Clearing Fault Codes

After about an hour searching thru the service manual I finally found this on page 14-24 of the red manual (same page for blue manual).

If the problem is repaired or ceases to exist, the SMEC cancels the Fault Code after 50 to 100 ignition key on/off cycles.

I wanted to make this its own thread as it applies to multiple cases.

• Like 1

If you want to clear the code, you can do so by disconnecting the battery for a short time.  The codes will usually clear in a few minutes but it may take as much as 10 minutes without battery power.

If you check the codes again after disconnecting the battery, you'll see a code 11, 12 and 55.  Codes 11 will be removed the next time the engine starts, and code 12 (“battery disconnected”) after about 15 starts.

• Like 1

Thanx guys, needed to know those tid bits of info. I have come to the conclusion that the cause of my fault code... Is... Wait for it... something electrical or vacuum is expanding in the heat. As I mentioned when ambient temperature is above 85ish check engine light comes on pretty much all day. Where as when temp is lower, like today, no light. Also if I let the engine idle for more than a couple of minutes the light eliminates as well. Now I just have to figure out the culprit. Thanx again for the effort you guys put in to assisting me! Very much appreciated!!!

That sounds like EVAP to me...it's the system that recycles the evaporative emissions from the gas tank into the intake to burn them so as to help keep pollution down. I could be completely off base, but given the circumstances it happens in, *I* would check there. I have watched boats blow gas out of the vent after sitting in the sun, so...

On 8/8/2020 at 8:35 AM, Hemi Dude said:

He is already aware of the ‘tune’, if you would have read the messages above.

"tune"? I was referring to the post from  Plumbinguy  not the OP. He did not mention any code #'s...

Thanx guys, needed to know those tid bits of info. I have come to the conclusion that the cause of my fault code... Is... Wait for it... something electrical or vacuum is expanding in the heat. As I mentioned when ambient temperature is above 85ish check engine light comes on pretty much all day. Where as when temp is lower, like today, no light. Also if I let the engine idle for more than a couple of minutes the light eliminates as well. Now I just have to figure out the culprit. Thanx again for the effort you guys put in to assisting me! Very much appreciated!!!