64 just sold on BAT for 13,700.00

dr914

I agree on dismal values. It may not get any better if Owners are in my demographics. If I can't pass on my Riviera to one of my kids, it will go on the market along with others in the same situation.

Thanks for post that link. It's good to keep abreast on the values of our cars.

John B. 

• Like 1

An interesting mix.  Highly optioned with power vents, cruise, rear defogger, and rear fold away arm rest but base wheel covers. I surely hope the 1950 wide whites are not some older bias ply tires. I guess the two tone paint goes with the two tone seats.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

I actually didn't think it would get to $13k. It was selling at no reserve.

It had rusty bubbles, the interior was ehhhh ... and the engine bay is a mess.

And it's a two-tone paint job that was in need of help.

(But it was numbers matching, so that's a plus)

Considering mine was a no-sale at $18.5 and was WAAYYYYYY nicer (eventually sold private to the high bidder), that $13k was a good price I thought.

Edited by bodayguy (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I looked at that listing again and this time the pictures. It has me with many questions.

Am I missing something here? I've owned my 1963 Riviera a long time. But can our early Rivs be raised on any lift? I question the 2-post lift in those images.

John B.

7 hours ago, XframeFX said:

Am I missing something here? I've owned my 1963 Riviera a long time. But can our early Rivs be raised on any lift?

Sometimes I tell my wife that others live more blissful lives than I.

Bernie

I had my 64 on a two post lift for a couple of months while I did brakes, brake and fuel lines, gas tank, undercoating, etc. BUT I made sure it was balanced and the arms of the lift were lifting the frame and not the body. Someday, someone will try a body lift and the frame and engine will drop out of the body.

Did you notice that the "stock" wheels included are not "stock?" 64s could not be had with rally wheels. 🤔

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

9 hours ago, XframeFX said:

I looked at that listing again and this time the pictures. It has me with many questions.

Am I missing something here? I've owned my 1963 Riviera a long time. But can our early Rivs be raised on any lift? I question the 2-post lift in those images.

John B.

I recall seeing on this forum where a member made a bar to work with what i think was a 2 post lift. 

I also placed my "63 on my two post lift and used the frame for lifting points. I will never pick up a car or truck anywhere else than the frame.

BTW, the "63 balanced very nicely on the two post.

Will these cars ever go up in value?  

the design is certainly iconic and is always mentioned as one of the most beautiful cars ever designed, however we, the children of the original first generation original owners are now ourselves getting old, and I think that we are passing the point where the cars were the most valuable.  Of course low mile GS models will always bring the money but for the rest???

No matter what I buy someone is always there to tell me I paid too much. Back in 1978 the $2,000 I paid for my '64 was literally ridiculous, in that I really was ridiculed and shown cars I could have bought for $1,000. Half what I paid. For the past 15 or 20 years I have also been paying the full sales tax due on cars. It was a conscious decision on who I wanted to be. And they set the example of who I didn't want to be.

I still remember my grandfather talking about a customer and saying "The man's got fish hooks in his pockets".

Happy to take the generous tag because I did "snoozed and losed"... over money.

• Like 2

The undercoat/sound deadener is about the same thickness I removed from my '64 when I cleaned up the bottom in 1988. I painted it all with satin black then. In 1994 I took it all apart again and did all the chassis mechanical work. I had painted it on 1980-81.

In 2011 I found the same level of  undercoat on the '60 Electra. Experience had taught me the sound deadener was important and left it all on the second car. We cleaned it thoroughly and gave it a fresh coat of something they pump out of the old Love Canal basin in Niagara Falls. The Riviera haqs Valspar polyurethane.

007a.thumb.jpg.918a9890699abaa40915bddfd1d74f4c.jpg

The Electra got Imron on the suspension and tar on the fuel tank and body.

026.thumb.JPG.f9a68f0ff206545c3bd74db44fe93b15.JPG

130.thumb.jpg.2ad9b6b048a16d81bc77da817d682332.jpg