Trunk Cardboard for Power Trunk Release Car

Nick57

I have been doing some interior work on my car and put a power trunk set up off my parts car in.  My question is where can I get a cardboard set for power trunk?  I called Clark's because they had color options that may match my original stuff but they don't do power trunk cardboard.  On e-bay they are black and I don't want that and was hoping not do cover in vinyl.  Does anybody have any other sources I'm missing?  A really nice used on would work for me also  I really hate to replace any of what's in my trunk because its so nice and original. 

Thanks, Nick 

Edited by Nick57 (see edit history)

23 minutes ago, Nick57 said:

I have been doing some interior work on my car and put a power trunk set up off my parts car in.  My question is where can I get a cardboard set for power trunk?  I called Clark's because they had color options that may match my original stuff but they don't do power trunk cardboard.  On e-bay they are black and I don't want that and was hoping not do cover in vinyl.  Does anybody have any other sources I'm missing?  A really nice used on would work for me also  I really hate to replace any of what's in my trunk because its so nice and original. 

Thanks, Nick 

Nick,

The trunk cardboard is and should be gray. Here is a link to a trusted Riviera parts vendor selling his on E-bay. James is a good guy and sells good stuff. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1963-1964-1965-Buick-Riviera-Trunk-Cardboard-Lining-Board-with-Remote-63-64-65/232547076266?fits=Year%3A1964|Model%3ARiviera&hash=item3624e2c8aa:g:IAEAAOSwc6pZ-q-p

Bill

• Like 1

Nick, here is another source you may want to try. Hill Jenkins interiors in North Carolina. I’ll include a pic of the kit I got from Hill. Jenkins covered my cardboard with gray vinyl. The vinyl is easy to keep clean. I’m not sure it is the same shade of gray that was originally put in the trunk. However, I got  kit with the trunk floor liner fabric as well.

http://www.jenkins-interiors.com

72FCB89D-59ED-403B-82E1-24402DB5955B.jpeg

2678BD1F-2B1D-4E45-8D3C-DE24840742D0.jpeg

Edited by Turbinator (see edit history)

Here is a pic of the CARS cardboard with the correct repro trunk fabric kit that Jenkins sells. Note , you will have to ask

them to sew in the vinyl reddish orange bead onto the spare tire cover...they don't normally do this in their kits, but that is what is correct. also pictured is the CARS repro brown trunk mat which is identical to the original Buick mat.

DSCN0270.JPG

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)

Something that will work and only a purist would know.  Take the smallest Bulldog clip and attach it in a normal fashion. Then take a pair of pliers and squeeze the sides of the handles together so you can remove the handle.  You can hide the other handle of the back side.  The OE  clips are NOT Riviera only items. Other years and models that had cardboard liners used the same clips. I pulled a handful out of a 63 Electra sitting next to a 64 Wildcat one time.

image.png.9043e6ef6d363110ec9faf9b8b27037e.png

• 1 month later...

The original clips that when you find them are brittle. Unfortunately, they break like as if they were potato chips. Higher margin is a good expression for expensive. Yes, they are expensive. At one meet I got a handful of the clips for $15.00. So, every now and then again a blind squirrel finds an acorn.

Turbinator

These clips are not Riviera specific.  If there's a salvage yard near you that has some vintage tin in it, look in all of the 60's era Buicks and other GM products.  Sometimes you'll find that the cardboard has rotted and the clips have fallen to the floor. Sometimes they'll still be attached to the cardboard but the cardboard will be in a heap.

Just thought I would post the end to my trunk cardboard saga.  I bought the CARS cardboard kit for the car and the templates were spot on unfortunately the cardboard it self was junk.  It is so brittle heat, steam, straight edges and anything else I could think of would'nt make the cardboard bend with out the grey outer layer cracking and falling off.  I have called multiple times  and they tell me to e-mail but seem to not be getting a response at this point.  I guess I'm out the hundred for the kit.   In the meantime I looked at the catalog for Clark's again and realized they only sell a power trunk set that's why they had no idea what I was talking about when I asked between power and manual trunk.  I bought their kit after choosing the color i wanted and the quality is night and day.  It bent so easy with no cracking or any problems the fold marks are set up exactly like the original kit the fit was great.  My only complaint with theirs was that the two holes around the release mechanism are oversized and I had to use trim screws because the hole is the size of the original clip.  There is also a cut out around the bottom where the jack mounts that isn't on my original kit.  Power or not the only kit to buy is the one from Clarks because you can actually use it.  My CARS kit will probably end up in the trash.   

40 minutes ago, Nick57 said:

Just thought I would post the end to my trunk cardboard saga.  I bought the CARS cardboard kit for the car and the templates were spot on unfortunately the cardboard it self was junk.  It is so brittle heat, steam, straight edges and anything else I could think of would'nt make the cardboard bend with out the grey outer layer cracking and falling off.  I have called multiple times  and they tell me to e-mail but seem to not be getting a response at this point.  I guess I'm out the hundred for the kit.   In the meantime I looked at the catalog for Clark's again and realized they only sell a power trunk set that's why they had no idea what I was talking about when I asked between power and manual trunk.  I bought their kit after choosing the color i wanted and the quality is night and day.  It bent so easy with no cracking or any problems the fold marks are set up exactly like the original kit the fit was great.  My only complaint with theirs was that the two holes around the release mechanism are oversized and I had to use trim screws because the hole is the size of the original clip.  There is also a cut out around the bottom where the jack mounts that isn't on my original kit.  Power or not the only kit to buy is the one from Clarks because you can actually use it.  My CARS kit will probably end up in the trash.   

I have also just installed Clark’s cardboard (and trunk mat). As always excellent quality and service. Any issue seen in this picture is all on me.

EF0D4B03-6D80-4EF3-9D81-2217765767A1.jpeg

I have the CARS kit in my car.....all I had to do was take a  razor blade knife and scribe the creases and they bent fine with no cracking. After everything was done and installed I took some matching gray paint on an artist's paint brush and made the creases

gray where the brown cardboard was showing.

• Like 2

I did try the razor knife method on it also and made the shallowest of cuts its like the grey outer layer wasn't properly attached to the underlying cardboard on the kit I got.  It wanted to just peel off in a sheet in the area I did that.  I honestly wonder if I got some from a bad batch of the source cardboard.  Regardless the way the folds are set up to do on the Clarks vs the CARS is way better its set up for a 2 part fold like the original which makes it so the bend works well on the 90 degree folds.  You can see the picture of the new vs old how accurate the kit is. 

D826B98C-5380-4165-B76E-FC6ACC3A45A5.jpeg

B1AD657A-E524-48F3-9B99-A299532735B3.jpeg

Edited by Nick57 (see edit history)