'39 Roadmaster 81 Transmission

Senbotsu

Anyone have any leads on where to get a replacement 2nd gear (or whole transmission) for the 81?  Mine has been sitting in the transmission shop for a year now with no luck sourcing a part.  The mechanic is going to keep looking for a few more months before giving up, which probably means having to replace the original engine and transmission which I really really don't want to do.

37 minutes ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Try

DME,  625 Forest Hills Road,  Forest Hills, KY. 

Dennis C. Maroudas, Owner

606 237 6648

dmellc@suddenlink.net

Ben

Thanks! I shot him an email.  Here's hoping it bears fruit!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Senbotsu said:

Anyone have any leads on where to get a replacement 2nd gear (or whole transmission) for the 81?  Mine has been sitting in the transmission shop for a year now with no luck sourcing a part.  The mechanic is going to keep looking for a few more months before giving up, which probably means having to replace the original engine and transmission which I really really don't want to do.

group 4.395 part 1308195 Gear 2nd. [part M is image below] Is unique to 1939 series 60-80-90. 

Transmission casing etc is unique to 1939 series 60-80-90. Synchro drum is also unique

The drive line of 1939's is different to years.  Not easy to change.   We hope your mechanic is not considering a complete change [V8]

Image is for 1940 s60-80-70-90, so is a little different to 1939.  Gear change method - output/torque ball

1928-52 Master Parts Book pg 108-A_S.jpg

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)

Check with David Tacheny in Minnesota. I was in a similar situation five years ago. Worn out transmission in my 1939 model 81. I put out the word on this forum and in the Buick Bugle. I ended up obtaining an NOS cluster and lightly used first-reverse slider gear and second gear from a source in California who is no longer in business. As I understand it, they are one-year-only parts. David couldn't help me with my gears then, but he has helped me with other 1939 parts.

Edited by BuickBob49
Clarification (see edit history)

On 8/3/2020 at 3:23 PM, Senbotsu said:

Just spoke with Dave T mentioned previously and he does have a complete 1939 Century trans, which came with the 320" eng.  His phone # is above and you do hafta be persistent and call back if no answer. No anwering machine, no computor. Good luck!

• Thanks 2

On 8/8/2020 at 9:34 AM, Gene Brink said:

If all else fails, and assuming you have the old gear [or enough of it] to take measurements you can have a duplicate made by any number of precision gear manufacturers. Here is one and if they can not help perhaps can refer you http://www.amgear.com/specialty-gears.html. Won't be cheap but... Good luck.

That's another route I was considering.  This place called rushgears.com does a lot of one-off gear fabrications, so I may go that route if I can't find a NOS/lightly used replacement part.  The existing gear is just missing enough teeth to kick out of gear if you don't hold it in second, but not so many that it fails to stay meshed if you hold it.

On 8/3/2020 at 5:01 PM, Dave_B said:

Did you try Dave Tachney? He might have a transmission. Call between 5 and 7 pm. He doesn't do email. 763-427-3460

Dave

Dennis didn't pan out, so I'm going to try Dave tomorrow.  What time zone is he in?

• 4 weeks later...