Philco Transitone C-1550 Radio 1938 Desoto

Al W

Hi I'm looking for some information on how the radio was wired into car.  The radio head has 2 wires coming out of it that were cut off (both same colour).  Does anyone know how/where these wires are to connect (to radio chassis?).  If someone has a Chrysler with the radio installed I believe it would be the same - photos would be great, if possible.

One is power 6 volt + ground and the other negative. Actually the chassis is hot and the other side is not. Doesn't matter if it's a mechanical vibrator. Some solid state vibrators will either not work or be blown with incorrect polarity. Plug for speakr and antenna.

If this helps: 

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/pagesbymodel/957/M0013957.pdf

Bill N

• 1 year later...

To answer my own question - I found literature that states that the -line power (+ground car) is to be attached to the fuel gauge.  After testing the two lines coming out of the radio head I was able to determine which line was the correct as the power switch would only work one way (live power all the time when wired backwards). 

• 2 weeks later...

AIW, As mentioned previously by Bill look at the link to schematic. The two wires on the remote control head are as follows: 1 power in from ignition switch through an inline fuse to that switch in the control. 2 The other side of that switch goes to the dial light in the control AND out back to the radio chassis to supply power. Also on the schematic you will note the POWER is indicated by an 'A' with a little + -. That indicates the basic radio could care less if it is POS or NEG ground. The ground for the radio back to the battery is through the radio chassis and mounting bolts. As mentioned previously the mechanical vibrator in the original radio could care less polarity BUT replacement solid state vibrators ARE polarity sensitive and should be for whatever polarity your radio is connected to.

Again Looking at the schematic you might notice those little Xs on leads. These indicate a connector, Look at the indicator light P/N 55 (in the control head) then past that X to the line filter capacitor P/N 56 which is inside the radio chassis. You will note other of those Xs at the vibrator indicating a removable part and its connectors. Also are Xs at the speaker indicating a connector to the remote speaker NOT in the chassis. I hope this helps.

• Like 1