Lets see more blast from your car past photos

Start off.

This handsome 24 y.o. 6 foot greaser (Me) spraying genuine nitro on the 1933 Pontiac 8 , rumbled coupe in 1985.

On frame resto with a hand cleaned detailed chassis.The stainless repro radiator cap indian head in ring was $300 in '85.  The motor job....we won't talk about $,$$$...quiet smooth driving car at 55.

0802201632.jpg

0802201632a.jpg

• Like 5

33 Ponty Finished..

This car was a car club presidents ride.Took many a first award and was a local favorite..My claim to fame at that time..Still looks good I hear.

Binks No.7 gun..I still use it.

0802201633a.jpg

• Like 7

Here's the only photo ever taken of our Cordoba. That's me in the picture, circa 5 years old, around 1989/90. My mom's Chevelle's hubcap in the background. 

2vDEWtdSx2zUmm.jpg 

My dad was a lifelong mechanic, he could make anything run...the Cordoba was the only car he ever gave up on. Pawned it off on, err, gave it to a relative. We had it for probably less than a year. 

• Like 3

My grandparents' wagon and my parents' truck. That little camper by the truck was sold to pay for the house I still live in. This is either 1975 or 76. I never got to "meet" any of these vehicles. The truck was lost to an accident when it was only a few months old. 

2vaCzFWgx2zUmm.jpg

A better view of the Ford, at least the nose. My grandparents had given it to my parents at some point and I know I was in it- we have a photo of me standing on it's hood at under 2 years old- so young that I basically am still being held to stand up- but I have no memory of it.

2vaCzd2dx2zUmm.jpg 

I don't have a lot of old car photos because my Mom, who was the family photographer before I took over that role, only took pictures of people. 

• Like 2

B.Kingsley ,The wagon reminds of the Brady Bunch wagon...Dig those plastic wood sides..

A friend had a Caviler..I sware they are or were the Model A Ford of the modern era.

We have them all over till this day .

Not many I knew had a school bus..Hearses yes..school buses no.

You got more pics of the past let'um rip.

Georgie Cole the Stovebolt kid!

We had a '53 4 door...we named it the "Green Hornet" ran it till '67.

It had a habit of tossing it's air cleaner every now and then.  lost the brakes on "Heart attack hill" in '66..

Here I am again at 13.5.

First complete car.."The Beauty Winner Of 1936"Dodge. $50 from Roy's Transmission. 1974.

0701181829.jpg

• Like 6
8 minutes ago, Flivverking said:

First complete car.."The Beauty Winner Of 1936"Dodge. $50

The Ram on the hood was worth  more than that in 1974. Had a 36 Dodge hump back delivery in 69 and didn't dare leave the ram on the hood for fear someone would steal it. Hope your car is still around. I'd love to have another one. 

9 hours ago, Flivverking said:

B.Kingsley ,The wagon reminds of the Brady Bunch wagon...Dig those plastic wood sides..

A friend had a Caviler..I sware they are or were the Model A Ford of the modern era.

We have them all over till this day .

Not many I knew had a school bus..Hearses yes..school buses no.

You got more pics of the past let'um rip.

Georgie Cole the Stovebolt kid!

We had a '53 4 door...we named it the "Green Hornet" ran it till '67.

It had a habit of tossing it's air cleaner every now and then.  lost the brakes on "Heart attack hill" in '66..

Here I am again at 13.5.

First complete car.."The Beauty Winner Of 1936"Dodge. $50 from Roy's Transmission. 1974.

0701181829.jpg

The '48 belonged to one grandfather.  The '52 was my parents.  The '53 belonged to the other grandfather.  My blood's not red, it's Chevy Orange.

And there's no 'i' in George.  :)

I call this photo "Genesis of a Car Guy." It's 1973 and that's 3-year-old me. My father and I had just randomly wandered into a tent in our town square to see what was going on--an antique car auction. Without any knowledge or experience, my father put his hand in the air and bought the 1934 Ford sedan behind me. 47 years later, and, well, here I am.

MNH-1973.jpg.76495604951677d70a204fba8abfc20c.jpg

• Like 9
15 hours ago, Billy Kingsley said:

My grandparents' wagon and my parents' truck. That little camper by the truck was sold to pay for the house I still live in. This is either 1975 or 76. I never got to "meet" any of these vehicles. The truck was lost to an accident when it was only a few months old. 

2vaCzFWgx2zUmm.jpg

A better view of the Ford, at least the nose. My grandparents had given it to my parents at some point and I know I was in it- we have a photo of me standing on it's hood at under 2 years old- so young that I basically am still being held to stand up- but I have no memory of it.

2vaCzd2dx2zUmm.jpg 

I don't have a lot of old car photos because my Mom, who was the family photographer before I took over that role, only took pictures of people. 

I remember those Apache pop-up "tent" trailers well.  It was the first one I saw that had all fiberglass folding panels above the belt line and at each end, instead of canvas. 

Craig  

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

I call this photo "Genesis of a Car Guy." It's 1973 and that's 3-year-old me. My father and I had just randomly wandered into a tent in our town square to see what was going on--an antique car auction. Without any knowledge or experience, my father put his hand in the air and bought the 1934 Ford sedan behind me. 47 years later, and, well, here I am.

MNH-1973.jpg.76495604951677d70a204fba8abfc20c.jpg

Daddy, buy me one.  Holy impulse buy

Those all great shots...I'm fond of thoze pop up trailers ..I helped a friend convert one to a huge dump run trailer when he moved in the 90s.

