Body: no 1 Chrysler imperial roadster

Car amazement

3 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

... the landau iron is on backwards (a WAY too common mistake!). The hinge pin (the bump in the middle) is forward of the iron. Which means that if the top is folded down the landau iron will point to the back of the car, sticking back far enough to poke people in the face or trip them at the feet or knees as they attempt to climb in or out of the rumble seat!

Wayne, I finally understand what you're saying. I've seen the discussion a number of times, didn't doubt you but never quite got it. I looked back at photos I've made of unrestored cars and I see  the difference. In some cases with the non-folding tops the  "fake" hinge pin seems to be in the middle -- neither forward nor backward of the iron.  Is the iron sometimes symmetrical so it can be mounted either way or is it just not clear from the photograph?

DL, I have seen some cars with the dummy irons that had the dummy hinge pin point in the middle.  My "assumption" has always been that it was done that way to have a single dummy iron work on both sides. Save a dollar, as well a half a minute on the assembly line. Ford built a lot of the model A sport coupes, and even Henry's lady had dummy irons with a given front and back, and therefore a right and a left. I have had a number of friends with model A Ford sport coupes, and seen the original sales brochures and images showing the way the dummy irons were mounted. My first running car when I was in high school was a 1929 Reo Flying Cloud master sport coupe. So I learned early which way they are supposed to go.

It really doesn't make much difference on the dummy irons. They are just decorations. However, looking closely at many original era photographs, I have only seen a few with the dummy irons on backwards (upside down, side to side?). I did point one out a few days back on the "Period images" thread. However, on the live irons with folding tops, it makes a big difference.

17 hours ago, Oregon Desert model 45 said:

Top rests are visible in one of the photos, so this must be the convertible coupe, not the sport coupe version.

The top mechanism might be in that pile of metal parts on the driver seat area.

top rest.jpg

I was able to take the body panels off to begin work on the chassis and I found all these parts buried in the car. Great news!!!

ABB31D83-C13A-4524-AF3C-E7A06BEB3ACB.jpeg

FD251EEA-4FF3-45BD-9B0E-66EFF99AC586.jpeg

• Like 2