The phone rang... and then the next car adventure starts

edinmass

Just got into the hotel......917 miles straight through. 7am meeting to drive over to the garage. Hope to be loaded and on the road to the next stop by 930. Time will tell. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, vintagerodshop said:

Not surprised @edinmass always cheaped out with his car and truck maintenance.

Your only saying that because of the photo you sent to me yesterday..................crunch!😝

• Haha 2

9:30 !  How can you leave that early ?  We expect at least a good two hours of pictures 

Have fun, be safe. And when possible post pics, we are all looking forward to them. 
dave s 

ps. Check the hitch and tires! 

• Like 1

Reminds me of the run to get the Judge. Left after work on Friday, 1200 miles to Joplin MO by 10am Sat. Futzed a bit, loaded trailer and back in O'town by 10 am on Sunday. That's when that pic was taken.

rig3.jpg

1,000 miles is just around the block. Of course that was before we knew all of the dangers.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2020 at 6:41 PM, trimacar said:

No problem on the Cord, I’m starting to hide it....er, uh, CLEAN it up for you, darn autocorrect.....a four speed for a four speed, 

Whats the old story, guy walks into an auto parts store, asks the counter man “how about an oil filter for a Pinto”? ....counter man thinks for a minute, says yeah, that sounds like a fair trade....

... Or the gal who tells her quilting buddies :

"I got a Camaro for my husband",

and her friend responds "Good Trade"

• Like 1

I think todays are better but they certainly do no look any better.  The enclosed trailers should have windows all down the sides so we can see what is hiding inside.

That’s a 1915 4-45 White..........very similar to what I am picking up in a few hours. The 15 is a four speed but it’s direct.....no OD. If I am not mistaken, the GL has a ten inch longer chassis............production from 15-17 was very very low. The numbers tossed around is 70 cars in three years...........the duel valve Model GL is known in the factory literature as the High Power. Horse power ratings on the engine rumored to be around a range  of 68-75 . May just have to put it on a dyno to find out.

I have spoken to most of the “White Gasoline” auto guys........only trying to still reach one of them that hasn’t responded yet. They all love their cars, and it seems every gas car known is running and active......except mine. One thing is certain.........they never made two cars the same. Reading between the lines.......truck production was more important to them than the cars..............

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, vintagerodshop said:

Today's trailers and trucks are a lot better. No windows. I don't want to advertise what I have. To many people what to take what they don't earn.20200408_094701.thumb.jpg.aa09c5a5f9ce31a998d98f1a281fa700.jpg20190410_085841.thumb.jpg.6c7d6bd36e14b5bd941f9c469122fa3e.jpg

Fantastic rig..........only drawback is the DOT and scales when hauling..........

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SC38DLS said:

9:30 !  How can you leave that early ?  We expect at least a good two hours of pictures 

Have fun, be safe. And when possible post pics, we are all looking forward to them. 
dave s 

ps. Check the hitch and tires! 

There are schedules and then there is reality.    If he is out by 10:30 I will be impressed.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, edinmass said:

That’s a 1915 4-45 White..........very similar to what I am picking up in a few hours. The 15 is a four speed but it’s direct.....no OD. If I am not mistaken, the GL has a ten inch longer chassis............production from 15-17 was very very low. The numbers tossed around is 70 cars in three years...........the duel valve Model GL is known in the factory literature as the High Power. Horse power ratings on the engine rumored to be around a range  of 68-75 . May just have to put it on a dyno to find out.

I have spoken to most of the “White Gasoline” auto guys........only trying to still reach one of them that hasn’t responded yet. They all love their cars, and it seems every gas car known is running and active......except mine. One thing is certain.........they never made two cars the same. Reading between the lines.......truck production was more important to them than the cars..............

Do you know who has the huge 1912  Model 60 that belonged to AACA founding member Ted Brooks. At 132" wheelbase,  six cylinderrs 41/4 x 53/4, and a 4 speed it was very impressive. Always wondered who has this rare and desirable car now.

8 hours ago, PFindlay said:

Here's 1915 White 4 cylinder, single valve.  Still a great tour car and a beauty to look at.

1915 White.jpg

Is that the White that has the odd Continental { Same brand as the tires } rims  Split radially  with many little locking tabs . Twist one of the rim halves slightly to lock or unlock .

Greg

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

6 hours ago, edinmass said:

Fantastic rig..........only drawback is the DOT and scales when hauling..........

Not sure that applies to Private Coach. Almost any kind of commercial vehicle can be subject to DOT requirements, even a minivan! Most people dont realize but if you have an F250 that is commercial you need a DOT #,  If youre pulling a trailer you better have a Medical card as well!!

It’s 930 the car is loaded and I’m on the road. The car is five times better than I expected it’s an absolute time warp. 

• Like 10

GREAT to read happy things are happening in this ongoing continuous era of health concerns, unrest, protests, and complaints about any and everything that isn't going just the way someone promised you  - old cars and reading about the experiences like this bring us kindred souls some relief from all the negativity. Thanks for the post and the details of same Ed, it makes us feel like we are  there riding along with you for the joy of the experience.

