Sign in to follow this  
jim1941

41 Buick Brakes

Haven't had my car long and still learning mechanicals. Brake pedal went way too low to floor. Took off master cylinder filler cap and found it nearly empty. Didn't take a whole lot to refill it, but noticed an O ring used as a filler cap gasket. Didn't like the way the cap came off (spongy) and don't think this is right. Should there even be as gasket on the cap? Also, please notice in photo's the paint loss off to the side of master cylinder.  I think brake fluid would do that. Master cylinder itself appeared to be dry. Maybe spraying out of the top?  Thanks for advice.  Jim 

fullsizeoutput_aae.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_aaf.jpeg

Benefits of AACA Membership.

Jim again.  Upon closer inspection,  lots of bubbling paint around the brake light switch and looks like ground zero for the leak maybe.  Switch is located just across from the master cylinder but not seen in photos. Recently,  had a service center put in a new brake light switch since car was there for some other work.  Tested to see how tight it was put in.  Can't say it was loose, but I was able to tighten it a fair amount, so now wondering if that's where my fluid loss is coming from.   

Anyway, I am still asking if there should be a gasket on the master cylinder fill cap.  And.... any other thoughts you might have. Thanks again

Posted (edited)

I haven't purposely looked at it in a while -- but I am pretty sure there is a big copper washer that the lid sits in on when you put the lid back on the Master Cylinder...

I have the Master Cylinder brand new, if you need or require.... No core required, No return shipping.....

And, the wheel cylinders, brake hoses, wheel bearings & seals, & BRAKE DRUMS !!!!!!! ---- All American made, if you need or want.....Yours, Craig...

Always best to simply call me --- 516 - 485 - 1935 .... New York....

Edited by mobileparts
Add on (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info Craig. I may need parts in the future and don't want any doubts about my brake system. Still getting used to the car and working out the bugs.

I haven't adjusted the brakes because they were working great until the fluid loss. It is looking like the leak was from the base of that unsecured brake light switch. I'm ready to test the car when I get time. 

Jim