The phone rang... and then the next car adventure starts

edinmass

On 8/8/2020 at 9:47 AM, John_Mereness said:

I thought the Saab used needles bearing too or instead of roller - neighbors had a SAAB's couple and I recall him making the comment that at a certain point of mileage/wear you had to rebuild as if you let the wear exist you stood the chance of the bearings pilling up on themselves and damaging the "case" which was also the "race"  ?

The crank used large ball bearings while the rods used the needle type in a cage for both the crank end and and the wrist pin. The crankshaft has to be taken apart totally to replace the bearings and then pressed back together, then it needs to be straightened to run true. Neat little engines, I lifted the whole thing out of the car without a hoist.

The rod bearings could have issues and were known to trash the crank throws, the original style of rod bearing is no longer available, I don't think that issues exists today with the replacement bearings.  

Edited by Lahti35 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 8/8/2020 at 9:47 AM, John_Mereness said:

I thought the Saab used needles bearing too or instead of roller - neighbors had a SAAB's couple and I recall him making the comment that at a certain point of mileage/wear you had to rebuild as if you let the wear exist you stood the chance of the bearings pilling up on themselves and damaging the "case" which was also the "race"  ?

3 hours ago, Lahti35 said:

The crank used large ball bearings while the rods used the needle type in a cage for both the crank end and and the wrist pin. The crankshaft has to be taken apart totally to replace the bearings and then pressed back together, then it needs to be straightened to run true. Neat little engines, I lifted the whole thing out of the car without a hoist.

The rod bearings could have issues and were known to trash the crank throws, the original style of rod bearing is no longer available, I don't think that issues exists today with the replacement bearings.  

Thanks !

• Like 1

Ed, I think Norfolk is quite a bit out of the way, but if you're in the area and need anything, don't hesitate to holler!

Honestly, if it wasn't for this stupid virus (and the restrictions my work is putting on me), I'd offer to fly down and copilot with you, just for a chance to see the cars and learn some things.

Edited by Ken_P (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I

On 8/8/2020 at 4:36 PM, SC38DLS said:

To get to know someone like Ed and see his collection would be an experience I will do my best to make happen. I believe his generous offer is just an extension of how much he has given all of us on this forum with his sharing of his knowledge and advice. 
dave s 

You’re giving him too much credit. I know Ed pretty well and he’s much better on the forum then in real life! He does make an interesting road trip companion though!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, yachtflame said:

I

You’re giving him too much credit. I know Ed pretty well and he’s much better on the forum then in real life! He does make an interesting road trip companion though!

Wayne........your giving up all my secrets! As far as the road trips.......all those booze filled nights with slow cars and fast women still bring a smile to my face. The time we were drinking on you boat in the Virgin Islands was also a great time! 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, edinmass said:

slow cars and fast women

Now I figured out where I screwed up.  Time to get some older slower cars or a faster wife or atleast girlfriend,  just don't tell the current one.  I'll probably have to borrow more money from her for the next car and I don't want it to affect my line of credit.  ;) 

• Haha 2

UPDATE:

Tomorrow after lunch the adventure starts, road trip. I will post the day’s activity each evening. I plan on loading the car Friday morning, and will put a few photos up as soon as possible. Told the wife tonight at dinner I was leaving for a few days. With all the quality family time the pandemic has offered she was glad to hear I was leaving for a few days. She has no clue I bought another car. When I get it home Saturday, I will show her the new toy.............I just love surprises! 

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

29 minutes ago, edinmass said:

UPDATE:

Tomorrow after lunch the adventure starts, road trip. I will post the day’s activity each evening. I plan on loading the car Friday morning, and will put a few photos up as soon as possible. Told the wife tonight at dinner I was leaving for a few days. With all the quality family time the pandemic has offered she was glad to hear I was leaving for a few days. She has no clue I bought another car. When I get it home Saturday, I will show her the new toy.............I just love surprises! 

It won't be as bad as the time my brother bought a Korean war area M41 Bulldog tank and his wife didn't know until she saw him coming up the driveway. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 8/9/2020 at 1:33 AM, cahartley said:

International Harvester built 215,551 McCormick Deering 10-20 tractors

I have fond memories of the 10-20.  The only vacation we ever took growing up on an Iowa farm was when dad broke his wrist cranking the 10-20 and we went to Colorado for 10 days.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, alsancle said:

It won't be as bad as the time my brother bought a Korean war area M41 Bulldog tank and his wife didn't know until she saw him coming up the driveway. 

Personally, I don’t see anything wrong with this scenario.......

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, SC38DLS said:

Ed does it really matter what you think about it or Is what your wife thinks the real concern? 
I know what it would be in our house. 
dave s 

The funny part is we were talking about getting her a new car next month, but now she will have something better.....a 103 year old car that hasn’t run in 70 years. What more could she ask for?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Shucks, Ed, you'll only be a few hours away picking up the car, but I know your route doesn't include going through Winchester!  Bob told me that most everything else in the building has been sold, so don't think there's any picking to do.  The last time I visited I tripped over an open valve Model T engine laying by the door, but have been told that's gone too.   If the TT is still there, please take a picture or two, if still available what a bargain for someone looking for a truck.   Have fun and be safe!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, edinmass said:

Personally, I don’t see anything wrong with this scenario.

