0-5psi Fuel Pressure gauge?

ojh

38 minutes ago, C Carl said:

1927 Cadillac fuel tank pressure :

P.S.   I believe there is some availability in parts piles of owners of 'teens -'20s Cads.

EDB691F9-72F9-46BC-A5D3-945B58864770.jpeg

You tryin to get me in trouble?  "honey, I just bought a 5lb pressure gauge and this Cadillac came with it!'  

Very Nice!  They had fuel lines going to it?  or did they have a sending unit and it was electric?

9 minutes ago, ojh said:

You tryin to get me in trouble?  "honey, I just bought a 5lb pressure gauge and this Cadillac came with it!'  

Very Nice!  They had fuel lines going to it?  or did they have a sending unit and it was electric?

Well, technically it's an air pressure gauge.  The tank is pressurized with a couple of pounds of air.

• Like 1

They connect to the top of the tank and only read air pressure. Lots of vehicles used air pressurized tanks in the early days and many versions of  gas pressure gauges exist.

Most of the early ones are standard size round gauges. Usually marked either Gas or Air.

Greg

If you look at the picture under my name (currently?), you can see the dash from the '24 model T coupe I used to have (really miss that car!). The car was from the hills of San Francisco, and had an after-market hand pump to pressurize the fuel tank, and a five pound gasoline (air) pressure gauge to monitor the pressure.

If I ever get another car running and drivable, I will change the picture (so someone reading this in the future may know why?).

Oh Wayne ! Put that way, I sincerely hope you get to change that picture soon. You really must get behind the wheel of your own car before the sands of time sift much further to your disadvantage. I don't know how long you have been "stuck in the garage", but as one who has been there myself, I know the tears of joy shed when, after years, one is finally on the road again. Well, I have not driven the '24 since March. Been WAY too occupied. I think I will take this as a butt kick to lube the valves and fire it up this week. Man, I sure hope good fortune shines your way soon, my friend.     -    Carl 

Occasionally on fleabay the earlier type 61 gauge shows up which has amps, fuel and oil - they're all individual pieces that you could separate the fuel one on 

The book says you need 1lbs to start, I don't find I need anywhere near that to get it to start (maybe 1/2 lbs) and the regulator once it was all cleaned maintains the pressure flawlessly 

Early Buicks that have a threaded hole in the exhaust manifold that can be used to pressurize the gas tank.  My 1913 Model 31 Buick has this modification (with a an inline spark arrestor) that has performed perfectly with no moving parts for many years.  The back pressure from the muffler provides the perfect pressure to keep fuel supplied to the carb for those long uphill runs....

Edited by Mark Shaw (see edit history)

If the original poster is looking for a fuel pressure gauge for a conventional , non air pressurised system. Any car with a fuel pump, either mechanical or electric. Then it 

is an important safety rule of thumb to not run a capillary tube up to a dash mounted, direct reading  gauge. Us an isolator; usually a diaphragm type, or a electric sending unit near the engine

and mount a electric pressure gauge in the dash.

Oil in the passenger compartment is risky enough  { messy and potential for burns }, but gasoline can be deadly.

Greg.