1960 Lincoln Premiere Coupe - $12000 - Mendota, ILL - Note Mine

1960 Lincoln Premiere Coupe - $12000 - Mendota, ILL

https://lasalle.craigslist.org/cto/d/mendota-1960-lincoln-premiere-coupe/7164606237.html

I am only the second owner of this car. It recently had a tune-up, runs/drives great. Always parked inside. Interior is all original and in good shape. Catches a lot of attention driving down the road.  Open to offers. Call text or email

Copy and paste in your email:  bf40d7ba2ff33929aca2a91982235744@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1960 Lincoln Premiere Coupe.

'60 Lincoln coupe Ill a.jpg

'60 Lincoln coupe Ill b.jpg

'60 Lincoln coupe Ill c.jpg

• Like 1

Coupes are neat.  You do see a lot more 4-doors (and even convertibles) than coupes.  Though like we discussed last week, that is an absolute base model Lincoln, so it's vinyl and not leather, very likely hand crank windows, as well as lacking some of the other niceties that come standard in a Premiere.  It would have to be exceptionally nice for the money.  The front bumper looking like it does leads me to believe that it's true what the seller said about it was always parked indoors.  The hood ornament is missing and, while not the greatest photos, there doesn't appear to be a hole (or even a mounting boss) for it anymore.

I noticed the 'Premiere' badge isn't present, though took the seller's descriptions as given, although it seems to be in error.  Why not only the hood ornament is missing but also appears to never have been there is a mystery.  

The take rate for Lincoln two door hardtops occurred as follows as a percentage of overall annual sales:

1956: 47%

1957: 44%

1958: 27%

1959: 22%

1960: 18%

This trend may have been one of the contributing factors to the deletion of the two door hardtop from the 1961 Lincoln Continental body style selection. 

Edited by 58L-Y8
Decreasing annual two door hardtop percentages. (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Ha, I wasn't even paying attention to the title.  The easy way to tell on this one is looking through the windshield you can see the whole upper part of the seat is vinyl rather than fabric.  On the Premiere the fabric insert (or pleated seat pattern in general if all-leather) rolls over the top of the seat.  You don't often see these in a light color but I guess I've never paid attention to the black package tray sandwiched between all that white.  Looks kind of funny.  Also, I'm now noticing that it is probably a non-A/C car.  All the glass looks clear rather than green.

It is possible that the owner got fed up with replacing hood ornaments and decided to have it deleted.  They are very easy to break off when the hood is open, or just in general for thief / souvenir snatchers.  Before the internet, getting a replacement Continental star was hard enough, let alone the two-year-only eight point star that is correct for the Capri / Lincoln / Premiere.  Now they even reproduce them.  

Interesting production numbers.  Does it go the other way for convertibles?

Edited by W_Higgins (see edit history)

For Lincoln convertibles, as a percentage of overall production are as follows:

1956: 4.8%

1957: 8.9%

1958: 10.6%

1959: 8.1%

1960: 8.2%

1961: 11.3%

1962: 10.3%

1963: 10.0%

1964: 9.1%

1965: 8.3%

1966: 5.8%

1967: 4.9%

Quite good percentages for convertibles until the new two door hardtop joined the line for 1966.  The industry trend in general was downward for convertible production by the later 1960's as air conditioning, bad urban air, vandalism and crime took the edge off convertible desirability. 

• Like 1

Might as well share my 'homework' with everyone that I've messaged W_Higgins

As a matter of curiosity to understand how the public responded, I ran the percentages on each series for 1958-1960:

Capri: 23.9%

Premiere: 35.8%

Continental Mark III: 40.2%

Capri: 29.4%

Premiere: 29.1%

Continental Mark IV: 41.3%

Lincoln: 28.8%

Premiere: 26.4%

Continental Mark III: 44.6%

What is surprising is as the Continental prices increased for 1959, that series percentage sold held and increased for 1960.  Given the $1000+ price increase over 1958 for the convertible, its percentage of sales to only diminish a couple percentage points was still a good showing, though the numbers dropped nearly one-third.   The Premiere clearly was giving up sales to both the Capri/Lincoln and Continental for 1959-'60.  It appears as if Lincoln dealers were pushing the Continental to those who were top-line prospects and basic Capri/Lincolns to those for whom price was a primary consideration.