The phone rang... and then the next car adventure starts

edinmass

While Ed is away, I've had my 3D printer running to make the casting patterns for the air compressor/tire pump, 26 hours per pattern.  I got three printed successfully, was 90% through #4 when the printer developed a problem, started leaking melted plastic where it shouldn't.  After fiddling with it for a couple days, I ordered some new parts (cheap!).  The $175 printer has more than 1000 hours on it, so maybe not surprising that some parts wore out.  It's back together now, about 60% through #4, will be done tonight.  Then they will be off to the bronze foundry.

Ed wants to print direct-to-metal for the actuator arm, should work OK.  I also uploaded the file for the cap of the inlet valve to Shapeways.com to see if that could also be directly printed in metal.  I was pleasantly surprised that they can make them in a stainless steel-bronze mixture for only $16 each.  These are hollow domes with holes, about 9/16" diameter x 1.25" high.  

Here is a 1 minute video about creating the casting patterns for the compressor.  Click the link.

https://youtu.be/r55DFcc7Elc

2081110071_compressorcastingpatterns.jpg.cbcea0bdfbdf6edcad9049a6d0c4dbe3.jpg

3D printed patterns for the White tire pump compressor.  Size is 2.5" x 4" x 5.25".  Casting will weigh about 3 lbs.  Note: two in white PLA, two in clear PLA.

The unfinished one can't be used, unfortunately.

1360439217_inletcap1.png.b256c5cf59d521274f3ed532f30cd072.png

Cap for the inlet valve, about 9/16" diameter x 1.25" high, hollow, with 12 holes.  Can be printed directly in stainless steel-bronze for only $16 each.

Edited by Gary_Ash (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Thanks Gary, I will try and call you tomorrow. 

We spent the day today in Orange County Ca with a world famous collector and historian of all things automotive. Name and photo delete for privacy. We saw things I have never seen before in over fifty years of historical automobile collecting.  Off now to the Flying A Garage in Pasadena. Another world class collection of a great friend and true car guy..........tomorrow should prove just as interesting. Ed

If you google the name, there is a YouTube video of it done in 2018.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

Interesting Pebble pre trip. Visited another forum member who for privacy reasons I won’t mention. Great collection of 20’s and 30’s original cars. The Stutz fire truck was a particular favorite of mine, as was the V-12 Pierce. It’s great to visit people you only see at Hershey or interact with by email or the forum.....👍👍👍

Visited another collection yesterday.........190 machines in the collection all properly displayed. It was very well done. The restoration shop,was particularly interesting. Did I mention that these were ALL airworthy planes? Fantastic place, all owned by one gentleman. Propeller and jet aircraft both, with a few rotary wing tossed in. We were allowed to hang around the shop for an hour, and even were allowed to examine things of particular interest “hands on”. It was at Chino airport.......and the collection is called “Yanks”. A must visit............if you are in the area. Today, we will visit another aircraft collection......around 200 units also.

09FAD79D-400C-4AF0-ACEF-27C68BCB472E.jpeg

EE076450-5307-409E-83BD-ECE12EDAA756.jpeg

4FC65381-0975-422B-8E7B-54B5AEC6173E.jpeg

C91545D1-0178-494E-BE72-B0D17277CEFE.jpeg

ADAD3C9D-4DA7-429A-A179-57B7CA907C15.jpeg

A97BAD01-A44E-47F4-BE87-FE46BAF280A2.jpeg

CA8941DF-F942-469B-B643-044BF1908959.jpeg

• Like 2

Interesting day. Spent 3 1/2 hours one on one with Jay Leno at his garage. I have had many interesting experiences in my life, and this is one of the more interesting ones. Will report in detail in a few days. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One of the nice things about Jay Leno, is he doesn't seem to mind people 'dropping' his name, and telling of their meetings and visits. Even I met Jay Leno once, quite by accident. I was attending a national model T club tour in Southern Califunny, and ran into him at a Burger King drive through! He was driving a Bentley (1931 if I recall correctly?). We chatted like old friends for a good five minutes, before I realized who he was! We talked about his Bentley, a 'bike' show he had attended earlier that day, our model T, and the tour we were attending.

So many big collectors, and I know for some good reasons, don't want much information shared. One long-time good friend of mine became a lot more reclusive after a businessmen's group he hosted posted a bunch of photos and even directions to his collection online. I have been fortunate to know a few major collectors over the years. I always try to respect their wishes in this matter, and rarely mention their names to anyone that doesn't also know them.

I do sometimes mention Jack Passey, however almost everybody knew Jack! He was just that kind of a guy. And the world was a bit different in those days.

• Like 3

Had a very nice time checking out Jay’s collection. We are both Massachuetts guys, and had many in common car friends from back in the 70’s and 80’s. Collection was huge........well laid out. Interesting seeing what he collects.........much, much more performance oriented than I would have guessed. His crew is top notch, and I would describe them as exceptionally talented. Not much work done there is routine. His fabrication and machine shop equipment are very state of the art...........and certainly where the future of the hobby lays. Our old manual machines are going to go the way of the dinosaur. I especially enjoyed seeing the steam collection in person............I expressed an interest in a very rare early motorcycle that I had a relationship with back in the 70’s........he walked over to it, and expertly opened the fuel, primed the carb, set the choke, and kicked it over......It fired off like it was running the day before. He knew the obscure machine like the back of his hand. He knows every machine, and their starting habits. Very impressive. He also started another very early machine that was of interest to us. Overall it was just like visiting any other cars guys collection.......just on a larger scale. He was as easy to talk to as any person here......very laid back, unassuming, and easy going. We got into details on tire choices, alignment settings, wheel application, and other obscure things on early solid axel cars.  We discussed Duesenberg performance envelopes, driving styles, and handling. He was interested in my opinions on some platforms I’m a fan of............including ones I like but he had been given negative reports on. We also got a peek at his library..........which would make anyone heart skip a beat. After a while it was like we knew each other for years.......lots of laughing and “road stories” ..........just all great fun. We felt fortunate to have been guests at such a landmark collection.  Ed