Gezz! And impulse buy of a 1934 is really something when your son has a rope for a belt..😎

Then we have a young Romeo juggling  3 young girls. But I think the first one on the left finally figured out your game.

I wonder what was that car Terry B.?

With no shame here Iz me Flivverking again..circa 1966 changing my first tire on a 1962?3

Plymouth Valant...It was standard shift with a red interior and the fake spare tire stamped on the trunk.

Keep them coming

.empty those shoe boxes full of kodakchrome or brownie black and whites of your or family/ friends old rides or tin sitting on the street you took notice of to snap a pic. back in the day.

0402182057a.jpg

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Flivverking said:

Those all great shots...I'm fond of thoze pop up trailers ..I helped a friend convert one to a huge dump run trailer when he moved in the 90s.

That's want happened to the majority of them once the canvas deteriorated to the point of being no longer functional as a holiday trailer.  I've seen many where the insides and top were removed and door was either welded or permanently bolted shut, and used to haul trash to the dump.  I wouldn't be surprised if that's what happened to our old 1968 Otto tent trailer.

Craig 

Nick8086.

What ever that car is with what looks like a real nifty visor..it appears to be parked below some massive out cropping wall of rock at a cliffs base.  Odd place to for someone to build an out house.

Nice pic B.K. Old family pics with cars are great to show..Thats why there were tooken(or is that taken?) and saved for the future.

First car, 1971 Buick Skylark sedan.  When I got my driver's license in 1978, my mother bought a new Buick and I got the old one.  I wasn't crazy about a four-door sedan, but the car was fast, roomy, and the air conditioning was so cold you could have hung meat in the car.  It had terrible traction in snow, I had to put sand bags in the trunk to get the car not to spin the tires, and I had snow tires on it.

1971 Skylark 2.jpg

• Like 1

Clarence Sharp, owner of the Pebble Beach Selden car at the 1974 Genesee Valley Antique Car Society, Rochester Institute of Technology Show, standing. And his friend, Skyrocket, of railroad fame, seated.  They had to tow the Selden with his Model T Ford to get it going. Soft tire and a puddle under the radiator. The car was not as well received as it was at Pebble Beach.

1070612728_001(7).thumb.JPG.2ce2b40927dc7ba8a59b2b91d0f1d7cc.JPG

And me with the '36 Chevy from the back of my Grandmother's carriage house. They brought it from the farm when they bought the old mansion in town.

012.jpg.6fa63946460bcbc5d6293d903d3beb77.jpg

My Dad used to flip a car once in a while. Here's a '50 Pontiac, me, and my shiny Fanner 50. The guy that bought that car from my Dad still stops me in town and always tells me how good it was.

007.jpg.16174153ea97cac494f64ebd7f3f8765.jpg

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Bernie, the 1970's were much sharper and colorful than old faded photos suggest.  I used to enjoy the GVACS RIT show annually, though it had to be the hottest, most humid, not a breath of air stirring spot on a July afternoon for a car show on those parking lots.

BTW,  I use the free photo manipulation shareware www.irfanview.com, you can see how well it can work on those faded color images:

Clarence Sharp, Pebble Beach Selden,1974 GVACS, RIT.jpg

Bernie Daily, '36 Chevy 1971.jpg

On 8/4/2020 at 8:45 AM, Skylark4367 said:

First car, 1971 Buick Skylark sedan...I wasn't crazy about a four-door sedan, but the car was fast....

1971 Skylark 2.jpg

My first car was a '66 Impala Super Sport with a 327 4 bbl. engine...a real "muscle car" (I thought.) Of course, it wasn't really a muscle car, just one of the millions of cars that were sometimes marketed as such ( 327 Impalas, 283 Novas, 289 Mustangs..etc.) This fact became apparent to me when I would drive my parents' car at the time - a 1969 4 door Buick Skylark with a 350, much like yours. And like yours, it was pretty fast. Noticeably faster than my prestigious SS Chevy. To make matters worse, the Skylark had previously been owned by my grandma!😄

Edited by JamesR (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 8/2/2020 at 4:26 PM, Billy Kingsley said:

My dad drag racing a school bus at the US Diesel Truckin' Nationals at Englishtown, NJ, circa 1993.

2viTsGQix2zUmm.jpg

WOW! What was his top speed? Elapsed time?

• Like 1

More absolutely great past car pics with some stories tell...which is the best part.

Here is a 41 plymouth station wagon I spotted behind a house in rual Connecticut half under a tarp.

,partly dissassembked but complete ,sunk in the ground.My inquiry was answered with"you want it, take it"

All by my 23 year old self( 1984?) the next morning I got it dug out and loaded,only to be met while pulling it out of the yard by the Ex husband who by chance came a stalking...Ex wife called it" to late you SOB".

So off I went and them screaming.

. After stashing the woody here and there for about 4 years I sold it for $ 400..when the last host moved..The photo is of it being brought to its last storage site.The on looker was a guy named Norman.whos van I used and "son in law "of the car collector /land ower.Other guy I forget..We all  were in the same car club.

IMG_20190318_211307_01.jpg

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

Me, VERY early in the morning in front of my first 1931 Dodge Brothers coupe being interviewed by a teen magazine article writer. Practically asleep....

Oh, COME ON John...!  Nobody is buying that. We all know you were stoned. 😎

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, keiser31 said:

I imagine around 25.70 seconds. Lol.

It's the reaction time that always gets me. "Did you look at the lights or did the guy tap you on the shoulder?"

• Haha 1