53 pontiac .. finally painted

It has been some time since I have reported any progress on my 53 4 door... Simply, because there was none.. !! .. but, after 15 months and 3 weeks we finally can get back to work..... Brought it home last night..... Had to put the white walls on first thing !!... Lots of overspray on everything, but..... It's home... 

IMG_20200729_201604187.jpg

• Like 7
36 minutes ago, john hess said:

It has been some time since I have reported any progress on my 53 4 door... Simply, because there was none.. !! .. but, after 15 months and 3 weeks we finally can get back to work..... Brought it home last night..... Had to put the white walls on first thing !!... Lots of overspray on everything, but..... It's home... 

IMG_20200729_201604187.jpg

is that linden green ?

• 3 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, GARY F said:

Any more progress?

Hi Gary.. sorry for delay.... Yes some progress and waiting on some clips for the trim.... I am finding that fit and finish on some things need attention in order to not scratch the new paint.... Most trim pieces need deburred and custom fitted as I have inevitably scratched the soft new paint at some spots... I will be removing the trim after final fitting for paint touch up.... This has been a labor of love for sure and the results are beginning to show.. I will try to keep more current on updates for all who are interested.... Here are the latest.... Enjoy                                                                           As a side note, I am in need of 2 of the pictured clips for the rear gravel guard... Any leads would be appreciated... Thanks, John

IMG_20200812_164028691_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200812_191422616_HDR.jpg

I agree.  Skirts equal Class.... On cars and the ladies... As for the clips, I will be sending RS a sample of a few clips I need... l apologize for poor picture quality on the color of the paint... It is GM 5307 Linden Green, but it seems my "smart" phone has a different idea of what tint to show !!..

On 8/25/2020 at 5:29 AM, john hess said:

It is GM 5307 Linden Green, but it seems my "smart" phone has a different idea of what tint to show !!..

I could lend you my old Polaroid camera but then it would look more Linden Gray!

Looking good John! I've dealt with a fella on this site that said he had access a Pontiac scrap yard to die for. Picked up a couple pieces of chrome trim from him once. Can't remember his name but I could look it up. 

• Haha 1

Thanks Mark... Auburnseeker?.. Well my next challenge will be the windshield and back glass install.. new rubber from Steele.. All stainless polished and ready. Beer.. helper(wife)... Tape.. rope.. soapy water... Patience. !!!!.

Ooops... Well, I need new back glass..!!... Yeah.. it happened..!...  Ok then, move forward.. Now, my question for anyone who has successfully reinstalled glass is this. What is the proper order of install ? Did you install stainless in gasket first before wrapping gasket on glass ? If not, how did you keep the gasket on the curved rear glass ? My gasket is from Steele Rubber. A quality product ?  I am stuggling to get this rubber on the glass and stay in place, even with tape... Any ideas would be greatly appreciated... while I wait for a new rear glass !!

19 hours ago, john hess said:

Ooops... Well, I need new back glass..!!... Yeah.. it happened..!...  Ok then, move forward.. Now, my question for anyone who has successfully reinstalled glass is this. What is the proper order of install ? Did you install stainless in gasket first before wrapping gasket on glass ? If not, how did you keep the gasket on the curved rear glass ? My gasket is from Steele Rubber. A quality product ?  I am stuggling to get this rubber on the glass and stay in place, even with tape... Any ideas would be greatly appreciated... while I wait for a new rear glass !!

do you have the 1953 pontiac fisher body supplement that deals with closed body glass removal and installation ?

This weekend went better than last week.... Front windshield seal went on fairly easy and stainless trim is in it...not on the car yet as I dont have the sealant.....  After last weeks disaster and this weekends success I am thinking the rear glass needs to have the stainless trim installed in the seal first, giving it some rigidity to help installing on the multi- curved rear glass... Any thoughts ?  As I dont have the Fisher suppliments and cant find any online info, am I approaching this in the right direction as I wait for new rear glass... Thanks, John

44 minutes ago, Summershandy said:

Lookin' good John! Wonder why there are so many bumper bolts on these bumpers. I got 5 on each end of my rear one. Was that for bling or options? 

The uppermost two holes under the taillight are for the optional accessory bumper overriders. I don't know what the front one underneath (closest to the rear tire) is for, maybe part of the manufacturing process? My 53 rear bumper has chrome headed plugs in those holes. John Hess you are lookin goooood!

Thanks guys... Yes lots of bolts. I got stainless ones and polished the heads... Match the chrome real nice.  I would think the bottom front hole on the rear bumper would be for curb scratchers most likely.. Picture is the 4 stage polish of the stainless bumper bolt.. John

IMG_20200822_100102577.jpg

Thanks guys... Yes lots of bolts. I got stainless ones and polished the heads... Match the chrome real nice.  I would think the bottom front hole on the rear bumper would be for curb scratchers most likely.. Picture is the 4 stage polish of the stainless bumper bolt.. John

Sorry for the delay..... No reason on the stainless.... Other than no rust and no dents... Price about the same.           Tried to put windshield in......... With sealer, too much !!!!... Lets just say I will be getting a new gasket for the front..... And will be using water only to install this time...