1958 Lincoln Capri Coupe - $9500 - Brick, NJ - Not Mine - Still available, same price, March '21

1958 Lincoln Capri Coupe - $9500 - Brick, NJ - Still available, same price, March '21 - See below.

https://cnj.craigslist.org/cto/d/brick-1958-lincoln-capri-coupe/7168390894.html

2 door hardtop, 430 engine, 89,000 miles. Solid ND body. The car has been sitting for many years, but it runs. It will need restoration to get back on the road. This was a limited production vehicle in original condition.

Copy and paste in your email:  e1306a61c2c933a5aef9da5d03f19ec5@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1958 Lincoln Capri Coupe. 

Note: The Lincoln Capri was the base series though 1959, notice this car has crank windows which were still standard on Lincolns through the 1960 model.  As far as "limited production", only by the number of people who would buy one, which was 2,591.  Just the same, solid original examples are hard to find now.  

'58 Lincoln Capri Coupe NJ a.jpg

'58 Lincoln Capri Coupe NJ b.jpg

'58 Lincoln Capri Coupe NJ c.jpg

'58 Lincoln Capri Coupe NJ d.jpg

'58 Lincoln Capri Coupe NJ e.jpg

'58 Lincoln Capri Coupe NJ f.jpg

'58 Lincoln Capri Coupe NJ g.jpg

'58 Lincoln Capri Coupe NJ h.jpg

'58 Lincoln Capri Coupe NJ i.jpg

Edited by 58L-Y8
Still available, same price, March '21 (see edit history)

The base model was a weird animal.  In addition to crank windows they had a manual seat and a center mounted dome light.  When you moved up to a Premiere, 4-way power seats and power windows were standard, and the dome light was replaced by a reading lamp mounted in each roof pillar for the rear seat passengers.  Except for the reading lamps, every upgrade that came standard on the Premiere was optional on the base model.  I guess they were for people that wanted an all manual car, or a mix of power and manual that you couldn't get on the two higher models.  You don't see them too often.

Another interesting bit about all '58 models -- they used the same Burtex trunk material pattern as the '60 (and '57 and maybe '56) but in '59 they used an oddball one-year-only pattern that you can't get today.

In addition to the funeral home/livery 'town-car' market, these base model luxury cars from Cadillac, Lincoln and Imperial were bought by Depression era survivors who were finally prosperous enough to afford a luxury car but felt still constrained by their life-long frugality,   These types of base luxury cars were great travel-trailer tow cars, would show up at the campground  in the Colorado mountains I worked at while in college in the 1970's.   Cadillac 62.Calais, Lincoln Capri, Imperial Custom, crank windows, no power options, but an Airstream or large trailer on the hitch.  Those from the southern Midwest did have air conditioning, the one comfort/convenience option they would allow themselves.

Personally, when I first became aware of Lincolns in the late 1950's as a car-crazed 8 year old in 1960, visits to Arkport Motrors Lincoln-Mercury, Arkport, NY were always a necessary stop for me to drool over  the Lincolns they had.  In my adolescent mind, true luxury cars had power windows and power seat, unlike our plain-jane '54 Ford.  Imagine my disappointment when I first encountered a '58 Lincoln Capri with crank-windows!  They became forever known as 'Crank-window Capris' to me...like this '58!

Edited by 58L-Y8
Crank-window Capris (see edit history)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, W_Higgins said:

Another interesting bit about all '58 models -- they used the same Burtex trunk material pattern as the '60 (and '57 and maybe '56) but in '59 they used an oddball one-year-only pattern that you can't get today.  

Is that Capri missing its matching spare tire cover?  http://www.kingoftheroad.net/58continental-coupe/source/pink58_253.html Or was it only standard on Premieres and Continental Mark III's? 

Craig

42 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

Is that Capri missing its matching spare tire cover?  http://www.kingoftheroad.net/58continental-coupe/source/pink58_253.html Or was it only standard on Premieres and Continental Mark III's? 

It is missing but I believe it was standard on all models.  The Dealer Data Book doesn't call that out as a separate item and somebody has been in there because the hold-down hardware isn't on the wheel.  Maybe it is just out of view in the photo.  

1 hour ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Personally, when I first became aware of Lincolns in the late 1950's as a car-crazed 8 year old in 1960, visits to Arkport Motrors Lincoln-Mercury, Arkport, NY were always a necessary stop for me to drool over  the Lincolns they had.  In my adolescent mind, true luxury cars had power windows and power seat, unlike our plain-jane '54 Ford.  Imagine my disappointment when I first encountered a '58 Lincoln Capri with crank-windows!  They became forever known as 'Crank-window Capris' to me...like this '58!

Along those same lines, no "Exclusive Paints" for it or the Premiere and one I had forgotten about -- no leather at all in the base model.  It was either "All-Fabric" (which I have never seen in a base model) or Fabric and Cordolan (their vinyl).

I have seen an all-fabric '58 Lincoln Capri sedan in a junkyard here in the east in the mid-'80's.   Black exterior, gray interior, certainly a funeral home livery limousine.  Rough shape at the time and long gone now as is the yard it was in.

21 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

I have seen an all-fabric '58 Lincoln Capri sedan in a junkyard here in the east in the mid-'80's.   Black exterior, gray interior, certainly a funeral home livery limousine.  Rough shape at the time and long gone now as is the yard it was in.

Interesting.  Was it patterned like this just entirely in fabric, and was it this sort of fabric?

I have seen a '60 Continental in all fabric.  Neat car and for the longest time thought it was special order, but no DSO number and  then eventually saw another '60 Continental in a friend's junkyard that had the exact same interior.  It was a biscuit pattern, but not like was standard -- they were smaller and more of them.  The Color and Upholstery album might discuss it but I have never had one to study.

An all-leather Premiere will show up from time-to-time.    

25 minutes ago, W_Higgins said:

Interesting.  Was it patterned like this just entirely in fabric, and was it this sort of fabric?   

Yes, essentially, completely the fabric in this Capri, gray.  It might have been set up specifically for livery ordered cars. 

Found a picture of the parts car.  Actually, I had forgotten that there were two of them in that junkyard with the same gray small-biscuit interior.  Those two cars (and the standard pattern aqua one shown below for comparison) met their demise when the yard was cleaned up several years back.  The nice black '60 with the same special pattern is still out there somewhere.

P5080098.jpg

P5080173.jpg

That gray cloth '60 looks like broadcloth but it has a heavier texture so probably is the jacquard they used in 1960.  Is it the same as what is in your Hess and Eisenhardt limousines, perhaps the 1960 pattern and material?

It might have been.  It was something synthetic but it seemed like it was a different weave.  H&E's (in almost all cases but not 100% of the time) used gray wool broadcloth and it was nothing like that. 

The car shown was Spartan Gray and the other junkyard car was Sapphire, so with that and the Black one they really ran the gamut.  All three were the same gray fabric, though, not matched to the body.  I wish I had paid more attention to the carpet and headliners.

The Spartan Gray car had factory speed control and seat belts.  It's too bad it didn't live a better life.  Given the part of the yard it was in, it was probably shot structurally before it was put out there.  Different car but from the same yard -- this is not the way to buy a unibody Lincoln!

P5080129.jpg

• 58L-Y8 changed the title to 1958 Lincoln Capri Coupe - $9500 - Brick, NJ - Not Mine - Still available, same price, March '21