https://www.ebay.com/itm/1931-Cadillac-V-16/274437899017?hash=item3fe5c60309%3Ag%3Ap~4AAOSwxuBfG3gF&LH_ItemCondition=3000|1000|2500

The car is documented from the GM Historical Society with a copy of its original build sheet showing that this car was built just as it sits here today. It was ordered by Clark Cadillac Co. in Portland Oregon May,13th 1931, and delivered June 17, 1931. The car was ordered in Maharajah Maroon with dual side mounts, wire wheels, and goddess hood ornament to name a few.

From the eBay description:

"Last time this very car was sold it was purchased for $82,800 in 2006 in non running condition. Our reserve is less and there are a few on the market and have been on the market recently for near the six-figure amount in the same or lesser condition."

So it appears that the "no reserve" reference is inaccurate.

Nice, straight, solid car..........just needs some $ and some time....................

• Like 1

Looks identical to the Groendyke car that sold for 70 something all in at Arizona in January.  The difference was you could get in that car and drive 300 miles.

It seems that in the past few  years similar cars would be priced above 6 figures. 

At first glance I thought wow, good deal....but I think the blue radiator hoses and the mess under the hood cooled me down pretty quickly.  As mentioned, looks like a solid car, but one which basically is not quite good enough to leave as is, and dreadfully expensive to get it where it should be.  As Matt says, someone with an American Express Centurion Card needs to buy this and fix it.....

• Like 1

Yes, Blue radiator hoses - ? Really? Did we take a trip back to the 1960's and the Age of Aquarius ?

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, TerryB said:

$69,500 got it.

Did it? The last two bids jumped it 35k just before the end of the auction..........just about as fishy as most of the auction numbers you see bid at a no sale. I suspect the last real bid was three or four down from the top.

14 hours ago, edinmass said:

Did it? The last two bids jumped it 35k just before the end of the auction..........just about as fishy as most of the auction numbers you see bid at a no sale. I suspect the last real bid was three or four down from the top.

Did you watch the video of it running - far too loud via exhaust or ... and then it pulled back in the drive with a cloud of smoke behind it ?  I wish it had something other than V-8/V-12 ash trays in the back seat (albeit really nice ones of which one has unusually a compact in it), how do you loose the backs of the jump seats, and a bunch of other little missing and/or broken and/or incorrect trinkets (but as far as 30/31's car more complete than 99% of them, including a lot of restored ones).  All said though, incredibly solid car with solid list of advantages over faults.  Also a car you can restore to exact build sheet specifications = and it will be great looking in colors and ....  I hope it did find a new owner for the price and I hope they have some  exciting plans for it - the car deserves it !!!  

Sidenote:  There is an advantage to this car (a true advantage too)  - it has an adjustable front seat and that is worth gold as to its drive-ability.

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
29 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

... and then it pulled back in the drive with a cloud of smoke behind it ?  

...Sound of the American Express Centurion Card  going back in the wallet....

3 hours ago, Surf City '38 said:

...Sound of the American Express Centurion Card  going back in the wallet....

Good car - if a real buyer at just under 70K it will make them a fine car.  

There as a recent sale of a one in slightly better condition that everyone suspected had been gone through mechanically (or at least some degree mechanically), but it was a bit of a fluke in probably not going as high as it should have and GullwingMotorCars had one three or so weeks ago for more money, but whatever it sold for it did not last long).  And, there are a couple unrestored ones around in over 100K.  They really are fabulous cars.    

I just added to my post above - there is one truly great advantage to this car over other cars (and its other advantages) and that it is a sedan with an adjustable front seat  - you will find a ton of V-16's with fixed walls between the door posts, so the adjustable seat allows ability to fit any height driver is GREAT !!!

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 1
56 minutes ago, Alex D. said:

Just curious as to what this handle is for. Is the rear seat adjustable on this car?

1525680111_Inkeds-l1600(1)_LI(Medium).thumb.jpg.d383c22e0dd23dd6cf7c055c74a5e303.jpg

The handle actually goes through the seat frame - that is why it looks a little odd in photo via someone having it apart and not putting it back tougher correctly - both rear quarters have been reupholstered (I assume via moths or leaky drains in the 1/4 windows via I noticed as color of wool is off, plus ash trays are typically those found in a V-8 and v-12 verses V-16). 

I keep seeing the comment about the body being in solid original condition. I do not think that paint is original as advertised and  was painted years ago. So who knows what is under that red oxide primer and lacquer paint  plus how is the wood. The cost of doing the complete body, wood and paint could turn into a nightmare after getting into it seeing once you start there is no turning back.  

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)
2 hours ago, Joe in Canada said:

I keep seeing the comment about the body being in solid original condition. I do not think that paint is original as advertised and  was painted years ago. So who knows what is under that red oxide primer and lacquer paint  plus how is the wood. The cost of doing the complete body, wood and paint could turn into a nightmare after getting into it seeing once you start there is no turning back.  

A couple of us commenting here have had 1930 and 31 Cadillac's (some with numbers of them, plus parent's with them, friends with them, and ... - the 29-31 were pretty high production cars for Cadillac even considering the depression - when you get to 1932 though it is a whole different story) - this car is pretty typical of what you find in a survivor car (some better and some worse, but pretty typical of a V-16 nevertheless).  

As to this particular car - yes, it has been worked on quite a bit over time, but nothing surprises me (my guess is that it has lead a sheltered life).  I would say pretty rock solid.  

