Sign in to follow this  
Peter Gariepy

Check out the Cadillac/LaSalle Club Discussion forums!

I do...constantly! I would very much like more information on the history of the 70s models, up through 78. I have a 77 Eldorado Biarritz which I love, and want to learn as much about the model, its history and development as possible. I have heard it said that it was simply a duded up Toronado but I do not believe that. However I do not have the facts to back up my believe.

This is my first time here. I need some ones help concerning my 1973 Eldorado Convertible. The Eldo was totaled on July 21,2004 by a drunk driver and his pick-up truck. The car was parked on the street( it was at the garage for it's 2000 mile oil change) and the insurance company is telling me my car is not a classic or collectible. They are also willing to give me $5,500.00 as they have found the same year Eldo in San Diego, CA. My car had 91,301 org. miles, org,paint, org leather seats, org. parade boots, new conv. top, new white wall tires(the only 2 things not org. on the car) everything worked on and in the car. I need to find comparable Eldos, first to get fair dollar and second to be able to afford another one. Also I am the second owner and have had the car almost 10 years. I do hope someone out there can help me.

Sincerely,

Damian

Guest imported_CarFreak

It sounds like you need to hire an appraiser ASAP! Any vintage car owner should have an appraisal completed BEFORE something happens but sometimes it is better late than never. A good appraiser should inspect your car in person and make a determination of what condition the car was in prior to the accident.

By inspecting paint, condition of chrome, interior, etc., even though the car is "totalled" they should be able to still tell a lot about the car before the collision. A collision is not going to make the chrome pit and rust or the interior and top show wear. Granted the car is destroyted but unless it burned you are still going to see the inherent (former) beauty come through if it was a nice car. Your incident is a strong argument for having your cars appraised before an accident happens and/or checking your insurance policy for agreed value and settlement terms. An appraiser should be able to issue you an opinion of value that you should be able to take to the insurance company and argue your point. OR you never know, the appraiser may tell you that the insurance company is right on their offer to settle. Either way an appraisal is the way to go in this instance. Good luck!

Could somebody tell me a little history of my car, and also price, it is a 1975 cadillac fleetwood 75 d'elegance (original limo) it has never being re-painted, EVERITHING is original except the tires, belts, and engine suports it has 3567 original miles and

Mexicano,

Companero! My father was a dealer for Hess and Eisenhardt (Cincinatti) limousines in Philadelphia, and I got to drive all of the new and old trade-ins he had. The 1975 was special because it was the very last full sized- full frame Cadillac. It was also the last to have the long and low tapered tail. The 1976 models started with the shorter frame and the rear ends tended to not taper down as before (my opinion here). 76-78 were still good cars, but you could feel that they were lighter, quicker, and didn't have the solid road feel of the older model Cadillacs. By 1982, Dad was only selling Lincoln town car-limousine conversions, and that all ended by 1988 or so.

Not the history that you asked for, but I thought I would pass that on anyway. There are still some of my favorite Cadillacs.

Feliz Navidad!

I had a similar experience. remember, the insurance companies are in business to collect premiums, not to pay claims. You will need to file a law suit in your local circuit court system, for the amount you desire, against the owner of the vehicle that hit you. believe me, you will get a prompt reply from the insurance company, anxious to settle the claim. Good luck! char

Help: am looking for the name and Email of the AACA Archivist. He owns a Cadillac V-16 and contacted me a while back to have his car included on the roster of survivors. Thanks. Yann

Thank you for the info

We are sitting on Bostons only Cadillac graveyard. We have junked over 350 Cadillacs since 1968 and have over 75 Cadillacs in our junkyard.

If any needs help or has questions about Cadillacs feel free to call me at night 6pm-9pm

John Gately, Gately Cadillac Restoration, Boston, MA