Life is very short everyone , enjoy what you can while you can. Don't hesitate or wait to tell your friends and family you appreciate and love them. Give your old car a pat on the fender, your puppy and kitten a pat on the head  , look around and really appreciate what you have . Know that you are reading this because a great car club - AACA - has been around for 85 years to serve its membership , preserve the history of vehicles , and give us all an excuse why we spend the time and hard earned $ we do on "used cars" ! 🙄

• Like 8

Depending on where you are, it is good to plan trips to avoid city rush hours. I-95 heading into DC is not a good place to be at 8 am. Looks like a great rig but more than I could ever justify. Have tow bars and a dolly (license and separate insurance not required) but for a car trailer, U-Haul is close.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, edinmass said:

It’s 930 the car is loaded and I’m on the road. The car is five times better than I expected it’s an absolute time warp. 

Wow, that's great .... that means my finder's fee gets not just doubled but quintupled!! ....let's see, have my calculator right here,  enter the zero, then the times sign, then the five.............Oh.  Never mind....

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

Who here knows what the two happiest days of White Touring car ownership are?   I think today is one of those days.

Ed is back on the road running an errand for me but will do a complete report when he gets home.

IMG_0170.jpg

IMG_0174.jpg

Ed told me that he had about 3/8 inch clearance from the top to his trailer, and was glad he hadn't aired up the tires any more!  Regarding the "two happiest days" comment, a friend who's worked on an early White tells me that owning a White is great....as long as it's someone else who owns it....he told me if I'd bought the thing he would have come over and tap danced on my pointy little head trying to get some sense into me....

• Haha 1

On another topic, you can see there are some Model T parts laying around, and more outside, at the place where the White lived. 

The owner has apparently told the caretaker to get rid of all the T parts, even it that means sending them to scrap.  Anyone into T's around the Roanoke Virginia area should get moving....Ed should have the caretaker's contact info now, I would think, if not I have the owner's info....

13 minutes ago, trimacar said:

Ed told me that he had about 3/8 inch clearance from the top to his trailer, and was glad he hadn't aired up the tires any more!  Regarding the "two happiest days" comment, a friend who's worked on an early White tells me that owning a White is great....as long as it's someone else who owns it....he told me if I'd bought the thing he would have come over and tap danced on my pointy little head trying to get some sense into me....

Is that almost a universal rule for all cars?   They are way more fun when your buddy owns them.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1/3 of the way home. Should arrive around 8am tomorrow. Heavy traffic, lots of rain, so my speed is slower for safety. Lots of interesting things to report. More to come...................

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just got home, 2156 miles in 58 hours, including sleeping for 8 hours total. Will post more later today. Car is fantastic.........lots of new info and finds. Best, Ed

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

One of my favorite sayings is........when you buy a good car you will be content, when you buy a great car, you will be happy, because it keeps getting better and better.

The car is unique. It’s build quality is fantastic. Not a single dent and no rust. Body is aluminum. Car has its original keys. Leather and carpets will survive......the top is too far gone to save............the car was a deep maroon body, black fenders. Maroon wheels with elaborate stripes. The radiator shell was maroon, with large dual black stripes, and brilliant red pin stripes. Engine turns, and has compression. The clock is not missing, it never had one. 12 volt system. Oil guage, charging guage, speedo with odometer. Electric horn, special kill switch for the mag. Found the factory mirror. Two glove boxes that lock, and three tool storage areas that lock in the splash pans. Rubay body tags on both sides of the cowl. The quality of construction is fantastic.......think Rollston or Brewster. Yes, it’s that good. Found all the numbers......chassis, body, and engine numbers match. It’s going to need all new wiring. The shifting pattern is in a cast aluminum plate surrounding the base of the shifter.....very neat. Engine pans are in the car........I was skeptical comparing this car to a Pierce, Loco, or Winton...........not anymore. It’s the best body construction I have ever seen Pre WW1........it’s that good. Wheels were maroon with elaborate striping, 25 gallon tank with a rear mounted guage like a Pierce. Windshield folds open in two directions. It’s 7’4 1/2 inches tall. Top has side windows in it. Also, I have all the side curtain brackets and curtains. If I rewire  the mag I think it will start. Nothing appears to have ever been touched. It’s the original exhaust system.........looks like a cut out.....have not got under there yet. From what I can find, they rated it at 72 horsepower. Found a spare carb in the tool box. The way the jump seats slide on rails under the front bucket seats......makes the car appear as a large clover leaf touring. Still more to find.....I only spent ten minutes going over it. Standing next to the car you understand how it was more money than a Packard Twin Six or a Pierce. It’s definitely ten steps up from the early small gas Whites I remember as a kid in the HCCA. The engine is huge......but it doesn’t come across that way in photos. Spend three min under the hood and you come away impressed. Chassis was 3500 and the body was 1400 new. Strange electrical system.........everything seems to be sourced in Cleveland.....they kept it local. Spoke to my neighbor who is not a car guy.......told him I bought a White..........he knew what it was.........really strange. Rear brakes are internal/external. Pedals show no wear from feet.....so the 11,200 miles is certainly correct. More to follow when I get some more sleep.........

A1212FAA-A6AD-4B39-84CA-3944A0BF6160.png

706BC4D9-7356-4F8F-93CD-31B56348388B.png

9B29E2E6-2C0A-441C-B8B1-A476A0183AE3.png

6755ADCA-BD56-4AEC-B450-4CAC67B2E866.png

• Like 12

46 minutes ago, 1935Packard said:

Magnificent, Ed!  Sounds super cool.

Would you expect anything else?🤔

Got to love yesterday’s 9th ruling......finally a win for the good guys!

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, wayne sheldon said:

So what does the wife think of it? (No response required.) We of course think the car is fantastic! A truly incredible find this late in the game. 

Now get some sleep.

She doesn’t know I bough it yet.......which is the truth...........cars are my world...........she doesn’t car for them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2