Neither did I.  I was 10 and still have great memories of that vacation.  My older sister and I used to talk about where we would go next if Dad broke something else.  Never happened

BUMMER - Hooked up the trailer.....BIG PROBLEM!  Hitch weld fractured in two places.....in process of replacing it now........wont leave till 2am. Such is the way of cars.............ED

Additional info.........we spent two days going over the truck and trailer. We were all set and ready to go, hooked up........and the weight distribution hitch is out of adjustment. My trusty side kick, who helps around the shop, has been taught that when I say something it MUST be my way 100  percent. Well.....he comes to me and says something is different..........I say STOP........unhook, and let’s inspect the trailer and truck. A quick check proves the trailer fine........it’s a 21k gvw so I knew it wasn’t the trailer. Then we looked at the truck and hitch..........sure enough, by eye I could see something wasn’t right. Took of the trailer hitch and found four broken welds of thr six holding it together. Long story short, I put a new hitch on it and just finished. So, instead of driving the 850 miles in a split day on the way up,  I will now leave at 2 am and do it in one day. Safety first! Update Thursday night at 5 or 6 pm. Best, Ed.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 6

Remember driving to Mid-Ohio with an ASR backwards on a tandem trailer (rear mid SBC). Had the hitch break off at speed on the Interestate (I-71 ?). Hung on thechains and was able to nestle the spoiler against the Econoline's rear door (didn't even crack it) & coast to a stop. Pulled racer off and was able to tie up the trailer to get to an exit. Unfortunately someone had to drive the ASR to the next exit and at slow speed it loaded up fast. Was needful to clean it out. Several times.  8*).

• Like 1

If you don’t have religion before the trailer breaks away from your tow vehicle.......you find in in three seconds flat trying to figure where the trailer and truck are going to end up while doing the “tumbling dice” routine. I have never had it happen while driving, but I have been in a truck when the trailer departed. Good safety equipment saved a bunch of school kids on the side of the road waiting for their school bus. That was scary ! I NEVER gamble when towing.....never, never, never. And still dangerous situations occour while we are paying attention. There is a reason to do a safety check EVERY time you stop.......every time. 

• Like 6

and after the first 10-20 miles. Always. Check tire and bearing temperatures. You may not feel a dry bearing or dragging brake but it will get hot. A back up camere you can turn on while driving is nice. I usually aim the edge of the side mirrors at the trailer tires. Amazon has some nice clip on mirror extensions that can mimic the trailer width.

Should this be another thread ?

• Like 2

I was very thankful having a separate manual button to apply electric trailer breaks independent from truck once. Going down a mountain when we hit black ice the trailer with two horses and a very full tack room started coming around. I couldn’t touch the truck breaks or I would have completely lost it. Used the trailer only and it was enough drag to get it straight as I passed the jack knifed semi at the bottom of the hill. 
Safety is the only way to go when pulling a trailer. Even empty they can really put you in a very precarious situation very quickly. 
Some say that extra spare tire or taking time to check the tires every stop is silly, it takes little time to be sure you are as safe as possible. 
dave s 

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, edinmass said:

If you don’t have religion before the trailer breaks away from your tow vehicle.......you find in in three seconds flat trying to figure where the trailer and truck are going to end up while doing the “tumbling dice” routine. I have never had it happen while driving, but I have been in a truck when the trailer departed. Good safety equipment saved a bunch of school kids on the side of the road waiting for their school bus. That was scary ! I NEVER gamble when towing.....never, never, never. And still dangerous situations occour while we are paying attention. There is a reason to do a safety check EVERY time you stop.......every time. 

I learned my lesson as just last fall I was towing a Reatta home using a tow dolly and one of the straps came off. I still had the under car chains connected, but it was unsettling finding only one strap connected.

• Like 1

Just now, padgett said:

I believe in Tekonsha brake controllers - they have both manual and very good automagic controls. Can set everything. Not the cheapest but worth it.

Cheap and trailer should never be in the same paragraph.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

OK just for fun, how many have their trailer equipped with TPMS visible in the TV cab ? (had to use a WiFi system to get enough reach. Had the same problem with a camera on the back of a 27 foot trailer. Ones that go on the valve stem can even be used with a dolly and Toad and have both pressure and temperature.

• Like 1

I read a post on an RV site that said the mistake a lot of people make is clipping the emergency brake cable to the hitch itself, if it all breaks off (which can happen) then no automatic emergency brake.  Cable should be attached to tow vehicle itself, like an eyelet on a license plate bolt.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, edinmass said:

UPDATE:

She has no clue I bought another car. When I get it home Saturday, I will show her the new toy.............I just love surprises! 

Can't someone call Ed's wife tommorow? Ask if Ed got home with his new old car yet?

Please

Charley

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

21 hours ago, padgett said:

and what was left of the driveway after the Bulldog (23.5 tons) ?

Not as much of a mess as you would think.   It still had its metal tracks too.   The flatbed made it in to the cul-de-sac and my brother off loaded having never driven a tank before in his life.   The neighbors all came out on their porches and they were not smiling.   This was almost 20 years ago and I wish I had some pictures.

He eventually migrated to only WWII armor and then figured out the only thing dumber than what we collect is heavy armor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1