Vicki Wood, Who Broke Auto-Racing Gender Barriers & Records, Dies at 101

Marion McAlpine

Thank you to fellow AACA member and judge Elysee Marshall for forwarding me the obituary of Vicki Wood, who broke down barriers to women in auto racing and set speed records in the process.  According to her obituary, Ms. Wood, who died on 5 June, was the first woman to race at the Daytona International Speedway (1959) and she won 48 races between 1953-1963.  Read her obituary--it's very interesting.  I'm sorry I didn't know more about her before now and didn't get to meet her.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/12/sports/autoracing/vicki-wood-dead.html

Edited by Marion McAlpine
Added date of death (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Wow, I have two friends that moved from New York to the Winston Salem area. They told me that unlike N.Y. papers, the NASCAR results are front page news. They also told me that NASCAR fan's are the most hard core fans of any racing venue. They said that some actually quit watching races when Toyota was admitted. Some quit when Danica Patrick was allowed to race and some recently quit when NASCAR allowed two new drivers that they don't like. I can't imagine what Ms. Wood went thru with some of those good ol boy's. She deserves a lot of credit and I hope NASCAR mentions her on the next telecast.

• Thanks 1

I hate to say it but she's probably lucky she survived racing for as long as she did.  I'm surprised one of those good 'ole boys who were shamed by her on the track in the '50s and '60s didn't put her over a wall or through a barricade.  As the cars were no where near as safe as they are today, and with no safety barriers or walls, she could have been seriously injured or killed.  I'm humbled by her accomplishments and spirit.  May she rest in peace.  

• Thanks 1