65 Speedometer cable

phoemsen

During the restoration, The speedometer cable was installed without an insert. When we finally got around to putting a new insert in, we apparently cut and crimped it too short. This resulted in a lot of noise from the speedo head, so I disconnected it at the transmission end. I finally got around to installing a whole new cable that I had purchased from CARS a number of years ago ( SC612-4 ). The new cable assembly is about 4 3/4" longer than stock. This doesn't seem to be an issue, it routed just fine between the body and frame.

I had removed the dash pad thinking that would help in the removal and replacement of the new cable, but I found out that access was easier by removing the fuse panel. Now I just need to re-install those two items.

It is GREAT to have a working speedometer!!! Now I don't have to use the phone app/GPS to see how fast I am going. There is about a 5% discrepancy between the app and the speedo, the app reads high.

IMG_1369.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, phoemsen said:

During the restoration, The speedometer cable was installed without an insert. When we finally got around to putting a new insert in, we apparently cut and crimped it too short. This resulted in a lot of noise from the speedo head, so I disconnected it at the transmission end. I finally got around to installing a whole new cable that I had purchased from CARS a number of years ago ( SC612-4 ). The new cable assembly is about 4 3/4" longer than stock. This doesn't seem to be an issue, it routed just fine between the body and frame.

I had removed the dash pad thinking that would help in the removal and replacement of the new cable, but I found out that access was easier by removing the fuse panel. Now I just need to re-install those two items.

It is GREAT to have a working speedometer!!! Now I don't have to use the phone app/GPS to see how fast I am going. There is about a 5% discrepancy between the app and the speedo, the app reads high.

IMG_1369.jpg

I would say your speedometer reads low. Those GPS units are extremely accurate.  Does Canada measure distance in MPH or KPH?  If miles per hour, you should be able to check it yourself.  You can drive a measured mile in exactly 60 seconds at 60 mph.  If KPH, get on Google and look for a formula.

• Like 1

Most all re-popped cables flex in a twist and produce a lower read out. They're simply not as good as original.

An old timer speedo repair man told me that.

You're better off getting an old (un cut) one from the junkie.