What I go through to get parts

Could not find a torque converter for a 62 Galaxie with a 292 locally so I go to Cleveland Ohio from Dayton to pick up another trans,on the way there the left front tire loses air so I stop at a truck stop to change it.   Factory jack is completely froze up and even though my spare is holding air has two nails in it,was able to borrow a jack and limped to a tire store to get a pair of cheap tires since if one tire went the other is probably not too far behind and I have no jack.  Did not have to abort the mission and picked up the trans and a nice trip home but was not wanting to buy new tires for this truck since its going to get a frame swap from a 1/2 ton to a 3/4 ton,I do have another vehicle those tires will be going on so not really a waste of money.   I always try to help people who are having problems on the road and found out when you do help them it does come back to you if you are in need and the truck now has a well oiled scissor jack behind the seat.

• Like 5

Good to hear you made it through your trip safely.

It does pay off in the long run to pay it forward.

I've carried jumper cables in all my cars since I started driving.

Never once have I needed to use them to jump my own cars but I have used them many, many times to jump start other people's cars.

I don't mind at all, but most people look puzzled when I turn off my car and tell the to try to start their car.

If it won't start I will start my car and let it run for at least 5 minutes to charge the dead battery a little then have them try again.

I've read that with modern cars it's never a good idea to have the other car's alternator hit your charging system with a big spike as soon as the other car starts and their charging system sees the very low battery.

Don't know how true that is but I would rather play it safe and not damage my charging system or electrical system just trying to help out a stranded motorist.

Been looking into getting one of those tiny lithium ion battery packs and carry that as well.

About a year back I helped a guy out that had one.

He had a heavily modified '56 Chevy that wouldn't start after he fueled up.

His battery was in the trunk so he asked me to attach the booster pack and remove it immediately after the car fired up.

Worked like a charm to start his very modified big block.

I also most of the time carry jumper cables in my modern cars. I did once have a battery in my car fail without warning and had to ask for a jump for my car. However, I have started other people's cars dozens of times. I also often carry a fire extinguisher. NEVER needed it for my car, about four times for other people's cars.

As for your jumping other people's cars with your engine off? I do the same thing. I am not certain it is necessary? But from some of the things I have seen, I consider it a good idea, and in some circles, I would be considered an expert. And my dad was an expert, and he agreed it was a wise decision. For whatever it is worth.

• Like 1

I think its the second time I had help so I need to help some more and I need to quit pushing my luck with tires,I had the truck 5 years and it sat a couple years before I got it and who knows how long they were on the truck.  I really did not want to put new tires on this truck since it will be getting a 3/4 ton frame next spring but do have other vehicles they can be used on.

Karma...........driving old stuff like I do, I always try and help people who are having issues on the road When I come across them.

• Like 2

When my daughter started driving to High School I gave her a '65 Buick Electra, about the turn of the century. I told her it was special and couldn't be used to jump cars. I put a battery jumper pack in the trunk and showed her how to use it. She used it a few times that I know of. And I think it impressed the male breeding stock when she knew how to use it.

001.thumb.JPG.c856c5f45bdc8d290a412767ac46af90.JPG

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

Well kids, here's a lesson of the day: It does pay off keeping ones vehicles and their equipment (jack, tires, spare, etc...) maintained and in reliable working order to lessen the impact of frustration, along with waste of time & money brought on by mostly preventable episodes similar to one depicted in OP. 

While I might (sort of) understand if ones survival driving unreliable/-safe vehicles is the only option in case of an emergency, etc and unexpected s**t can happen even with everything new and in good working order, but why would anyone stack odds against themselves in attempt to save money on something related to their hobby and expect sympathy ?

Edited by TTR (see edit history)

Junkyard Jeff, I had a negative experience one time as well. I was picking up a rolling shell, didnt really need it, but it was rust free and a good price. It was located about 2 hrs or so from home. I took my f150 and trailer, left about 8 am and figured I would be home for lunch. Got there no problem, loaded car then my truck died. It was an electronic problem, I ended up needing a rollback to get home. It was about 7 pm by the time it was all over. THEN for dinner I had what was left of the cold linguine noodles, heated in the microwave. First bite (of a soft noodle) and my tooth broke in half. Overall, it was a pretty BAD day!

• Like 1

I was hoping to get one more trip out of those tires but that did not happen and I do remember using the jack once or twice but it was froze up so bad like it just came out of the bottom of a lake and how could that have happened in only a couple of years,from now on they will be stored under or behind the seat and not in the engine compartment.

I have seen spare tire wells full of water before, we get A Lot of rain. Think one car was parked over a sprinkler.

Am bothered by modern cars (like my DD CTS) that do not even provide a spare (or a place for one) and just a teensy tire inflator (one step past "has a spare but no place to put the road wheel" like a Fiero.)

That said the last time I had a tire come apart was a pair of Firestone 500s about 300 miles from home. 1979ish.

Today my long distance trip car is also my tow car, a '12 Jeep Grand Cherokee with DOHC-6. 24 mpg at 70. Better mpg than the Caddy. Part of the "trailer towing package" was a full size spare tire.

My criteria for any car is simple: when raining if I see the traction control light flickering or I start feeling wheel slip, it gets new tires.

ps also have jumper cables in road cars and when going any distance also carry a jump box. Have not transitioned to lithium yet.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

One would think when there is 3/4 tread and just starting to crack they would be good for a few more miles but no its not,what done the tire in was it was plugged and the belt started to come apart at that spot and was in it when I got the truck but now it has 4 new tires so they will go on another vehicle when it gets the 3/4 ton frame.

Why new tires have a nylon cap to keep the tread from separating. Was a big problem with trailer tires until they got one and now most new tires have one also.

plies.jpg

On 8/2/2020 at 1:08 PM, TTR said:

Well kids, here's a lesson of the day: It does pay off keeping ones vehicles and their equipment (jack, tires, spare, etc...) maintained and in reliable working order to lessen the impact of frustration, along with waste of time & money brought on by mostly preventable episodes similar to one depicted in OP. 

While I might (sort of) understand if ones survival driving unreliable/-safe vehicles is the only option in case of an emergency, etc and unexpected s**t can happen even with everything new and in good working order, but why would anyone stack odds against themselves in attempt to save money on something related to their hobby and expect sympathy ?

I do not need anyones sympathy,just describing my adventure to get parts.

10 hours ago, junkyardjeff said:

I do not need anyones sympathy,just describing my adventure to get parts.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, that portion of the comment wasn’t directed at you. It was more of a generalized reference.
Enjoy your adventures.

I was not the only one having tire troubles that day,there were at least 10 others on the side of the road with flat tires and all were much nicer vehicles then my truck.

"if ones survival driving unreliable/-safe vehicles is the only option" - why I have AAA Premier and a dolly. If a trailer is needed U-Haul is close.

Is interesting, usually for a trip over 50 miles I have a small toolbox, jumpers, jump box with inflator, spare tire for TV, spare tire for dolly. If I have one, a spare tire for the car going to look at. Ramps, magnetic lights, gas can, jack stand, and aluminum "racing" jack. Dolly has a winch and electric brakes. Lotsa bungie cords and tie down straps. With seats folded down there is a lot of space. 290 hp DOHC-6 has no problem with any load or trailer. Is mainly a matter of "driving gentle".

Also have a receiver carrier capable to 500lbs. Have carried axles back there before.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)