Our first Buick a 55 special

Hey everyone we are newbs.  A few weeks back our Buick found us

We made a wrong turn, passed by a dealership that was closing and the owner was liquidating his inventory.  Long story short we bought her and named her Frida (Kahlo).  I work in Youth Justice and my beautiful partner is an Artist and Teacher.  We put a rebuilt radiator in her, changed the thermostat and thermostat housing cover is on order.  She needs some interior work upholstery and one of the levers for the heat the knob broke off. We also found a 55 special rolling Chassis with operational motor and cowl and steering wheel and components.  Got that parts car for 800 dollars.  I suffer from PTSD due to my line of work and this car has given me a new outlook on life.  We look forward to meeting people in this forum and any tip you folks have please share.

20200712_144852.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bluebeard & Rainbow Brite said:

Hey everyone we are newbs.  A few weeks back our Buick found us

We made a wrong turn, passed by a dealership that was closing and the owner was liquidating his inventory.  Long story short we bought her and named her Frida (Kahlo).  I work in Youth Justice and my beautiful partner is an Artist and Teacher.  We put a rebuilt radiator in her, changed the thermostat and thermostat housing cover is on order.  She needs some interior work upholstery and one of the levers for the heat the knob broke off. We also found a 55 special rolling Chassis with operational motor and cowl and steering wheel and components.  Got that parts car for 800 dollars.  I suffer from PTSD due to my line of work and this car has given me a new outlook on life.  We look forward to meeting people in this forum and any tip you folks have please share.

20200712_144852.jpg

Welcome to you two!  Nice Buick!  I have a particular fondness for yellow and black tri 5 Buicks!  Hope you start a Me and My Buick thread to fill us in on your adventures.  

May we assume your car has the Dynaflow Automatic transmission?  And if yes, have you ever driven one of these before?

• Thanks 1

Well, till you do I just wanted to let you know the dynaflow has a shiftless feel to it while in Drive, and some find this unsettling, thinking the trans needs repair.  Feel free to come back to the site with any questions before sending the car for repair work.  

And otherwise, enjoy the ride!  

Drove a 55 Special to high school.  Very dependable. 0 to ????? And you'll never feel it shift. Leave L alone unless you get stuck.  There is no N between L and R. Don't be too quick to shift from R to L or D with the car still rolling.  A Dynaflow is always in the optimum gear.  That little 264 is fine for cruising around but don't blow it up trying to race some body.

• 3 weeks later...