• Like 16

Ed, pictures are ok but the stories about what one is experiencing can paint a lot of unseen pictures. Sometimes those pictures are better than actual ones.  You painted a very good one of Jay starting the bike. Give us more of those. 
dave s 

• Like 3

I could have done ten pages on the visit, but do not wish to disrespect the privilege that was afforded to us. Simply put......it’s a wonderful place to visit if you have gasoline in your veins. 

• Like 3

Ed, I was looking on the internet and saw a 1910 White G A sportster for sale on Hyman’s site. He says it should be easy to get sorted and running!  $89,000 

Maybe he should talk to you before he says that to a buyer? 

20 hours ago, SC38DLS said:

Ed, I was looking on the internet and saw a 1910 White G A sportster for sale on Hyman’s site. He says it should be easy to get sorted and running!  $89,000 

Maybe he should talk to you before he says that to a buyer? 

Not interested in any car with such a small horsepower gasoline  engine. The next White will be steam, if we can find something.......not an easy task.

55 minutes ago, edinmass said:

The next White will be steam

Ed, when you first started down the White road I figured it was only a matter of time before you lusted after one of their fantastic steamers.

i hope your search is successful. Though I must say I am surprised you haven't picked-up a white truck to round out the fleet or perhaps an early Cletrac. (LOL)

All good fun! Please keep sharing the adventure!

Cletrac- been there, done that.

Oliver tractor is still on my list of things to have.......for a short time.

The steam car will be tough, as what we want and our budget may not come together. Biggest issue is modified and altered cars that don’t run. How do you fix something if you don’t have all the factory parts to work with. Too many cars have been altered to make them better, of because people were too cheap to do it right.......and thus they are forever garage art. Time will tell. We have three cars ahead of us before we could get to a steamer. I would expect a steamer will take a year to sort.........

• Like 2

Yes, I can see Ed standing up in the White steamer, just like William Howard Taft, and addressing the multitudes at an AACA meet!  Here's a great video about the steamer that Taft bought in 1909.  It's now in the Heritage Museum in Sandwich, MA, but I don't think they would sell it to Ed - but it never hurts to ask.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1GZkZTkZjw

383798180_Whitesteamer-Taft1024.png.7037323502e3476ef6fbab558bc68dcc.png  

• Like 2

Some people are lucky with love, others are lucky with the lottery, poor old Ed? He just gets lucky with photos. In this case, my car in 1944! 😎

34BD8B58-8D08-4D99-8790-D631D66BA5CA.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4

On 8/13/2021 at 12:21 PM, Terry Harper said:

Somehow I think this would fit very well into Ed's drive it like you stole it mantra. A nice recreation representing a ton of work.

Steam Car Network Blog

I am told, a significant part of the original car survives.......but I can’t tell you where, or I would have to kill you. 😎

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, edinmass said:

I am told, a significant part of the original car survives.......but I can’t tell you where, or I would have to kill you. 😎

Now that would be cool! (Not the killing part) but if a portion of it was still around (LOL)

It’s definitely around. I would take it on as a project. Problem is, it’s a giant hole to toss money in........but a worthwhile cause. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, edinmass said:

Some people are lucky with love, others are lucky with the lottery, poor old Ed? He just gets lucky with photos. In this case, my car in 1944! 😎

34BD8B58-8D08-4D99-8790-D631D66BA5CA.jpeg

Awesome.  Where did you come across that?  Someone in the family have it?

Family member recently found it. The tires on it were replaced in 1947 when Henry Ford had a special batch made in a limited production run at Firestone. They were on the car when I bought it. They are now JoeP’s for his 1910 project. The car had white walls on it when new.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Well,  time marches on. The second 1917 White has a date to be trucked down south soon......before the end of the month...........as well as the “unknown mystery car”. Looks like we will have our hands full before too long. Lots happening around the shop........most of it can’t be photographed or published. Too bad, as I’m certain most of our members would enjoy the current projects. Also: We have a sniff of another White automobile...........this one is not a four or six, it’s a twin. We are rather confused........it doesn’t have an ignition system, so not sure how we will get it moving if we manage to land it. It’s only a distant possibility right now......but with a bit of time maybe we can make something come together. Had an offer on a early gas White recently also. Neat car, but just doesn’t  fill our requirements (read that as not enough horsepower)..........stay tuned, by the end of September it’s gonna get interesting. 

• Like 4

Well, let's see.  You said you turned down an early gas White because it wasn't powerful enough.  The earliest White gas cars were 30-and 40-hp.  Steamers were 20 and 40.  So I guess the two-cylinder White in question is a 40?  Although, steam horses tend to be bigger than gas horses, so maybe a 20-horse steamer would be enough.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

And now, the saga continues……….The Great White 2.0

It should be an interesting adventure. Arrival in Florida in about a week. Phil with the “Hands like George the Animal Steel” will catch it for me while I’m out of town. Since it’s running I expect a driving report within 24 hours of its arrival. The other mystery car is also scheduled to arrive in Florida on the 27th. I will continue with both cars on this thread. Hold onto your underwear! It’s gonna be a bumpy ride! 

441AF9DD-51F7-4443-BB70-0A8C6871BF4B.png

• Like 3