How to remove the Cluster Cover?

I am trying to service the Odometer to replace the cogwheels.  I have read this posts and watched the video and have the parts.  I read the instructions in the TC Service Manual.  It shows the location of 4 mounting retaining screws.  Had no trouble removing the top screws.  At the location on either side the leather visor would be covering the location of the retaining screws.  I may damage the leather if I move it  to find the screws.  I would like to hear from others before I attempt this.  Are the retaining screws there.  Also will the dark leather visor just come off without further attachments?

Hope these pictures help. You have one screw on left side and one on the right side as you look at it in the car. Also 2 under the top lip. As said above have to remove the headlight knob. For that I  used a small flat head screwdriver to release the metal v clip holding it. Its similar to the metal clip holding a bathroom sink drain underneath. Then it should pull kind of straight out.20200815_101729.thumb.jpg.f7ce28d6f035afc7cfd39fd972e3b0bb.jpg

20200815_101901.jpg

• 6 months later...

Hi,

I successfully completed the odometer repair.  When I was putting the cluster back into the dashboard I found this little black plastic washer and am having trouble identifying where it came from.  Does anyone know where this goes (see photo).

20210226_104128.jpg

20210226_105201.jpg

Edited by TC KER
Add photo and description that it is plastic (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/26/2021 at 12:50 PM, TC KER said:

Hi,

I successfully completed the odometer repair.  When I was putting the cluster back into the dashboard I found this little black plastic washer and am having trouble identifying where it came from.  Does anyone know where this goes (see photo).

20210226_104128.jpg

20210226_105201.jpg

I want to say that might be a spacer used for the dash installation. You will find that type of thing all over these cars, and none are *exactly* the same...part of the "fun" of a hand-built car. Usually these end up cracked and in a million pieces on your carpet.

5 hours ago, Jim HIlgeford said:

I also am removing dash cluster.

What is process to removing headlight knob. Manual says push button. my switch has resistor on left and button on right

is not accessible, that I can figure out.

Thanks in advance for assistance.

The knob has a 1-way "clip spring" in it. You need to use a small pick or the like to go behind it and into the little hole to depress that spring to allow you to be able to pull the knob off the shaft (that sounds so wrong LOL). Or, you could opt for the "brute force" method as it WILL come off...but you stand a chance of breaking something else, and that knob is TC specific IIRC.

You got it right Reaper1, depress the spring and the knob will slide right off with little effort. I recommend a very thin knife blade in the slot of the knob.

The slot is at the inner end of the knob, so you need to pull it out to turn on the headlights, then you can see the slot better and you most likely have to rotate the knob to find the tiny slot.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/26/2021 at 1:42 AM, Reaper1 said:

I want to say that might be a spacer used for the dash installation. You will find that type of thing all over these cars, and none are *exactly* the same...part of the "fun" of a hand-built car. Usually these end up cracked and in a million pieces on your carpet.

They are spacers, only.  I forgot them and regret not doing it, because the dash "hums" until I press it back in....