products. In these the fuel gauge does not work on 12 V battery voltage.

And I'm not talking new stuff here, these started being used in the early 60s.

Edited by Frank DuVal (see edit history)

6 minutes ago, Frank DuVal said:

Unless you are working on a car with a dash instrument voltage regulator, such as the Standard VRC 601, used in Chrysler and AMC products. In these the fuel gauge does not work on 12 V battery voltage.

And I'm not talking new stuff here, these started being used in the early 60s.

Understood, but my point was that you still need a power source.

VDO make a gizmo to test fuel gauges called a Gauge Check  Model #105-001.

Its a 0-300 ohm variable resistor with a ohm value scale on the front face.

You simply connect it to the sender terminal of the gauge with the gauge powered and turn the knob to manually operate the gauge ,reading the ohm values at full, half and empty.

Hope this helps

• Like 1

I used a handful of resistors from radio shack (back when they were still in business) and combined them in various serial and parallel combinations to get different resistances. I could have used a variable resistor but the ones in the local shop were only rated for a few milliwatts and I was unsure if they were up for the task without overheating.

I just cobbled together a series/parallel resistor setup that gave me an empty reading, then measured it using my volt-ohm meter to see what it was (could also have done the math on the resistors). Then I repeated for 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and full.

Turns out there are no volume produced senders that matched up. But using the curve determined from the above procedure I was able to find a universal style that was close for most of the range and then I modified it to work better on the low end of the scale. I wrote up my process and results on my website at https://www.ply33.com/Repair/fuelsender2.html

17 hours ago, 1930 Kram66 said:

VDO make a gizmo to test fuel gauges called a Gauge Check  Model #105-001.

Its a 0-300 ohm variable resistor with a ohm value scale on the front face.

You simply connect it to the sender terminal of the gauge with the gauge powered and turn the knob to manually operate the gauge ,reading the ohm values at full, half and empty.

Hope this helps

I went looking and couldn't find it under VDO, I did find a reference to it as Continental Gauge Check 105-001, an Australian (I think thats where they were) gauge company that sells VDO gauges and downloaded a considerable list of mfgr sending unit and gauge ohm values, incl water temp, oil pressure etc - a very handy list.  But I couldn't find the tool.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ojh said:

I did find it on ebay as 'gauge check 105.001' and it is from Australia, about $300 AUD incl the shipping.  Salty little sucker, no picture available.

What is the year and make of the vehicle you are testing? There is a very simple to do this and not that complicated. and I feel it can be done with out need to purchase equipment you will never use again.  if the gauge and sending unit are out of the car even easier

Edited by John348 (see edit history)

24 minutes ago, John348 said:

The sending unit is in series to ground side of the circuit. There needs to be  a feed in and out for it to work. Looks like something is missing from your sending unit

There is only one wire to the sending unit in my car too. The return path is through the tank to the chassis. Well, maybe not: There is some canvas webbing between the metal parts, so it could be through the metal fuel line that is clipped to the chassis in various places. In any case there is only one wire attached to the sending unit.

10 minutes ago, ply33 said:

There is only one wire to the sending unit in my car too. The return path is through the tank to the chassis. Well, maybe not: There is some canvas webbing between the metal parts, so it could be through the metal fuel line that is clipped to the chassis in various places. In any case there is only one wire attached to the sending unit.

WOW, seems like could become a lot of problems. How does the gauge connect to the sender, electrically?

Are a number of senders like that but is very short. The other way to find out is to connect a bridge to the gauge and determinethe values for empty and full. Will probable need to make one, that tank and sender look pretty far gone.

If common 0-90 ohms might use one of these.

1 hour ago, John348 said:

WOW, seems like could become a lot of problems. How does the gauge connect to the sender, electrically?

Pretty much the same way that all the light bulbs work with one wire: Power wire runs from the ignition switch to the dash gauge. On the other terminal of the dash gauge a wire runs to the sending unit. Return path for the dash gauge is through the instrument cluster to the body to the frame. Return path for the sending unit is through the tank to the frame.

And yes, grounding can be an issue just like it can be an issue with the lights.

Hi Ojh

Have you considered carefully pulling the electrical section of the sender apart to allow you to measure the resistance of the winding.

If you are lucky and get the thing apart, you might see wear marks on the coil made by the contact on the float arm rubbing on the winding .

If this is the case you should be able to get your resistance values by probing the winding and making note of the position of the float arm contact point on the winding at full and empty .

You would need to place one ohm meter lead on the earthed end of the coil and take your readings by sliding the other probe along the coil , the value should change as you move along the winding.

What could possibly go wrong ,might be worth a shot.

Edited by 1930 Kram66
Spelling check (see edit history)

3 minutes ago, 1930 Kram66 said:

Hi Ojh

Have you considered carefully pulling the electrical section of the sender apart to allow you to measure the resistance of the winding.

If you are lucky and get the thing apart, you might see wear marks on the coil made by the contact on the float arm rubbing on the winding .

If this is the case you should be able to get your resistance values by probing the winding and making note of the position of the float arm contact point on the winding at full and empty .

You would need to place one ohm meter lead on the earthed end of the coil and take your readings by sliding the other probe along the coil , the value should change as you move along the winding.

What could possibly go wrong ,might be worth a shot.

1. All you need is a Multimeter. It is handy for other things also like checking voltage, AC or DC, Continuity tests which works out great for checking faulty grounds and such. Olms, to check resistance and it gives you a value. Other stuff that I can't remember right now.

2. Often there is a grounding lug attached to one of the mounting screws. You can run a ground wire from that to a good place to ground like the frame.

3. The wire wrapping inside of the sending unit is a piece of Nichrome wire. If you measure it with a micrometer and get a resistance/ olms reading off of about one inch of it, and know the number of wraps, you could could get a piece and rewind the sending unit yourself if you have the patients to do so. Other wise there are places out there that will rebuild your old nearly impossible to get unit for you. Dandy Dave! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

With all of this discussion of wires, ohms, electricity and other highly technical stuff, I though I'd look up the proper way to operate a multimeter.

I found this most informative video:

Cheers,

Grog

• Like 1

I have a gaggle of DVMs - freebies from HF .

63759_W3.jpg

Also have a number of more complex ones including two clamp on DC Ammeters

71CziP8cEyL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

And assorted ocilloscopes Have made a few break out boxes also. Electronic tools are a hobby in itself.

bob.jpg

• Like 2