As to the nightmare part you reference - it is a huge 30's sedan and it is almost impossible to "cost effectively" restore it/them whether you are a do it yourself-er, whether you subcontract out portions of it, or whether you turn it over to a shop.  And, you near have to get one in this condition as if you get anything else it really then cuts into the cost margins.  And, it is acres of die cast trim, tons of little obscure expensive trim parts, and ...  Well, I could go on and on and write a book too.   

Personally speaking, I am pretty handy, resourceful, know the cars, and ..., but if you "gave it to me" I would have trouble restoring it to a 99 point level without a queasy feeling in my stomach that I was running up to the level of diminishing returns.   I really do love these projects though and so far so well, I have been able to accomplish - I just worry a lot when doing one.   

On the flip side of the coin:  If you own a shop and decide to work evenings and weekends, a person such as Mark Clayton is geared to be able to absorb more costs via his business expertise/business focus/tools/and .... (there is still a cost value of money trade off though).  There are some nice youtube video's of the 1931 Cadillac V-16 done by Mark Clayton: https://www.youtube.com/c/ARoadLessTraveledwithRestoreCars/videos 

• Like 1

As a sidnote:  This one came up a a few weeks ago for more money (and supposedly sold) and it has its pluses and minuses as well, but equally has that super solid feel about it.

https://forums.aaca.org/topic/347233-1930-cadillac-v-16-limousine-not-mine/?tab=comments#comment-2072202

And, within that post is referenced a Limousine sold by RM that supposedly had been fussed on mechanically and already had a bunch of subtle upgrading (including very decent interior) - it sold for same money as this one, but a fluke in that everyone suspected it would go higher. 

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/az20/arizona/lots/r0010-1931-cadillac-v-16-seven-passenger-imperial-sedan-by-fleetwood/830529

And there is such as this one at significantly higher cost.

https://www.classiccars.ws/sales/1930cadv16imperialsedan4330/index.html

It is one thing to restore a 30/31 Cadillac but the major problem is parts availability. When looking for a project get one as complete like this one is. The pot metal is no problem as there are top quality castings being re manufactured by craftsmen like Mike Butters. But we are also losing very talented people like Bill Scherer who passed a couple of years ago. Bill made parts for dealers example Pete Sanders from rear view mirrors to the outer long running board trim. 

If this one needs carbs good luck finding a pair. The only good pair I know of are for sale by Doug Greer in Cobourg.

The 16, 12 and 8  share the same transmission with the same popping out of second gear problems. Tom Kid who was the only manufacturer for the bass bushing told me last summer he was not making any more so I have his last one on the shelf. (there is a new quick easy fix to get by on if you have no bushing)

What I am saying times are changing and it is going to get tougher for the hard parts unless like mentioned above that you have a liquid cooled credit card.   

Joe up north 

12 hours ago, Joe in Canada said:

It is one thing to restore a 30/31 Cadillac but the major problem is parts availability. When looking for a project get one as complete like this one is. The pot metal is no problem as there are top quality castings being re manufactured by craftsmen like Mike Butters. But we are also losing very talented people like Bill Scherer who passed a couple of years ago. Bill made parts for dealers example Pete Sanders from rear view mirrors to the outer long running board trim. 

If this one needs carbs good luck finding a pair. The only good pair I know of are for sale by Doug Greer in Cobourg.

The 16, 12 and 8  share the same transmission with the same popping out of second gear problems. Tom Kid who was the only manufacturer for the bass bushing told me last summer he was not making any more so I have his last one on the shelf. (there is a new quick easy fix to get by on if you have no bushing)

What I am saying times are changing and it is going to get tougher for the hard parts unless like mentioned above that you have a liquid cooled credit card.   

Joe up north 

Agreed, you need a pretty complete car - this one is better than most.  

And, large 30's cars in general are expensive as to parts (which most people do not realize and quickly get in over their head) matched to difficulty in finding certain parts or the project turns into fabrication. 

As to die cast, whoever you buy parts from it is quite a lot of die cast compared to other cars and expensive as a result.

Bill Sherrer did the work on our 1931 - we replaced every single piece of die cast (exterior and interior - it is  a lot of pieces too, including 4 exterior door handles, 4 interior door handles, 4 interior window cranks, and ....), replaced the 4 hubcaps, replaced the outer running board moldings, and replaced radiator cap, heron, all steering wheel sector segments in brass - except the horn button was original), plus Bill made sidemount tire mirrors, restored the sidemount tire hubcaps and Oakes locks, restored a bunch of stuff on the dashboard, and .... (we did the large chrome like the grill shell, bumpers, cowl moldings, and some small stuff like hood handles, dome and quarter lamps) - in 1976, the bill from Bill I believe was around 12K (using a time value calculator of money that would be 54K today).  Dad and I sold the last 1931 quite a few years ago.

I have not personally bought from Pete Sanders, but I send people to him at least once a year. 

And, I hear Mike Butters name come up, but do not know him. 

I hear the popping out of gear complains, but we never had the problem.   

Tom Kidd is great - we had the same series Franklin at same time.

As to carbs - https://cad-carbs.com/  - https://cad-carbs.com/products/1930-to-1931-cadillac-v-16-carburetors-pair-replaces-johnston-carburetors  - this should be a solution and assume the same quality as their Packard carbs - when I have installed any of their Packard carbs (I think I am at 5 now for friends) it is dreamy (like a whole new car).

Sidenote:  While a solution if ever needed, it is a lot of money to end up with the wrong thing(s) when all said and done RE: As to carbs - https://cad-carbs.com/  - https://cad-carbs.com/products/1930-to-1931-cadillac-v-16-carburetors-pair-replaces-johnston-carburetors  - this should be a solution and assume the same quality as their Packard carbs - when I have installed any of their Packard carbs (I think I am at 5 now for friends) it is dreamy (like a whole new car).